Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:07 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times

Advertisements

Rutherford is in lower Bergen County is a safe residential town directly across the Passaic River is Route 21 which would be a easy ride to Newark which also has no tolls. Some of the suggestions are quite a distance from Newark and you do not need to drive all the way out to Morris County, check Google Maps for distance and travel time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:54 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Wayne is probably worth looking at as well. It’s a big town so look in the areas that would provide the shortest commute.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 AM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.milly View Post
Thank you for your suggestion foodyum. Verona and S. Orange are in our list as well. Asking prices are right at the end of our budget and taxes appear to be a little high, but definitely worth exploring.
South Orange is going to be a little tough in that budget, but the commute to Newark should be pretty easy. Same for our sister community of Maplewood. The Maplewood areas near Newark are probably the last area of town that you can semi-reliably find cheaper properties.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
"Run up the parkway?" Are you kidding? Maybe at 3am. The section of the Parkway between exits 135 and 145 is one of the most congested sections of highway in the entire state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've traveled up the Parkway four times in the past week. Once to Bergen County last Saturday, twice to Newark for medical appointments.

That IS the worst part of the Parkway. I am not sure that the five miles before 145 isn't backed up even at 3 a.m.
I run that route often and am in both. Fords (Woodbridge) to Newark on the best day takes me about 25-30 minutes. Even with traffic it doesn't take me more than 45min (pretty livable IMO), but I get off on Rt. 22 then take 21.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
There is no fast commute to Newark except at Newark. It the city with the worst infrastructure design on the East Coast. DC is much better than Newark and so is Baltimore. You can sit in traffic for 20-40mins from the exit off the GSP or Turnpike going to Newark and parking is also a nightmare.

The problem with Newark is they never opened up any roads or improve the exit ramps of every highway that goes to Newark. Traffic light patterns causes bottlenecks and not like NYC where it's better for higher traffic flow.

The fastest way into Newark is by NJT trains.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
but I get off on Rt. 22 then take 21.
Well that makes a big difference. If you go up to exit 145 and get on 280 you would have to add another 20-30 minutes. I have a friend that works in Iselin and it takes him 45 minutes to get from Iselin to exit 145 during rush hour.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:43 PM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Just can add Nutley to easy commute to Newark, and there are easy commutes to Newark but some of the suggestions will not be easy like if you have to get on the Parkway or Turnpike and pay a toll every work day or travel 30 miles from Morris County.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:23 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There is no fast commute to Newark except at Newark. It the city with the worst infrastructure design on the East Coast. DC is much better than Newark and so is Baltimore. You can sit in traffic for 20-40mins from the exit off the GSP or Turnpike going to Newark and parking is also a nightmare.

The problem with Newark is they never opened up any roads or improve the exit ramps of every highway that goes to Newark. Traffic light patterns causes bottlenecks and not like NYC where it's better for higher traffic flow.

The fastest way into Newark is by NJT trains.
DC is probably the only city on the east coast that has worse traffic than NYC IMO. NYC just by sheer size has far far worse traffic than Newark (though Newark has its own significant commuter flow, A LOT of the traffic you mentioned is actually NY-bound). NY can handle more volume simply because it being the center of the metro and its size, it must.

Quote:
Well that makes a big difference. If you go up to exit 145 and get on 280 you would have to add another 20-30 minutes. I have a friend that works in Iselin and it takes him 45 minutes to get from Iselin to exit 145 during rush hour.
Precisely why I avoid it whenever possible .

Old 01-24-2019, 12:42 PM

9 posts, read 14,573 times
I would strongly recommend taking a look in Essex County. Montclair and Glen Ridge are touted as top neighborhoods but West Orange, Verona and the Caldwells all have good school systems and have bus and some train lines that go directly to Newark. They're also much more reasonably priced. I'm a local agent so let me know if you have further questions.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:55 PM

575 posts, read 339,237 times
Quote:
"Run up the parkway?" Are you kidding? Maybe at 3am. The section of the Parkway between exits 135 and 145 is one of the most congested sections of highway in the entire state.
OMG! 135-145!

I used to exit at 151, so I am very familiar with the above! Actually, at 3 am, I often experienced slowdowns.

But, at 3 am, the RT 21 is fastest, when you gotta go north-south. And is free.

Of course, 21 is dangerous and has ugly accidents at night, so it's a calculated risk...

I think the phrase "run up parkway" is a sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey