Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 1,610 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all. Hope everyone is doing well.

I am a 36yr old Hispanic male and my wife is a 32yr old college educated Hispanic. We have a 18 month old babygirl. We are born and raised in nyc (wife in nyc, me in queens) we have always lived in melting pot communities.

After we had our kid we started looking for a single family home. We’ve been saving for the past ten years.
We want the best elementary school possible within a 30mile commute from the gw (have to take the gw due to my daily commute from work).

Working with our realtor we’ve narrowed our search to Caldwell, Verona, Cedar Grove, Nutley, Bloomfield (Mostly Essex county) but have looked at Bergenfield too (Bergen County). We are well organized and budgeted blue collar but want to live within our means so the house would have to be around 450k and for taxes, we want to stay under 12.5k annually.

A lot of houses within that criteria but our concern while researching is diversity. Is it really that bad?
Would our kid not get treated fairly? Bullying?

And are out of towners or new Yorkers not welcome in these communities? Thx for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 16,878 times
i think most of the communities you have listed are diverse in their own way, some more so than others. For example, I think Bloomfield and Nutley would be more diverse...not sure about Bergenfield as I've never been there. I think Cedar Grove is diverse, but to my understanding also has a pretty large Italian American population. Verona has very well rated schools, probably the best out of this list. What other things are you looking for besides schools...smaller town feel? downtown area? parks? etc...

I don't think your kids will have an issue no matter where you decide to move...

Old 04-29-2020, 12:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopandlearnIcecream View Post

I am a 36yr old Hispanic male and my wife is a 32yr old college educated Hispanic. We have a 18 month old babygirl. We are born and raised in nyc (wife in nyc, me in queens) we have always lived in melting pot communities.

After we had our kid we started looking for a single family home. We’ve been saving for the past ten years.
We want the best elementary school possible within a 30mile commute from the gw (have to take the gw due to my daily commute from work).

Working with our realtor we’ve narrowed our search to Caldwell, Verona, Cedar Grove, Nutley, Bloomfield (Mostly Essex county) but have looked at Bergenfield too (Bergen County). We are well organized and budgeted blue collar but want to live within our means so the house would have to be around 450k and for taxes, we want to stay under 12.5k annually.

A lot of houses within that criteria but our concern while researching is diversity. Is it really that bad?

And are out of towners or new Yorkers not welcome in these communities? Thx for the input.
That is funny, because years ago I heard people whisper that Bergenfield isn't a great place to live anymore because it's too Hispanic. I personally know one person who grew up there, now in her fifties, and she is Cuban. When she was a kid, they WERE the only Spanish-speaking family in town, but that was thirty-five, forty years ago.

I doubt very much Bloomfield would be a problem, either. I don't know the other towns that much, but c'mon, there are a lot of Hispanic people in NJ, even in predominantly and traditionally northern European "white" towns. It's New Jersey, for God's sake, not some cornfield town in the Midwest. With several hundred thousand people commuting to the city every day from New Jersey, and millions who either themselves or their parents moved here from the city since the 1960s, do you really think the bolded is a valid question?

From where I sit, I think people like me whose ancestors skipped the city and have lived in Jersey for generations since they came here from Europe are the exception now. And I don't care. My own neighbors are black, white, Malaysian, Chinese, and Brazilian.

Now go find a house you LIKE. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:27 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is funny, because years ago I heard people whisper that Bergenfield isn't a great place to live anymore because it's too Hispanic.
The fastest-growing group in Bergenfield is the Filipino community, which is why that town is frequently referred to as the "Little Manila" of Bergen County. The Hispanic population is still larger than that of the Filipino community, but the Filipinos are rapidly gaining on them. I would have no problem living in Bergenfield, even though I have no intention of relocating from Somerset County

Old 04-29-2020, 05:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The fastest-growing group in Bergenfield is the Filipino community, which is why that town is frequently referred to as the "Little Manila" of Bergen County. The Hispanic population is still larger than that of the Filipino community, but the Filipinos are rapidly gaining on them. I would have no problem living in Bergenfield, even though I have no intention of relocating from Somerset County
Ah, didn't know that!

Name a country, and people from there live in NJ.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:06 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Of the towns you mentioned, I think Nutley offers the beat balance of commute, diversity, and good schools. Not the best of any of those categories, but pretty good overall.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopandlearnIcecream View Post

Where are you from in Queens?

I can give you an idea of what the closest would be to that in NJ.

Though NJ doesn't really have melting pots in the same way. Maybe East Rutherford.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Though NJ doesn't really have melting pots in the same way. Maybe East Rutherford.
Well, Paterson's a crucible of sorts. Might find the heat to be a bit high though :-)

Old 04-29-2020, 11:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
aren't filipinos and hispanics practically cousins?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:40 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
aren't filipinos and hispanics practically cousins?
What?

No.

Filipinos associate more with other Asians if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey