Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:14 PM

31 posts, read 63,970 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We currently live in Colts Neck. We are a mixed Asian family and we're looking for a little more diversity than what is here in Colts Neck (which is 95% white by census reports). Or at least the hope of diversity as the kids get older and go to HS. We also lean liberal, and the views are a bit too conservative in CN for us. Also, my husband commutes to NYC twice a week. I commute to various Monmouth county locations - Brick, Freehold, Toms River, and occasionally up to East Brunswick and Somerset. We love our current nearby location to route 18 and the parkway, but for the above stated reasons are looking to move.

We're considering Ocean Twp because it seems to be a decent mix of all types. The schools in recent years haven't rated that well on the sites I'm looking at, but I'm happy to be proven wrong by you fine folks! We love its nearby location to shore points, near enough still to Red Bank for the culture and restaurants, but we also gain nearby access to culture and restaurants in Asbury Park.

We're also considering Little Silver because it's very close to where we already live, and we love the area. Although the population is quite similar to CN, the kids will then go on to RBR for HS which is quite diverse. And of course, we love Red Bank.

I've searched the threads, but many are old, so I figured I'd revive this discussion. What say you, wise people? Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 05:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,104,566 times
I don't know if either of those locations offer that much more diversity worth making a big move for. Several spots in Middlesex County obviously would, especially on the Asian end of the spectrum, but you haven't included them as options.

I do applaud your MO though. I would want the same for my kids ... if I had any.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Hi Jobaba, thanks for your answer. We're planning to move in the next year or two b/c we need a bigger house anyway. So the question is whether to stay in CN or move to a nearby town.

Yes, we've considered some Middlesex towns. But I've found that sometimes in those situations where there's a very large Asian population, the kids segregate themselves to large cliques of only Chinese, only Korean, only Indian, etc.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,499,452 times
I don't think you can help the self-segregation. Part of life. You should see Rutgers

Old 10-03-2018, 06:10 AM

I went to Rutgers! Yes, there was a lot of self segregation there. I was not part of it, but I made a concerted effort not to.

Any comments on the school system and area in Ocean twp?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:31 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,776,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadimre View Post
We are a mixed Asian family
What does that even mean? You are 1/2 Chinese 1/2 Korean or something like that?

Old 10-03-2018, 06:56 AM

I'm Indian, my husband is white, our kids are mixed

Old 10-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I'm Indian, my husband is white, our kids are mixed
Is that even a worry in NJ nowadays (similar mix in my house)? I live in a “white town” and 1/3 of the boys soccer team I coach are not 100% white

Looking at the census numbers for colts neck and they seem strange. The town shrunk by 17% from 2000-2010?

According to niche, colts neck hs is 81% white, 9% Asian and 8% Hispanic. None of the top schools in ocean county are that diverse.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:24 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Any comments on the school system and area in Ocean twp?
I can't comment on the school system, but you should be aware that Ocean County has the state's worst opiate/opioid addiction problem. I'm not sure that I would want to expose young kids to that type of situation.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I can't comment on the school system, but you should be aware that Ocean County has the state's worst opiate/opioid addiction problem. I'm not sure that I would want to expose young kids to that type of situation.
But diversity includes opioid and non opioid users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey