Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 32,774 times

Advertisements

After 20+ years in the city, I'm interested in moving to the suburbs but don't want to go fully suburban (I hate to drive!). I'm looking for a town that has a walkable center and a neighborhood vibe. I also commute to the city.

I'm priced out of Maplewood, South Orange, Westfield, & Morristown. Any other ideas? Looking for an older home with some character in the $550k range. Possible anywhere???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 03:00 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Mayyyyybe Montclair if you want a real fixer. Also try Cranford, Bloomfield, maybe Metuchen. Watch for flood zones in some of these towns. Are schools a consideration?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,923 times
Cranford, Scotch Plains. These are both good options to Westfield, which people look at when Essex County is just too expensive.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,085,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGurl View Post
After 20+ years in the city, I'm interested in moving to the suburbs but don't want to go fully suburban (I hate to drive!). I'm looking for a town that has a walkable center and a neighborhood vibe. I also commute to the city.

I'm priced out of Maplewood, South Orange, Westfield, & Morristown. Any other ideas? Looking for an older home with some character in the $550k range. Possible anywhere???
Even the best downtown in NJ (which I suppose is Montclair) wouldn't offer enough to the point where you can go without a car. Jersey City and Hoboken would, but those are less NJ towns with downtowns and extensions of NYC.

Furthermore, you've already named some of the best downtowns and you are priced out.

Here's a list tho...

https://njmonthly.com/articles/towns...town-showdown/

Old 07-11-2018, 05:59 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,490,023 times
Livingston is a mostly walkable suburb. It's furthest west of a walkable North Jersey suburb you can. Suburbs east of that can be walkable too. It's an overpopulated town and you wouldn't want to drive in it every day. Traffic is hectic there. You can walk around Livingston. There are crosswalks for people to walk around. There is good public transportation buses for Livingston. All the Livingston buses start from the Livingston Mall and they go around Livingston before they head outside of Livingston. The bus I used to take from the mall to Newark traveled passed St. Barnabas Medical Center, ShopRite, the YMCA, a park (where the high school is also located). Residential parts of Livingston don't really have public transportation stops and the residential parts can have large patches of woods (with no hiking trails sorry). Some residential parts of Livingston are walkable and are safe for walking.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGurl View Post

Summit or New Providence would suit you.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:47 PM

175 posts, read 281,909 times
Montclair- vibrant downtown, filled with diverse restaurants and retail, beautiful old mansions. Middle point between Newark and Paterson. Downtown is safe, but some neighborhoods in Montclair are dangerous I will warn.

Westfield- similar to Montclair, in southern Union county, so not sure if it'd be considered northern or central NJ.

Hoboken- in Hudson county right across from NYC, very urban, dense feel. Many restaurants.

Fort Lee- also across from NYC but less urban feeling (while still completely walkable), big downtown with many gourmet Asian restaurants. It's in southern Bergen county.

Summit- Old, wealthy town on the border of Union and Morris county. Downtown includes both casual and fine dining, as well as much retail. Close to the scenic Watchung Mtns, but still very walkable.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,224 times
Ridgewood, Englewood, Hackensack

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 PM

650 posts, read 774,392 times
Teaneck Englewood union city

Old 07-11-2018, 10:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,507 times
Don't most towns with train stations have good downtowns? Are there any good downtowns that aren't built up around train stations? I can only think of the Short Hills station, which doesn't have much around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey