Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM

40 posts, read 27,654 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

It's official, I got into Rutgers!

I'm still investigating living outside of New Brunswick, and someone (a realtor, so he is biased) told me Somerville would be good. It's small, but according to him there is local life, a nice downtown area, not strip-mall oriented, and there seems to be cute apartments there.

What do you guys really think? I'm used to living in big cities, so it might be a shock. But I can't drive around and visit yet (I live in Philadelphia), so I'm trying to see what people think here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM

280 posts, read 339,355 times
Honestly I'd just live in New Brunswick. Why drive further than you have to? Depending what your studies entail I assume you'll be spending a lot of time on campus. If you really don't want to live in New Brunswick then Somerville is a nice, quieter city to live in.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:04 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
What do we think about a total stranger on the internet that we know got into Rutgers and lives in Philadelphia moving to Somerville when they haven't even looked at it yet?

Well, I think you might think it's too small unless you think it's too large, but it might be just right for what you're looking for. It's going to be the right commuting distance unless it ends up being too far away, and the apartments are going to be the perfect amount of cute unless you think they're too expensive or too twee or too gritty. It's not my kind of place, but then I'm not you at all. Do you like local life or will the local bars feel unfriendly to college students? Is it cute or too hipstery? Is this realtor a good friend who's known you for ten years or someone you called out of the blue?

I'm coming off as sarcastic, but you should really figure out and verbalize what you're looking for in a place or what your budget might be or, frankly, just go visit it and have a look. Because that's going to to get you the best response you're looking for, as it's entirely subjective.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Honestly I'd just live in New Brunswick. Why drive further than you have to? Depending what your studies entail I assume you'll be spending a lot of time on campus. If you really don't want to live in New Brunswick then Somerville is a nice, quieter city to live in.
Thanks. I've read some people saying it was too undergrad-y in NB, which is why I'm worried. I also thought outside NB was more interesting budget wise.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
What do we think about a total stranger on the internet that we know got into Rutgers and lives in Philadelphia moving to Somerville when they haven't even looked at it yet?

Well, I think you might think it's too small unless you think it's too large, but it might be just right for what you're looking for. It's going to be the right commuting distance unless it ends up being too far away, and the apartments are going to be the perfect amount of cute unless you think they're too expensive or too twee or too gritty. It's not my kind of place, but then I'm not you at all. Do you like local life or will the local bars feel unfriendly to college students? Is it cute or too hipstery? Is this realtor a good friend who's known you for ten years or someone you called out of the blue?

I'm coming off as sarcastic, but you should really figure out and verbalize what you're looking for in a place or what your budget might be or, frankly, just go visit it and have a look. Because that's going to to get you the best response you're looking for, as it's entirely subjective.
Some people are really salty on this forum.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:37 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
Are they? Or is the question super vague?

I'll ask you the same thing, would I like Somerville?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,703 times
You might want to check out Highland Park which is right across the bridge from NB. You can walk to NB, and a lot of the graduate students live there.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnjgirl View Post
You might want to check out Highland Park which is right across the bridge from NB. You can walk to NB, and a lot of the graduate students live there.
Thanks, I was just checking that out! Do you know anything about the atmosphere, there? Or may I say--the vibe?

Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Yeah I lived in Highland Park during my grad student years. It has a little Main Street area with the basics: grocery, pharmacy, coffee, convenience stores, liquor, a few restaurants. The apartment stock was a mix of apartment buildings and older houses where you could rent a floor of the house with a few others or a room. HP had a nice “community feel” and a lot of grad students, faculty, etc., were there, along with families, professionals, elderly, etc. I could walk or bike across the bridge to classes on the College Ave campus.

Somerville is a fine town. It has a larger Main Street than Highland Park, but I’m not sure it’s enough to make the commute worthwhile. Also, you’d be more removed from student life. Grad school is much different from the undergrad experience, but being around (or even living with) other grad students can make the experience more enjoyable and help reduce any culture shock you’re worried about.

Parts of New Brunswick are undergraddy, but if you have a healthy budget there are some very nice apartments downtown where you’d be with more young professionals and empty nester adults.

Edit: And congrats on your admission to RU!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah I lived in Highland Park during my grad student years. It has a little Main Street area with the basics: grocery, pharmacy, coffee, convenience stores, liquor, a few restaurants. The apartment stock was a mix of apartment buildings and older houses where you could rent a floor of the house with a few others or a room. HP had a nice “community feel” and a lot of grad students, faculty, etc., were there, along with families, professionals, elderly, etc. I could walk or bike across the bridge to classes on the College Ave campus.

Somerville is a fine town. It has a larger Main Street than Highland Park, but I’m not sure it’s enough to make the commute worthwhile. Also, you’d be more removed from student life. Grad school is much different from the undergrad experience, but being around (or even living with) other grad students can make the experience more enjoyable and help reduce any culture shock you’re worried about.

Parts of New Brunswick are undergraddy, but if you have a healthy budget there are some very nice apartments downtown where you’d be with more young professionals and empty nester adults.

Edit: And congrats on your admission to RU!
Thank you so much! I am psyched (albeit nervous) to start my PhD.

Are there then also local businesses and farmers' markets? It sounds like the crowd there would encourage those activities. I know I have to visit, but I'm caught up in my master's right now in Philadelphia so not much time to sniff around and I don't have a car. I'm planning ahead because I want to make sure I figure stuff out different areas to visit before I'm in the stress of intense apartment hunting.

What would you call a healthy budget to live in that kind of area in NB? What would be one to live in HP in a solo 1-bedroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey