Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:45 PM

90 posts, read 145,695 times

Advertisements

I heard many times that daily commute from NJ to the city is painful with frequent delays. Is commuting on LIRR from Long Island just as painful? Both are through Penn Station.... Any insights?
I am posting this question on both forums, looking for folks who had experience commuting to both areas... Thank you for your inputs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:04 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
As always, it depends. Where in LI and NJ?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
I have lived in LI and NJ I find that I, like the old vampires say,,, need the SOIL. Bugs me out to stay on any crowded island, I needed to get back to the continental USA at least once a week. Just me, but I find most people in LI have always lived there so they are used to it. Too much traffic in LI and only several ways out,,, NO thanks.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:55 PM

220 posts, read 379,467 times
I've done LIRR, NJT Train and NJ Coach bus (not NJT bus). For train, it depends heavily on which line you're taking. For LIRR, the best and most reliable line is probably the Port Washington line because it's the only one that doesn't go through Jamaica (which often has switching problems). I think for NJT train, the bergen/main line to Hoboken is probably the most reliable because it doesn't share tunnels w/ Amtrak, but then of course it's not a direct line into Manhattan (you either need to switch at Secaucus which negates that previous statement, or transfer to PATH at Hoboken which I actually don't think is too bad). The new PATH/subway station down by Word Trade is really nice btw.

NJT bus is cheap and fast and not subject to the craziness that's Penn station, but PABT is prob the most disgusting of the 3 major transportation hubs in Manhattan, and if there are delays those NJT bus lines can get really long (but move fairly quickly). Then again, Penn Station is an absolute madhouse too when there are delays and around the holidays. I personally like Coach bus more bc the lines are shorter at PABT, but the tickets are more expensive. Bus is fastest before 7am and after 630-7pm.

There are too many variables to definitively say one mode is better/faster than the others, but one thing I'll suggest is to really do a lot of research into the parking situation if you need to drive to the bus/train from your home.

Edit: this was not in OP, but Metro North is probably the best out of all the suburb commuting options.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:40 PM

173 posts, read 216,413 times
Had a decent commute from hicksvill Long Island for many years that was superior to my bus commute from NJ, but I’ve heard LIRR has gotten much worse recently. And it’s highly dependent on your family situation and work location. In some cases the best suburban commute is NJ, in some cases it’s Westchester and in some cases it’s LI.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
LI is much worse. Stick to NJ. Queens and Brooklyn are between LI and NYC. PATH trains lead right to the job areas of Manhattan.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:20 PM

116 posts, read 234,930 times
I am from Queens and moved to NJ.. The LIRR is utter trash. My friend on numerous occasions came to my apartment after work cause the delays were so bad that he would take the subway to me and wait it out till the mid evening and attempt to go home. It became such a hassle that he just drove to my house in the mornings and parked his car and took the subway into Manhattan.

I love the coach buses but I hate the Port Authority with a passion. Its insulting to believe that we are entering our 2nd decade in the 21st century and this is what our infrastructure looks like.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post
I am from Queens and moved to NJ.. The LIRR is utter trash. My friend on numerous occasions came to my apartment after work cause the delays were so bad that he would take the subway to me and wait it out till the mid evening and attempt to go home. It became such a hassle that he just drove to my house in the mornings and parked his car and took the subway into Manhattan.

I love the coach buses but I hate the Port Authority with a passion. Its insulting to believe that we are entering our 2nd decade in the 21st century and this is what our infrastructure looks like.
Hence the project to replace it.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
I'm not familiar with the commute with the LIRR, but it depends on where you live in NJ for the commute to NYC.

Living directly off the PATH train my commute to Brooklyn was about 40 minutes which wasn't too bad. But from Bergen County taking the bus it would be about an hour.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hence the project to replace it.
They can replace the PABT at the same time they shut the North River Tunnels down for renovation and maybe shut down a PATH line for no good reason, then we'll have a real Summer of Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey