Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 06:17 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, I mentioned one time my Mom is pretty bad off. She can't walk has nerve damage and is trying but let me say its a mess. My poor father wants to take her home and he is setting up the house for this too happen, lifts and bars while she is learning to walk again. Now she is not qualified for a nursing home to live in full time, and insurance has ran out so he is paying out of pocket but here is the funny and sad thing NJ charges 4 percent tax on the NURSING HOME?REHAB, he called it a provider tax. This is disgusting, the poor and helpless !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,179 times
I am so sorry to hear about your dear Mother and Father. I can only imagine what he is going through. I had no idea about that taxation. They are finding a way to squeeze a dime out of every service now. I hope your Mom makes a full recovery.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 AM

yes , he called his senator and assembly women and the paper mike kelly, noone cares. The senator said to him what can I do?? My dad said your the senator enact or bring up legistation to not tax people in nursing homes. He said call so and so, and drop some name. My dad said to him yes ok your my senator and Im to call someone whos not my senator and ask for help?? Kinda sad.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM

253 posts, read 1,266,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Hi, I mentioned one time my Mom is pretty bad off. She can't walk has nerve damage and is trying but let me say its a mess. My poor father wants to take her home and he is setting up the house for this too happen, lifts and bars while she is learning to walk again. Now she is not qualified for a nursing home to live in full time, and insurance has ran out so he is paying out of pocket but here is the funny and sad thing NJ charges 4 percent tax on the NURSING HOME?REHAB, he called it a provider tax. This is disgusting, the poor and helpless !!

So what are you going to do? How old is she? When will she be allowed more visits under her insurance? Honestly in the area of physical medicine and rehabilitation, the "big dogs" in NJ are Kessler, JFK Johnson Rehab Institute, Shore Rehab - and maybe I can give you a few names and put you in contact with a few people who may be able to help you out. Did you inquire about how "charity care" would come into play and if it would benefit her to apply? Could it be used for these services?

Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM

thanks for responding, however I could use some good names as far as therapy she has nerve damage in her leg and is trying to walk but the place she is at sucks. She is coming home, as far as money my dad is loaded he would not qualify for any help at all. He is finanically fine thanks!!! Its the point that they tax these poor people!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
I have to agree with the pp Johnson Rehab Instiute at JFK is wonderful. I have had several surgeries and was able to relearn to walk a few times... I did need the aid of a walker or cane on many occasions. So I have lots of experience with rehabs.

I have been an inpatient at the Johnson Rehab Ins. (in JFK, not one of their nursing homes) at least 3 times and also did a program there called day therapy where I went from like 9-2 pm. The doctors I saw J. Quevedo, Roger Rossi and Stephen Escaldi were all very involved with my care. My therapists were positive and knew when to keep me going and when I needed to stop. Of course, I could tell them if I needed to stop too.

In the Johnson Rehab, they have a HUGE area called Independence Square. This is an amazing place to refresh and relearn skills. They have an area for walking that is like walking on bricks and other types of pavement. They have a pretend grocery store, bank and atm. They also have an area set up like home with beds, couches a kitchen bathrooms and even a washer and dryer. All of this an effort to help build confidence and prepare the patient and family for life outside of the hospital.

Unfortunately, I am too far advanced in my health to walk. I am perm. in a wheelchair now.

As you can tell though I can't say enough good about Johnson Rehab, their staff and services they provide. I wish your mom luck as well as your dad and the rest of the family.

JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute

Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM

Thank you so much, I am going to pass this on to Dad. He is bringing her home soon, installing chair lifts and bars for walking , add all wheelchairs and stuff. I think what he needs is an inhome service therapist. SOmeone who can come to the house. Thanks I could always use this info. I am glad you are recovered!!! Its a task and you did it many times from what I read!!! God bless you! Marilyn

Old 04-07-2008, 06:21 PM

Thanks so much Marilyn! I'm young (under 40) and have a wonderful husband, mom and large family. It takes lots of help and encouragement from all.

A HUGE suggestion that I have and imagine your dad has done is making sure he is trained on how to take care of her. From my experience, he should practice getting her into the car with therapists while she is still at rehab. It depends on how severely your mom has been affected as to how they will do it. The first time I was in rehab I was lucky enough to be able to stand and go from wheelchair to walker and back in, the next time I wasn't as lucky and had to learn to slide with a board from the wc to the seat in the car. Make sure your mom and dad know how do transfers b/c that is still the hardest part.

He needs to measure all the areas in the house carefully so you know she can get over steps and different areas.

I now have an accessible honda element with a ramp. Wheelchair vans, wheelchair accessible

I also have a roll in shower and accessible kitchen all the things that make life a little less frustrating.

Even though your insurance is used up, I would call them and ask for all the agencies they use for home therapy then your dad can call and arrange payments and the rest of the fun begins.

Feel free to PM me if you need to.

God bless you too!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM

How is your mom? I hope all is well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey