Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 257,319 times

Advertisements

Hello,
we are currently looking into purchase a home but still doing some research. I was wondering what town can be good for a young couple, professionals. We are looking into 400 - 550 K range.

Then should I buy a house in Kearny which is close to NYC and great commute and I can buy a bigger house, is diverse neighboorhood, but the safety is ok for now but who knows in a few years....I mean because of the bordering areas. Is a risk I take because crime rate has increased in the past years.
OR
should I buy a townhouse in middle class town in bergen, but then the taxes are high, the school would be good. but then again less space for living and perhaps some prejudicious people.

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,636,471 times
Everyone has to make up their own mind about what's most important to them. My wife and I are in your demographic, and we just decided to move to the "Kearny-like" town (although it's not Kearny, but I think it's similar). Most of my colleagues at work would probably make the opposite choice and go for the smaller house in the better town.

We're getting a larger house than we would be able to afford in a nicer town, taxes are lower (not much, but every bit helps), our commute to NYC will be better, we'll have a more "walkable" neighborhood, and there is more economic diversity (which has its good points and bad points).

In return, there is a slightly higher crime risk and the schools are not as good as some other towns.

It's a trade-off we are willing to make. But everyone is different, so take your time, explore the different areas, and think things over.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:26 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,814,532 times
I don't know how big a house you need, or where you want to live, but there are many nice homes in that range in many towns.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM

27 posts, read 273,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenitak View Post
Hello,
we are currently looking into purchase a home but still doing some research. I was wondering what town can be good for a young couple, professionals. We are looking into 400 - 550 K range.

Then should I buy a house in Kearny which is close to NYC and great commute and I can buy a bigger house, is diverse neighboorhood, but the safety is ok for now but who knows in a few years....I mean because of the bordering areas. Is a risk I take because crime rate has increased in the past years.
OR
should I buy a townhouse in middle class town in bergen, but then the taxes are high, the school would be good. but then again less space for living and perhaps some prejudicious people.

Any suggestions???

Have kids and how old are they?

Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Thank you for your input! It really helps and just wanted to know if other people are experiencing similar situation. The taxes are high anywhere I plan onto going, but also depends on the size of your lot, and other factors. Sometimes, these "Kearny" like towns offer some more things that I'm not I would find another towns like the sense of a community. It's a major tradeoff, I thought to myself in the end, I can always send my kids to private schools if it's turns out to be the bad. Which I hope it won't. Are you in bergen county? any suggestions for other kearny like towns?? I was thinking for saddle brook but then is kind of too far and not sure if they are diverse there.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:44 PM

we have a toddler, she is 3 yrs now.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 PM

I don't need a huge place or big home just saying that I would probably be able to afford a home in a town like Kearny because that money would only be good for townhouse in Bergen town....not enough for a home. I was looking into a home with 2 family 400-550K can I really find that in a safe nice, middle class neighborhood, I don't know.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,814,532 times
Quote:
I don't need a huge place or big home just saying that I would probably be able to afford a home in a town like Kearny because that money would only be good for townhouse in Bergen town....not enough for a home. I was looking into a home with 2 family 400-550K can I really find that in a safe nice, middle class neighborhood, I don't know.
thanks for the additional info. I understand what you mean. I think it would depend on the schools since you have a child. If the public schools aren't great, and you can afford private, then it might be an option. As far as safety, I don't know the area. My point was that there are a lot of homes on the market under $500k in nice towns with good schools, but not 2 family houses. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:00 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,636,471 times
It also depends on what you want out of a public school too. My kid is only 1 year old, so we still have a few years to go before school. But we're also a bilingual family (in our case, Portuguese/English), and living in a town where there would be some bilingual kids and a cultural mixture that would support that part of my child's background was a factor for us.

With close to 15% "Hispanic" in my soon-to-be new town, my kid won't be "the kid with the strange Spanish name" in school :-)

Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,971,253 times
Quote:
we have a toddler, she is 3 yrs now.
and where will you be sending her to school in a couple of years? if the home in the shaky area has poor schools you'll either have to pay for private schools, move again or send your kid to a weak school. Most people make their decisions based on the strengths of the schools where they are looking and many would sacrifice a better house for a better school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey