Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM

186 posts, read 175,657 times

Advertisements

Everybody is telling him to cut down on eating out. Have any of you eating something when his wife cooks lol . 500 a month is a lot. I understand that this might be relaxing time, and you look forward to this. Expenses are going to get harder as they get older and everything is going to cost you more. Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
Have any of you eating something when his wife cooks lol .
Hee hee! Sexism is funny! For all you know he's the main cook of the house because her better paying lawyer job gets her home at 7.

Join 2018 sometime, it's neat.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:11 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Don't drop the savings for the trip home, but the food & restaurant budget could definitely be halved, by some meal planning. Maybe when you cook dinner, make enough for lunch the following day, or day after.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM

23 posts, read 34,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Hee hee! Sexism is funny! For all you know he's the main cook of the house because her better paying lawyer job gets her home at 7.

Did you just assume Rollington's gender? How do you know Rollington's a "he"? Why do you assume they are in a he/she relationship? What if they both identify being the same gender?
This makes me mad, I'm terribly offended, you should apologize immediately!!!

How's this for being in 2018? Welcome to the SJW world.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:49 AM

482 posts, read 729,312 times
Jeez. Our taxes are more than your monthly mortgage tax and insurance and our monthly spend isn’t that much more. We also set aside 2k mo on home improvements and furniture. No kids yet which makes a big difference.

What about landscaping, snow removal, Home repairs. Upgrading bathrooms, kitchen, roof replacement, while the occasional big expense, amortizes to a quite a bit on a monthly basis. I’m not seeing much home ownership related expenses.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:56 AM

186 posts, read 175,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post

The post was meant as a joke (lol). No sense of humor .Was the post directed at you NO.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:37 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
JaRuss01, yes the kids make all the difference. We have spent up to $4200/month on childcare for our kids. Slightly less now.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
The post was meant as a joke (lol). No sense of humor .Was the post directed at you NO.
I'd suggest you write a PM then instead of a public post next time, snowflake.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimold View Post
Did you just assume Rollington's gender? How do you know Rollington's a "he"? Why do you assume they are in a he/she relationship? What if they both identify being the same gender?
This makes me mad, I'm terribly offended, you should apologize immediately!!!

How's this for being in 2018? Welcome to the SJW world.
You make good points actually, sorry for jumping to gender conclusions Rollington.

I do refuse to apologize for someone insulting your partner's cooking however, that's a low blow.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:47 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
OP,

-Our monthly expenses look similar, and we have 2 kiddos...not sure if you are factoring in 401k, other retirement, other investments or not. But ours numbers are similar to yours, plus investments/savings/extra house payment/401k each month.

-I didn't see a line item for internet--is that bundled with cable?

-Some small things we've done in the past year: we cut our electricity bill by installing Ecobee and my husband has become obsessed with remotely changing the temperature when we are out to save money (we would forget a lot before). We also re-caulked our leaky windows and put some insulating tape on a few windows that need to be replaced, but we're putting that expense on the back burner for now.

-We cut cable and use a combination of Amazon prime/netflix/Kodii. My husband's family all live in another country, and he just uses Facetime and Whatsapp to call them. We don't have a home phone.

-And we don't have a car payment, because we buy used and we buy cash.

Our mortgage + HOA is also higher, but our grocery/vacay/fun spending budget is similar. We spend an enormous amount on groceries and child-related things (diapers, pullups, pouches, gear, clothes) and I do try to shop sales. But I also buy a lot of organic and I eat Paleo and that's pricey, so it is what it is.

-We don't currently have a gym membership.

-Our kids get only 1 type of class/ lessons a year, but at this point they are only 2 and 4. I can't see us ever paying for additional tutoring services (like Kumon), just because I feel like I can do that myself (I work in education). After 5, we pay add in music along with 1 physical activity like dance or soccer. But that's all. I don't want them to be over-scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey