Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2019, 04:34 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,954 times

Advertisements

I have (had?) an upcoming tenant for a Union City property that passed a credit check, signed the lease, and provided first + security. Move in date was set to be this weekend as previous tenant wanted an early move out. Now the day before moving in the new tenant wants to look elsewhere under claims the rent is too high. This new individual has not been given the keys and has not moved any personal property on site. The lease agreement stipulates breaking lease is only allowed due to domestic violence and/or applicable local laws.

What are my options and what legal concerns should I worry about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,447 times
If you had a standard NJ realty lease it would stipulate once signed and 48hr attorney review clause passed they are liable for 1st month rent OR loss of security deposit and you must begin advertising / finding new tenant

Check your lease terms carefully - in your scenario they signed lease and you took it off market, you are entitled to deposit and must mitigate your losses if you find tenant early and refund portion or keep full if not

Old 01-26-2019, 07:27 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
If it were me, I would give the tenant his money back and just look for a new tenant. You may be entitled keep his rent money according to the terms of your lease, but if you threaten to do this and the tenant decides he'd rather just move in than lose a month's rent, you will now have the headache of having a tenant who thinks the rent it too high and may have trouble paying. I know it's near the end of the month already but apartments rent fast in Union City, it's possible you can get a new tenant in by Feb 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: