Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,619,082 times

Advertisements

Ok I see, just wish I could see the apt. I still say it doesnt look like I imagined it would, it actually looks kinda nice. The only time I go there anymore is for funerals unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
SWB look out we have our own photographer in Lamminus.
I'll try to keep it to less than 3 photos per post.

Yes, Canton closed. It is being converted to a Bally's gym, which will open this Summer or Fall. There was a bit of a fight between Bally's and the City over keeping the Canton's "landmark" exterior signage, but it was removed, exposing gold lettering that reads "HURWITZ BUILDING"

If you guys want to take a lunch break, fast food or Indian are pretty much your choices in Journal Sq. There are a couple of Italian (Puccini's and Rita & Joe's) restaurants down Broadway.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Smile Down Memory Lane

Hi! I'm in my 70's, went to PS 15 located on Dwight St & Van Cleef. I graduated from PS 15 in 1949. Went then to Snyder High - graduated in 1953. Fondest memories of Miss Mary Travers, 8th grade English. St. Pat's church was on Ocean & Bramhall Avenue. It wasn't a cathedral. Journal Square housed the 3 movie theaters, Loew's, Stanley & the State. I heard the Stanley was made into a church or religious building. It was a great place to grow up. The Medical Center, had Sister Kenny from Australia on staff when there was a polio outbreak in the city. Margaret Hague, named for Mayor Hague's mother was a famous maternity hospital. Take your mother to Liberty Science Center. It's great.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticcat View Post
Hi! I'm in my 70's, went to PS 15 located on Dwight St & Van Cleef. I graduated from PS 15 in 1949. Went then to Snyder High - graduated in 1953. Fondest memories of Miss Mary Travers, 8th grade English. St. Pat's church was on Ocean & Bramhall Avenue. It wasn't a cathedral. Journal Square housed the 3 movie theaters, Loew's, Stanley & the State. I heard the Stanley was made into a church or religious building. It was a great place to grow up. The Medical Center, had Sister Kenny from Australia on staff when there was a polio outbreak in the city. Margaret Hague, named for Mayor Hague's mother was a famous maternity hospital. Take your mother to Liberty Science Center. It's great.
Wow your paths may have crossed as she went to Snyder as well! Was capt of the cheerleaders

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticcat View Post
Memory Lane- PS 15 still there, St. Pats still there but the grammer school is thinking on closing the door due to decreased enrollment. Journal Square movie theaters, State knocked down-high rise in it's place. Stanley- refurbished by the Jehovahs Witness following. beautiful. Loews theater, restored to it's original charm and placed on the historic building register. The Medical Center has been bought by the Beacon builders and condos are now for sale. Margeret Hague boarded up.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Memory Lane- PS 15 still there, St. Pats still there but the grammer school is thinking on closing the door due to decreased enrollment. Journal Square movie theaters, State knocked down-high rise in it's place. Stanley- refurbished by the Jehovahs Witness following. beautiful. Loews theater, restored to it's original charm and placed on the historic building register. The Medical Center has been bought by the Beacon builders and condos are now for sale. Margeret Hague boarded up.

Oh my the school may close? How sad!! My Dad went there but whoa that was a long long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey