Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Why NJ?
Property taxes are too high. People are rude. Drivers are horrible. Amongst many other negatives.
Same can be said about LI. NYC is just as bad and the taxes are even worse. I know folks that are paying $8k in property taxes in Brooklyn and paying $6500k in NYC income taxes. That is about $15k in local taxes and not including state taxes.

The big difference is that NJ schools are zoned only no liberal hacks sending poor needy kids to rich area schools and for $800k you get a real house not a refurb job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 08:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Same can be said about LI. NYC is just as bad and the taxes are even worse. I know folks that are paying $8k in property taxes in Brooklyn and paying $6500k in NYC income taxes. That is about $15k in local taxes and not including state taxes.

The big difference is that NJ schools are zoned only no liberal hacks sending poor needy kids to rich area schools and for $800k you get a real house not a refurb job.

Please address:

Quote:
People are rude. Drivers are horrible. Amongst many other negatives.

Your response is selective.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
I think jaymoney owns a boat. He must be rich to do so.
well, a lot of people seem to own boats. i dont think they are all "rich." but rich is relative. i appreciate his responses, he knows more than i do. i think i can afford a boat, especially if i split it with my brother. so im much more interested in convenience than cost.

bigger concern would be that my brother and i tend to have a little different work hours.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:48 AM

332 posts, read 522,414 times
Do either of you have flexible hours/ability to work from home? You will soon find out that there is an implicit assumption that one parent is "around.". My kids k class has about 1 event a month that a parent is expected to attend (Halloween party, Thanksgiving show, etc). And then there's arranging playdates, dealing with emergencies (our school flooded last week and kids were sent home with a half hour notice). Just something to think about.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:05 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Do either of you have flexible hours/ability to work from home? You will soon find out that there is an implicit assumption that one parent is "around.". My kids k class has about 1 event a month that a parent is expected to attend (Halloween party, Thanksgiving show, etc). And then there's arranging playdates, dealing with emergencies (our school flooded last week and kids were sent home with a half hour notice). Just something to think about.
This can happen, but you work around it.

I raised my daughter in a town that had a lot of stay-at-home moms, but there were also some two-couple earners around, and I was divorced and commuting to the city.

I fortunately had ample vacation time and took off a day here and there to participate in the school activities, plus my "daycare" was my mother. As for emergencies such as the flood you describe, that is something that should be managed in advance. Perhaps a classmate's parent or a local daycare would provide that service.

I also managed to raise a child with lots of friends and never once used the ridiculous term, "playdate".

Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, a lot of people seem to own boats. i dont think they are all "rich." but rich is relative. i appreciate his responses, he knows more than i do. i think i can afford a boat, especially if i split it with my brother. so im much more interested in convenience than cost.

bigger concern would be that my brother and i tend to have a little different work hours.

I think an important distinction would he the kind of boats we talking lol

Old 10-02-2018, 09:44 AM

332 posts, read 522,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This can happen, but you work around it.

I raised my daughter in a town that had a lot of stay-at-home moms, but there were also some two-couple earners around, and I was divorced and commuting to the city.

I fortunately had ample vacation time and took off a day here and there to participate in the school activities, plus my "daycare" was my mother. As for emergencies such as the flood you describe, that is something that should be managed in advance. Perhaps a classmate's parent or a local daycare would provide that service.

I also managed to raise a child with lots of friends and never once used the ridiculous term, "playdate".
Maybe my original response was a bit dire-sounding. Obviously it's totally doable, heck I was raised in NJ with two parents commuting into nyc (though one worked locally until I was in middle school). I guess my point is that it can be helpful to consider these things in advance, especially if there is an option that includes extra help (ie, parents that live nearby). I also am not sure how towns differ in these things - I was shocked to see how many daytime parent-included events my kid's K class has - I don't recall having that many when I was a kid decades ago, and I don't know if other towns are different.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 502 times
My two cents... I moved from BK with husband and two kids to Westchester and hated it. We ended up moving back to BK after two years. Westchester is extremely boring if you love and take advantage of all there is to do in BK. We grew out of our space in BK and bought in Montclair NJ. I couldn’t be happier and soooo much to do.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 6,024 times
I agree with the Ridgewood/ Glen Rock comment! I grew up there and there are always things to do. Both have downtowns (though Ridgewood’s downtown is much more vibrant) and the reputations of the schools are wonderful. There is an express train from Ridgewood - I don’t see a problem with getting into NYC within 75 minutes from there. Within both towns there are areas where houses are closer together and other areas where you will have more land. Doable in your budget, including taxes!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:17 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,038 times
Rutherford
Glen Rock
Hillsdale
Ridgewood
Wayne

Here are some examples of homes that might fit your needs.

MLS Number 1836537 - 5 bed,4 bath, Residential Property for $999,000 - 767 Prospect Street, Glen Rock, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

MLS Number 1842664 - 5 bed,3 bath, Residential Property for $915,000 - 10 Hastings Avenue, Rutherford, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

MLS Number 1826147 - 5 bed,4 bath, Residential Property for $950,000 - 8 Chadwick Road, Hillsdale, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

MLS Number 1842498 - 4 bed,3 bath, Residential Property for $999,000 - 869 Hillcrest Road, Ridgewood, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service

MLS Number 1817830 - 5 bed,5 bath, Residential Property for $939,000 - Wayne, NJ - New Jersey Multiple Listing Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey