Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 AM

586 posts, read 314,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
This is so true. I retired to FL and that's exactly what the people from the south and certain areas of the midwest think about NY and NJ. But you know what, that's OK because I'll take my education and ability to earn more than $40K a year any day over their conservative, low tax, everyone has a gun and a pick up truck mentality.

Yours is that exact arrogant attitude that make Jersey appear to others as even worse than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 07:39 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
Yours is that exact arrogant attitude that make Jersey appear to others as even worse than it is.
Thanks. Back at ya.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:06 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
That's not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that people are judging the state by just one city. What I am saying is that I feel people in New Jersey look down on cities like Newark but I feel other states are more beautiful physically and less corrupt, honestly.

I just don't really like how New Jerseyans look down on Newark when people from other states probably see New Jersey the way suburbanites here see Newark.

And also about the conservative remark the other poster mentioned, you have to realize compared to Newark even a place like Metuchen feels like Kentucky compared to how liberal and progressive Newark is (in terms of politics though not income). The same can be said about Jersey City.
Pretty much everyone sees Newark as being Gotham City minus Batman, and the entire country also looks down on the rest of the entire state for other reasons, so I'm not really sure what you're really looking for.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:08 PM

596 posts, read 895,878 times
This was about 20 years ago when I lived in CT. I heard a friend of mine say, "We went to New Jersey during our vacation." I clearly remember thinking to myself, "Why would ANYONE go to New Jersey for a vacation?" I had never thought that I would someday end up living here.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:49 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
This was about 20 years ago when I lived in CT. I heard a friend of mine say, "We went to New Jersey during our vacation." I clearly remember thinking to myself, "Why would ANYONE go to New Jersey for a vacation?" I had never thought that I would someday end up living here.
On the other hand...
Why would anyone go to CT--the absolutely most boring state in The US--for a vacation?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:32 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
That's not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying that people are judging the state by just one city. .
Yes, that is exactly what you're saying and it's BS.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
People really do say that other states are nicer and friendlier.

I see plenty of New Jerseyans see their cities like Newark and Trenton with disgust.

I wonder if people from Ohio and states like that see New Jersey with the same amount of disgust, at least maybe the Northeast part.
People who don't know NJ think the entire state is what is seen from the turnpike. They think all of NJ looks like the opening credits to the TV show Hill Street Blues filled with mean looking streets and it's all urban with row houses. They don't know it is the Garden State and that it has beautiful countryside with farms. They don't know that NJ goes out of its way not to simply clear cut trees all over the place like Ohio does. And that many towns have ordinances to control zoning to limit things like 24-hour businesses which can bring an unwelcome element to their town. They also don't know how good the public schools are in NJ. Yes, the property taxes can be higher than in other states, but you get what you pay for.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:21 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Anyone that judges a place by a TV show isn't very smart.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:15 AM

351 posts, read 271,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
You must have never been down the shore to the beach over summer. Many people from all over especially in PA and CT frequently come to Jersey over summer with their families and sometimes stay for weeks at a time to summer vacation at the beach... and it's very normal to do so. Hence why many people have NJ shore houses at the beach, it's the same thing as why there are many hotels on LBI for a reason. Also, many people rent out their shore houses as weekly summer rentals so people can pay rent to vacation in them. Your post made you seem very unfamiliar with the fact that many people pay good money to have a relaxing summer beach vacation in NJ. I own a shore house that I rent out weekly over summer and the tenants keep coming back each year to vacation at the beach in NJ. I guess you just aren't too familiar with the concept.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:37 AM

23 posts, read 18,885 times
If they are uneducated and learned about NJ through TV and movies they might not think NJ is great. Asking if they look at NJ as some people in NJ look at Newark is a bit of a stretch and just not a great comparison. Many non Newark residents in NJ were conditioned to think Newark is the worst place on the planet. Many people who are really focused on telling you how bad Newark is have never spent time in Newark and only know it through the media. Newark will not be able to outgrow it's bad reputation unless it improves (which it has been doing in certain areas and continues to) and the next generations aren't taught how "bad" it is.*

Travel through NJ and find out what it's really like. Why is this important to you? I don't particularly care what the rest of the country thinks about NJ because if they think they have it all figured out from a distance than their opinion doesn't much matter.*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey