Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 AM

858 posts, read 707,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
For the last ~45 years the Jersey Shore beach season has been Memorial Day to Labor day, mostly due to the induction of the Federal Memorial Day holiday in 1971. I will say that the shore is to cold in May and water is freezing, honestly the best beach days of the summer are in September. The water is the warmest of the entire year and the weather is hot. It would be great if NJ legislatures can add an official start like June 15th and end it mid-late September.
I don't get what you are asking for. what would declaring an official beach season result in? Would it just be for having lifeguard longer or is there more that legislation would provide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
For the last ~45 years the Jersey Shore beach season has been Memorial Day to Labor day, mostly due to the induction of the Federal Memorial Day holiday in 1971. I will say that the shore is to cold in May and water is freezing, honestly the best beach days of the summer are in September. The water is the warmest of the entire year and the weather is hot. It would be great if NJ legislatures can add an official start like June 15th and end it mid-late September.
what is stopping people from visiting the beach after labor day? im not sure what you mean by "official beach season." is it the lack of lifeguards? i dont think that the government is stopping me from going to the beach after labor day.

my beach club stays open through september and people always mention that as if we will continue going. i think last summer we either didnt go or didnt go more than a couple of times. i think the weather wasnt really good and we are busy with other things. we will see if we make it this september, im not sure.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 AM

357 posts, read 284,857 times
september is definitely the best beach month as those other people finally go home.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, yesterday was hot as hell at Sandy Hook, so people were swimming, no lifeguards notwithstanding.

I was trying to take photos, and the sweat was pouring into my eyes and burning.
You need one of those 1970s sweat bands across your forehead.

That was an interesting photo of the the lighthouse.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
september is definitely the best beach month as those other people finally go home.
Exactly! And it’s free! 7 Presidents wanted to charge me $8 just to walk on the beach one weekend. I just looked at her and went elsewhere.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I understand that there are no lifeguards after labor day, but can't you still sit on the beach and swim at your own risk? I don't see what the big deal is.
People do. Sometimes they drown, but not usually.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
I understand that there are no lifeguards after labor day, but can't you still sit on the beach and swim at your own risk? I don't see what the big deal is.
Honestly, I'd rather not swim at my own risk.

It is definitely true that September offers great beach days and the water is warmer now than it was in June and early July. I wonder how many first responders in the beach towns, many who probably grew up there, were lifeguards or could train to be lifeguards in September? Could resources be devoted to turning a few cops or firemen into lifeguards with lifeguard shifts for a month? Cops and firefighters will help rescue swimmers in trouble when lifeguards have left for the day from Memorial Day to Labor Day, I don't see why some can't patrol the beaches during one of the nicest beach months. At least on weekends. Wouldn't even have to be every single stand on the beaches, every other or something like that will do. Just some people to keep an eye on the water, people with training in rescue.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:21 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Yes you can and you don't have to pay to do it. It is swim at your own risk .There really is no "big deal"....nothing will change.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:26 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Honestly, I'd rather not swim at my own risk.

It is definitely true that September offers great beach days and the water is warmer now than it was in June and early July. I wonder how many first responders in the beach towns, many who probably grew up there, were lifeguards or could train to be lifeguards in September? Could resources be devoted to turning a few cops or firemen into lifeguards with lifeguard shifts for a month? Cops and firefighters will help rescue swimmers in trouble when lifeguards have left for the day from Memorial Day to Labor Day, I don't see why some can't patrol the beaches during one of the nicest beach months. At least on weekends. Wouldn't even have to be every single stand on the beaches, every other or something like that will do. Just some people to keep an eye on the water, people with training in rescue.

No, it's not their Job. Yes it's that simple. You want to take these people from their jobs to do a different job just becuase maybe ....someone wants to go to the beach ....in the fall? What do these same folks do in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb? NJ is not CA or Florida......you don't have Beach weather year round. Maybe ....just maybe people who can't swim should not go into the Ocean,but hey that's just me.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:

Big brother does not approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey