Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 23,394 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, with everything going on this is sort of odd timing, but due to job changes we'll be relocating from Bergen Co. We will have two people commuting, one will be to the Cherry Hill area and the other in New Brunswick. However, the NB commuter has a very flexible schedule, can work from home several days a week (when things return to normal) and doesn't need to commute at rush hour. The other schedule is much more rigid.

We are looking for a suburban feel with a newer large house on a good sized lot with a budget of up to $1.2M, this isn't an issue in either locale. We're really not concerned about specific houses when looking at the two locations.

We did a very thorough analysis of various potential towns and are trying to decide which area works best. I don't know much about actually living in Moorestown, but it does very well "on paper". Safe, good schools, nice houses, etc. I do know a bit more about the other areas, Cranbury has very stable taxes due to a robust warehouse district, and Manalapan seems fairly resistant to big tax increases. How does Moorestown fare in regard to property taxes? That's a big question. Are increases likely? Also how is the commute in the mornings? I'm not so worried about the Turnpike as I am the first few miles in town. There is also the issue of proximity to some not so desirable areas like Camden. Is this an issue?

Comments specifically on Moorestown would be super helpful, since we know the least about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
To get from Manalapan to the NJ Turnpike exit 8, you have to take Route 33 West which is the direction of the traffic in the morning.
I suppose you can cut through local roads to get to exit 8A of the Turnpike.

For my taste, Manalapan is a bit too far from the NJ Turnpike.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/moorest...property-taxes

Old 04-08-2020, 12:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
I would not choose Manalapan...too far out from the Turnpike for the commute. I would say Moorestown’s taxes would be less stable than Cranbury’s taxes. I am sure their biggest single payer is their mall, and it is a dying mall. Its proximity to Camden is not a concern though. It is nice to be quite close to Philadelphia though. You can regularly do trips into the city from Moorestown. Cranbury is relatively far from both Philadelphia and NYC and is much more of an ordeal to do those trips. A commute from Cranbury to Cherry Hill should not be awful especially since it is a reverse commute, but the midpoint between Cherry Hill and New Brunswick, which is Robbinsville, is my top choice here. It gets you closer to Cherry Hill, which is the more frequent commute. It’s very similar to Cranbury. It also has a big warehouse district and is safe with good schools as well. House price is probably somewhere in between Moorestown and Cranbury. All three towns have similar income levels, but the further south you go, the cheaper it gets, so that’s why I say that.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:16 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
Lockheed Martin and its subcontractors are major employers in Moorestown.

Besides Robbinsville , look at Allentown and the part of Hamilton Township near Route 130 and I-195. Do not know anything about taxes.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM

195 posts, read 135,864 times
you guys with what town is better for this or that...blah blah blah. Dont move here each “town” wants to generate revenue on the property u buy and now are renting from... Dont move to NJ your perpetuating main problem in this state. Make those “towns” defunct and useless, stop giving them more host to thrive. The school arguement is bs, thats 50 genetics and 45 parenting then 5% school.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I would not choose Manalapan...too far out from the Turnpike for the commute. I would say Moorestown’s taxes would be less stable than Cranbury’s taxes. I am sure their biggest single payer is their mall, and it is a dying mall. Its proximity to Camden is not a concern though. It is nice to be quite close to Philadelphia though. You can regularly do trips into the city from Moorestown. Cranbury is relatively far from both Philadelphia and NYC and is much more of an ordeal to do those trips. A commute from Cranbury to Cherry Hill should not be awful especially since it is a reverse commute, but the midpoint between Cherry Hill and New Brunswick, which is Robbinsville, is my top choice here. It gets you closer to Cherry Hill, which is the more frequent commute. It’s very similar to Cranbury. It also has a big warehouse district and is safe with good schools as well. House price is probably somewhere in between Moorestown and Cranbury. All three towns have similar income levels, but the further south you go, the cheaper it gets, so that’s why I say that.
Thanks! This is super helpful. Will definitely check into Robbinsville. City trips aren't a huge priority for us, so we're okay being a bit further out.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:24 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
Dont move to NJ your perpetuating main problem in this state. Make those “towns” defunct and useless, stop giving them more host to thrive.
The school arguement is bs, thats 50 genetics and 45 parenting then 5% school.
The OP should pay careful attention to this forum member because... clearly... he/she is an expert on the topic of schools!

Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The OP should pay careful attention to this forum member because... clearly... he/she is an expert on the topic of schools!
I was going to say...

Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Very easy question to answer, Moorestown is a far superior town over Manalapan or most towns in Central NJ.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:40 PM

968 posts, read 1,142,233 times
Cranbury = Moorestown > Manalapan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey