Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici1075 View Post
Guys,

I too am looking for the same thing - I took the sticky and I have input my answers. I am not trying to hijack this thread, but wanted to piggy back as it seems we are looking for similar things. So, if you'd like please feel free to dm me directly. Thanks in advance!

*Read this list so you are aware of what should be included if you are moving from out of area and coming to New Jersey.

Where are you coming from? Woodside Queens
Why are you moving? space/peace/kids
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? 52nd and 6th

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? 450 - 575
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family house with pool

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes, husband and children and dogs
Do you need/want good public schools? yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) we are a working middle class family - in our early 40's - 2 boys in college and I have now taken in my goddauger who is 2 - I grew up in an error of ozzy ozborne and biggie smalls - I just like good music. I want an old school neighborhood feel if that is even a real thing anymore.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc), safety, family oriented, proximity to transit to manhattan.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...786466&view=qv

Here ya go! Also look at Midland Park, though I didn't currently see one with a pool.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,907 times
Based on the OP’s appreciation for the advice given, I’m recommending Irvington, Paterson, and the Weequahic section of Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Guys,

I too am looking for the same thing - I took the sticky and I have input my answers. I am not trying to hijack this thread, but wanted to piggy back as it seems we are looking for similar things. So, if you'd like please feel free to dm me directly. Thanks in advance!

*Read this list so you are aware of what should be included if you are moving from out of area and coming to New Jersey.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes, husband and children and dogs

(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) we are a working middle class family - in our early 40's - 2 boys in college and I have now taken in my goddauger who is 2 - I grew up in an error of ozzy ozborne and biggie smalls - I just like good music. I want an old school neighborhood feel if that is even a real thing anymore.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc), safety, family oriented, proximity to transit to manhattan.

Take a look at Maywood. It has a cute old time downtown with a few bars that have bands on the weekends. May not have have any houses with pools but you can always pit one in. Most houses sell around 400k. The one issue is that the zoned high school is Hackensack which is iffy. Lower schools are fine.

Hawthorne is another real old time jersey town with a movie theater, nice library and lots of restaurants. Schools are average.

Last edited by foodyum; 02-20-2019 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 PM

^Good suggestions.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 40,834 times
I should mention I'm also looking at old bridge - super cute area.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:46 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
I should mention I'm also looking at old bridge - super cute area.
I think looking for only houses that have a swimming pool would substantially limit your choices. From what I know, there are just very few pools with commutable distance to NYC. You can add an above ground pool for maybe 10 - 15K or so. But digging in-ground pool is very expensive... On the other hand, a lot of towns have municipal swimming pools.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,255 times
Quote:
Guys,

Fair Lawn would be the best option for you. there's a bus and train station, really good schools, safe

Old 02-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
Fair Lawn would be the best option for you. there's a bus and train station, really good schools, safe
Fair Lawn was my first thought for this poster, but I looked and didn't find any with pools.

HOWEVER, Fair Lawn has Memorial Pool, a sand-bottom municipal pool. It's got an advantage in that it provides a lot of social exposure, especially for kids and families. Fair Lawn is also the commuter dream town. Two train stations plus express bus service to the PABT.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think looking for only houses that have a swimming pool would substantially limit your choices. From what I know, there are just very few pools with commutable distance to NYC. You can add an above ground pool for maybe 10 - 15K or so. But digging in-ground pool is very expensive... On the other hand, a lot of towns have municipal swimming pools.
An outdoor pool in NJ is a waste of land, your money and will hurt you on resale. You can only use a pool for a few weeks at most out of the year. If the OP wants to swim, go use the municipal pools. Also, with that budget I wouldn't want it on pool maintenance which isn't free.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:58 PM

232 posts, read 278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Take a look at Maywood. It has a cute old time downtown with a few bars that have bands on the weekends. May not have have any houses with pools but you can always pit one in. Most houses sell around 400k. The one issue is that the zoned high school is Hackensack which is iffy. Lower schools are fine.

Hawthorne is another real old time jersey town with a movie theater, nice library and lots of restaurants. Schools are average.
If Maywood didnt have problem wirh superfund site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey