Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:10 AM

19,199 posts, read 25,468,334 times

Advertisements

Can we learn anything from Israel's rush to re-open their schools?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/israel...lockdown-gains

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 09:57 AM

7,533 posts, read 3,655,635 times
My district will not even let you drop off the required health forms in person or in a mailbox outside the school, yet they are supposed to open in September? Rumor is that their plan is 2 half days and the rest will be virtual. In my opinion, this plan will just be used to convince people that they should just go 100% virtual since 2 half days per week is not only logistically impossible for many families, but really pointless. I believe they will probably announce statewide school shutdown in late August. The teacher's union has spoken and made it clear what their position is.

I am beginning to wonder what the relevance to school is? If we are all going to homeschool, heck I don't need all the associated costs that go into buildings, salaries, pensions, benefits, so forth. The virus isn't going anywhere, there is no cure for it and vaccines aren't 100% effective especially if virus mutates.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
i wonder if there are any pre-existing online education platforms to cover this stuff. the offering last year was not sufficient so if they want to do it online they should use a proven platform, pay for it and refund to homeowners the difference in cost.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:58 AM

7,533 posts, read 3,655,635 times
The stage is being set: Murphy just announced “The Department of Education will be releasing guidance allowing for parents to choose all-remote learning for their children."

so parents will have the choice to do 100% virtual. Now, who would even bother to send their kids to 2 half day in person school sessions, probably not many. I guess this is a win for the teachers union

Old 07-20-2020, 11:28 AM

1,169 posts, read 882,549 times
Kristina, first off there are many parents who want to send their children back to school. You seem to think everyone wants to keep their children home. Far from the truth. The latest survey by the DOE was that it was more like 50/50. In more affluent school districts, even more parents surveyed wanted to send their child back to some type of in person learning.

2nd, if you watched Murphy's entire conference today, he clearly stated there will be some type of in person instruction for those parents who want it! He also even hinted that he feels safety guidelines will be effective for indoor dining (which he needs to see a 7 day rolling average of decreasing RT value and hospitalizations). Hate to break it to you, but NJ has basically contained this virus for over a month now. It is safe. BTW, Israel tried to pack too many kids in the same class. Read more into it and you learn the truth. Other Euro countries have been successful with school reopenings under safer guidelines.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:35 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,234,895 times
“Gov. Murphy announced that New Jersey will offer a remote-learning option for schools amid the coronavirus outbreak.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/holmdel...update-7-20-20

Smart. Will lessen the number of students in the buildings, making the physical distancing a bit easier. Having remote learning already in place for those who want it will make it easier if a second wave hits and schools close once again.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:56 AM

1,169 posts, read 882,549 times
Lets just hope there is no 2nd wave. But, personally I think we need to have a vaccine by flu season to prevent one.

Old 07-20-2020, 01:58 PM

2,680 posts, read 2,111,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
There is no way schools will open in September. Actually, I think we should stop beating around the bush and make the call to close them indefinitely because you know what is going to happen. Schools will open, cases will go up, schools and everything will close down again including whatever has been open currently. Don't drive past the beach, parks shopping malls & retail stores though. When it comes to shopping, partying, and leisure activities people are clearly not concerned about COVID, but start talking about school and work and the narrative changes to being quite terrified. Hybrid schedules are a joke and will not protect students or teachers from anything. Keep them closed!
And what are the parents who need to work supposed to do? Especially if the offices are gradually opened? What about the mental state of the kids cooped up at home. You seem to dismiss the issues completely.

In fact, the day cares for essential workers stayed opened through the pandemic. Never heard that there way a major problem with Covid spread. Private day cares opened in NJ June 15th, more than a month ago. Again, no major problems. Schools can and should open the same way unless there is a substantial increase of overall cases...

Old 07-21-2020, 06:41 PM

195 posts, read 136,870 times
the teachers are either fearful or living thier "best life" of staying home and getting paid. many ppl would love to stay home stare at a laptop for a few hrs and get paid. they know this is not true school, its bs to do as little work as possible and get paid the same.If you think this is not a major element on why the teachers dont wanna go back, then ur living in lala land

Old 07-22-2020, 07:41 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,849,478 times
once we are doing virtual learning long term, we should be able to pull the money from our local school district and sign up with a proven virtual school (if one exists). my daughter's teachers are great people and are doing their best but its not sufficient. why should we be limited to our local schools if its online? pull the money and let us take it elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: