Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceog View Post
You do realize your question leaves out the actual answer. The school itself and all that it entails should run the school with some input from parents where needed. The parents should parent thier children.
A school administration bullied by affluent parents to do as they say is not a good environment for anyone.
im not exactly sure what that person meant by "the parents run the schools." i see parental involvement in my local schools and its about providing a better educational experience for the children. they arent bullying people, they care a lot more about the students than the school employees do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not exactly sure what that person meant by "the parents run the schools." i see parental involvement in my local schools and its about providing a better educational experience for the children. they arent bullying people, they care a lot more about the students than the school employees do.
I have heard complaints from coworkers that in the Short Hills/Ridgewood elementary schools, the ratio of stay at home moms to dual income families is something like 21 to 3 in most of the classes. Therefore, the stay at home moms are heavily involved in PTA, scholarship organizations, school clubs (one mom was upset that there was no math olympiad team so she demanded that the school let her run one, which she abandoned after her children aged out), requiring constant notes/calls/emails from teachers.

Another example is lunches in Deerfield Elementary in Short Hills is served by parents and ALL parents are required to volunteer 3-5 days a year. It might seem "cute" to helicopter parents but imagine working parents having to take 3-5 days off a year in addition to the other school closings/holidays just to label and distribute lunch bags for 2 hours.

When I hear "the parents run the schools", it is usually accompanied by frustrations of kids of working families feeling disadvantaged that cliques of super active moms have such strong influence on what should be a fair learning environment.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
I have heard complaints from coworkers that in the Short Hills/Ridgewood elementary schools, the ratio of stay at home moms to dual income families is something like 21 to 3 in most of the classes. Therefore, the stay at home moms are heavily involved in PTA, scholarship organizations, school clubs (one mom was upset that there was no math olympiad team so she demanded that the school let her run one, which she abandoned after her children aged out), requiring constant notes/calls/emails from teachers.

Another example is lunches in Deerfield Elementary in Short Hills is served by parents and ALL parents are required to volunteer 3-5 days a year. It might seem "cute" to helicopter parents but imagine working parents having to take 3-5 days off a year in addition to the other school closings/holidays just to label and distribute lunch bags for 2 hours.

When I hear "the parents run the schools", it is usually accompanied by frustrations of kids of working families feeling disadvantaged that cliques of super active moms have such strong influence on what should be a fair learning environment.
i can certainly understand teachers being annoyed by some of the parents but that doesnt mean that it harms the educational quality. it probably improves it more than harms. teachers are employees and (like all of us) dont like to be bothered too much. but often the person bothering isnt doing anything negative.

with regards to the stay at home vs working parents. well, i guess they are advantaged since they have a stay at home mom there to help. its part of a trade off like everything else in life. its nice to be able to have a stay at home parent, not everyone can. its also an advantage, i dont see anything wrong with that.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceog View Post
Insecure much? My bias against people who are entitled jerks? I have a problem with new money, acting like new money. I never said anything about successful people. Your definition of success is surely narrow. Not everyone who sits in a position of comfort financially has to prove it or be a jerk about it.

If you're swimming in it, it's often hard to see it.
Your ignorance is proof enough that I was correct.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

LOL, they are asked to .."not required" . You seem to take um bridge with Parents who stay home as if it's a bad thing. Here's a tip my wife and I both worked and we took turns ....you would be surprised on how well that works . Students don't get suspended if a parent can't volunteer for a school function . I find the term "I have heard complaints from coworkers"....so admittedly you have no actual personal knowledge of anything you're saying ...just hear say,interesting.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:42 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, they are asked to .."not required" . You seem to take um bridge with Parents who stay home as if it's a bad thing. Here's a tip my wife and I both worked and we took turns ....you would be surprised on how well that works . Students don't get suspended if a parent can't volunteer for a school function . I find the term "I have heard complaints from coworkers"....so admittedly you have no actual personal knowledge of anything you're saying ...just hear say,interesting.
Well in my team of 8 people, all but me live in Short Hills. All have complained about the lunch service and those without wives at home go to in have had to take days off for the lunch service, so while it's true that I personally don't know what the consequences are for refusing to participate, the fact that they all ended up doing it for years seems the peer pressure system is working.

Look I'm not saying people should pick school districts based on lunch duty, but when insiders talk to you about what their families are struggling with in a system and what they perceive as meddling parents, leading to everyone feeling they need to helicopter parent as a result, I don't think that should be outright dismissed as hearsay. It's all part of understanding whether a town and school district will be a good fit for your family and your values.

Old 04-09-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Well in my team of 8 people, all but me live in Short Hills. All have complained about the lunch service and those without wives at home go to in have had to take days off for the lunch service, so while it's true that I personally don't know what the consequences are for refusing to participate, the fact that they all ended up doing it for years seems the peer pressure system is working.

Look I'm not saying people should pick school districts based on lunch duty, but when insiders talk to you about what their families are struggling with in a system and what they perceive as meddling parents, leading to everyone feeling they need to helicopter parent as a result, I don't think that should be outright dismissed as hearsay. It's all part of understanding whether a town and school district will be a good fit for your family and your values.
well, there probably was a reason they chose to live in short hills including quality schools. those parents that are actually involved in their children's education beyond asking about their day are probably a part of why the school is one that influenced their decision to live there.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:26 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:

I call BS. What about the mothers who are getting chemo, in rehab, have newborns or severely disabled children, or the ones who have to take care of aging parents, run a company, are working as live in household help along with their children, or the grandparents who have custody and are not interested in doing lunch duty, the actress who is out town on a movie shoot, I know of each of these family situations and they decline the lunch duty offer. Get real.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:36 AM

its interesting how she uses the term "helicopter parents" to describe stay at home moms. its obviously meant as a negative and appears to be applied generally to the entire group of stay at home moms. i work for a living to earn money but my job as a parent is much more important to me. i dont think being heavily involved in child raising is a negative. i understand that sometimes parents dont do the right thing but that isnt mostly what is happening. mostly parents are just trying to get their kids the best opportunity to be well educated.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:

LOL, BS . They ask for your help ,if you can't you can't .Some parents "complain" becuase they are lazy ,the truth hurts .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey