Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:26 AM

551 posts, read 1,187,708 times

Advertisements

Seeking some advice.. I thought I bought smart when Jersey City was the talk of town, close to nyc and new home stock made it appealing.. turn outs, I just dont like it anymore -I am not the bar/sports goer type and I cant deal with having tenants anymore (not anything out of ordinary just dont want footsteps above me or below me!)

Problem #1 I work in downtown NYC and PATH has been super reliant living in JC - no, I never get a seat and it is packed like sardines on some delay days but overall door to door time is only 40 minutes and I am happy with that

Problem #2 My budget is approx 800k - I see some new homes / remodels done in Metuchen listing at 700-800s is there still a bidding war type of atmosphere going on there? Can anyone who has lived in Metuchen comment on the neighborhood / mark up of town? I am not white, so diversity is a must

I read mixed reviews of Metuchen train station BUT it is still better than Edison - I dont need access to top schools and I am ok with Metuchen's ratings so far. Property taxes seem high everywhere, so will deal with that. I love the quaint downtown shops and small mom and pop eateries and knick knack finding there.. is there anything I am missing about negatives of Metuchen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Seeking some advice.. I thought I bought smart when Jersey City was the talk of town, close to nyc and new home stock made it appealing.. turn outs, I just dont like it anymore -I am not the bar/sports goer type and I cant deal with having tenants anymore (not anything out of ordinary just dont want footsteps above me or below me!)

Problem #1 I work in downtown NYC and PATH has been super reliant living in JC - no, I never get a seat and it is packed like sardines on some delay days but overall door to door time is only 40 minutes and I am happy with that

Problem #2 My budget is approx 800k - I see some new homes / remodels done in Metuchen listing at 700-800s is there still a bidding war type of atmosphere going on there? Can anyone who has lived in Metuchen comment on the neighborhood / mark up of town? I am not white, so diversity is a must

I read mixed reviews of Metuchen train station BUT it is still better than Edison - I dont need access to top schools and I am ok with Metuchen's ratings so far. Property taxes seem high everywhere, so will deal with that. I love the quaint downtown shops and small mom and pop eateries and knick knack finding there.. is there anything I am missing about negatives of Metuchen?
Metuchen is planted right in the middle of Edison township.

Great town, easy access to all major roads and rail.

As far as imaginable from JC in every aspect.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Thanks Kracer..I am reading the traffic congestion has gotten much worse there?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:31 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Thanks Kracer..I am reading the traffic congestion has gotten much worse there?
Yes, the traffic congestion in Metuchen is just as bad as it is in Edison, but it is still a very nice town.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:58 PM

213 posts, read 350,230 times
If you work in downtown NYC.. you still have to deal with the "competitive seating contest" in PATH from Newark. Otherwise Metuchen has transformed a lot in recent years, close to Rt1, NJ27 and I-287 (all of them are packed during rush hour). With your budget try a town which has a direct train to Hoboken. Hoboken - WTC Path is lot nicer than Newark-WTC Path.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
If you work in downtown NYC.. you still have to deal with the "competitive seating contest" in PATH from Newark. Otherwise Metuchen has transformed a lot in recent years, close to Rt1, NJ27 and I-287 (all of them are packed during rush hour). With your budget try a town which has a direct train to Hoboken. Hoboken - WTC Path is lot nicer than Newark-WTC Path.
Thanks! I looked at Chatham and Oradell but too high taxes - at least Metuchen most were under 10k

Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM

88,535 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I had no idea about Metuchen, especially that it had that lovely little Main Street area, until October of this year. Met friends for dinner at the Greek place.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 AM

275 posts, read 213,859 times
I take it that if you work in Downtown NYC, then traffic is irrelevant. Unless, you live so far form the train station that you are forced to drive. Most people I know in Metuchen walk to NJT Station on Main St or bike it all the way. It is a gorgeous town and tranquil. On weekends, however, traffic may be a nightmare as you need to drive around for errands. Not a overly hyped town so for its good qualities, it is still very affordable. $800K budget will be enough to buy a nice home without the crazy taxes from Essex or Bergen counties.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 AM

Thanks all! Going for our first showing this saturday (sans snow of course)

Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM

63 posts, read 115,964 times
Have you look at Maplewood? Cute town easy commute into Hoboken hop on the path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey