Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

I am a 20 year old guy and I live in New Jersey. I live with parents and am under their insurance (Liberty Mutual). I got pulled over in the main road of a residential area for going 40 mph in a 25 mph zone (That's 15 over the limit). The cop was on the opposite side of the road at the time. I saw him slowing down. I knew he was an undercover cop. I knew he was up to catch me, because he turned around using someone's driveway to catch me. I tried turn right on a residential road to get away from him and it was too late, he caught me. He said he could not print out the ticket, so he will mail the ticket to my house. Who knows if he doesn't actually mail a ticket.

I work at a law firm (not as a lawyer) and I am allowed to use the lawyers for free except I will have to pay for any other costs. Should I tell the lawyers at work that I want to fight it? I don't want my parents to find out about the ticket if I fight it. I am worried about their insurance. Liberty Mutual does forgive you for your first ticket, but remember, it's not my own insurance, so I am not sure if they would forgive me since it was MY first ticket. Also, I got a ticket before for a seatbelt violation, which is a 0 point and non moving violation in NJ.

Last edited by moshywilly; 04-13-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
How about not driving like a jerk, and thinking about other people?

Old 04-13-2019, 04:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Fight it yourself.
A lot of these cops don't show up.
That's an automatic win for you.
It's a time-consuming process but so many of them gets dismissed.
Almost all of the seat belt tickets got dismissed even if the cops did show up because a lot of cops see movement but they don't actually see you buckling the belt.
Not really strong case against you for the cop to say I don't think he had his belt on. I saw him moving so I think he buckled it after I stopped him.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
If you were in a residential area going 40, there may have been children at play. Slow down...you deserve the ticket. If you do it again, I hope you get another one. If you were driving by my house at 40, in a 25 mph zone, I'd report you. I'd also call you an "Idiot."

Old 04-13-2019, 05:54 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Be a man and pay the ticket.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Oh, and one other thing, move out of your parents house, start taking personal responsibility for your life. I mean, your 20 years old, you need to get moving. Don't be one of these perpetual whiners that blame others for their own shortcomings/laziness. Get out there, fail, correct, repeat.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:11 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post

<snip>
Should I tell the lawyers at work that I want to fight it? I don't want my parents to find out about the ticket if I fight it. I am worried about their insurance. Liberty Mutual does forgive you for your first ticket, but remember, it's not my own insurance, so I am not sure if they would forgive me since it was MY first ticket
This is not something to hide from your parents. Especially since it's their insurance policy and they will find out from the insurance company.

Plus, it will be more embarrassing if your parents find out from a source other than you. That has more consequences than not telling them.

Confiding in them and dealing with this straight on means you are growing up. The choice is up to you which way you will act.

Take a deep breath and do what you need to do. Your parents can support you and help you make a decision . Best wishes.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
The messages here are just fine. Slow down. I know that is not the "macho" thing to do, but changing your behavior will likely prevent future tickets, and may in fact prevent an accident and/or injury/death.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
This is not something to hide from your parents. Especially since it's their insurance policy and they will find out from the insurance company.

Plus, it will be more embarrassing if your parents find out from a source other than you. That has more consequences than not telling them.

Confiding in them and dealing with this straight on means you are growing up. The choice is up to you which way you will act.

Take a deep breath and do what you need to do. Your parents can support you and help you make a decision . Best wishes.
Well I will go to court first. If that does not work, I will at least get 2 points removed by taking the defensive driving course (after paying the fine).

Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Maybe you should stop driving before you kill somebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: