Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,371,151 times

Advertisements

Just called, opposed the closing. The poll was really fast (and spoke to a pleasant woman, might I add).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:34 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,676,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Someone put this poor kid on a suicide watch already. Just reading his posts makes me want to down an entire bottle of Paxil!
I Wouldn't mind him, he's having trouble figuring out why this magical typewriter is putting letters on a screen....

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
This is New Jersey, after all, and this state couldn't get any uglier, so who cares if the parks close? Some employees will loss their jobs, which is sad, but other than that, I don't see the harm in doing so. I have lived in this state my entire life, seen just about all of it, and it is all an eye-soar anyway and open space here is a joke anyway. IF it will help the budget crisis, go for it. I'll be leaving this state in a year never to return, so I could really care less anyway.
Wow arent you just a ray of sunshine! AS you stated "couldn't get any uglier" ? Sure it can, but only if you stayed .

Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,825,751 times
Quote:
This is New Jersey, after all, and this state couldn't get any uglier, so who cares if the parks close? Some employees will loss their jobs, which is sad, but other than that, I don't see the harm in doing so. I have lived in this state my entire life, seen just about all of it, and it is all an eye-soar anyway and open space here is a joke anyway. IF it will help the budget crisis, go for it. I'll be leaving this state in a year never to return, so I could really care less anyway.
You're looking in the wrong places, Victorianpunk. NJ has many, many beautiful areas. The Pinelands, The Del Water Gap, and the National Recreation Area going north(former Tocks Island) right up past Stokes State Forest to High Point. The Delaware Valley headed south from Phillipsburg down to Lambertville is one of the very most scenic areas in the lower 48 IMO.

The problem was I didn't really appreciate all the good areas until after I left. Now I wish I visited them more.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:57 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
Wow arent you just a ray of sunshine! AS you stated "couldn't get any uglier" ? Sure it can, but only if you stayed .
Are you kidding? That's nothing...

Quote:
I am a 27 year old male who wants to move to Portland, and this might be long winded...

...First, allow me to condense the reasons why New Jersey sucks so much and why I so hate it...so I can say what allot be who start threads like this almost never do: why I want to move and what I think I can find in Portland that I can't find here...

Reason 1: The Weather. It gets to be 15 degrees in the winter around here almost every day for a month. I don't mind the cold that much, but then there's the damn snow. UHHH! I hate it. Worst yet, is that damn orb of cosmic radiation euphemistically referred to as "the Sun". I cannot over-emphasize this...I HATE SUNLIGHT! You know what the sun is? It's an orb of radiation hurling across the dead vacuum of space to destroy you.That tan you get is your body putting up it's puny defenses as those deadly gamma rays singe your skin. I'm sorry, but I am convinced that my mother had an affair with a vampire. I want to see a sky that is hues of platinum, silver and marble...not cheap turquoise and half filled with a big yellow death orb, which is the case in New Jersey all too often...even in September and THE DEAD OF WINTER, that orb is out damaging my eyes.
Well THAT explains the hatred of Guidos...

Quote:
Reason 2: The people. There are 3 types of people who make up 95% of the population of Jersey.
1) the snobs. Pricks who, in the first stage of their lives are preppies, become frat-boys and sorotitues in College and, in the third and final stage of their lives are what would have been called "yuppies" in a better age. These people, as a rule, are clueless, think that they are above the law, and look at you through their nostrils. They all listen to the music that is the only music that one listens to in Jersey, i.e., either that awful hip-hop crap or Emo type pop or straight up Justin Timberlake style crap.
2)The Guidos/guidettes. I don't know how many of you have seen the infamous "my new haircut" video on youtube, but that about sums up the average Jersey Guido attitude. These guys are loud, rude, and IN YOUR FACE. And don't even get me started on the girls...a bunch of loose females with cup-sizes bigger than their IQs running around in 75 dollar sweat pants with the word "Pink" written across the booty and a head full of so much hairspray that their hair is no longer biodegradable. None of these girls or guys can have a conversation about anything other than sports, cars, alcohol, pop, Emo or Hip-hop or, their FAVORITE conversation piece... how great they are.
3) The dumb thug types. These dudes, who are not always black, mind you, are the worst. All they listen to is that Gangstalicious crap and parade around with their pants half hanging off their rear ends, women's underwear on their heads, and go looking to start a fight with anyone...ESPECIALLY a black kid who is a little different from the average...i.e., a kid like me.
Funny how the person who cries "WAAAAAAH!!! ACCEPT ME AS I AM!!!" Manages to pigeonhole the nearly 9 million people of New Jersey into 3 blatant stereotypes.

Quote:
Also, I love the outdoors, and this might sound strange to some but, NEW JERSIANS HATE THE OUTDOORS. Every time I say that I like backpacking, hiking etc, people look at me like I just sprouted an elbow from out of my forehead. I have lived here my entire life, and have only met six people who like the outdoors...four of which were from out-of-state originally. I told some people at my job about how nice it was that a family of Red Tailed hawks set up a nest right by my house and I could look and see mommy hawk feeding her babies, and they, EVERYONE OF THEM, looked at me like I just announced that I am a member of the Bin Ladin fan club. People in Jersey hate the outdoors...and it's fine, considering their are no nice open spaces here, unless you include the mall.
Areas managed by the National Park Service include:

* Appalachian National Scenic Trail
* Delaware National Scenic River
* Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
* Edison National Historic Site in West Orange
* Ellis Island National Monument
* Gateway National Recreation Area in Monmouth County
* Great Egg Harbor River
* Morristown National Historical Park in Morristown
* New Jersey Coastal Heritage Trail Route
* New Jersey Pinelands National Reserve

Prominent geographic features include:

* Delaware Water Gap
* Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge
* The Highlands
* New Jersey Meadowlands
* Pine Barrens
* South Mountain

New Jersey Conservation Foundation (NJCF) - preserving land and natural resources in NJ

NJDEP-Division of Parks and Forestry

Hunterdon Land Trust Alliance

NJDEP Division of Fish & Wildlife

New Jersey Pinelands Commission | Home

Northwest New Jersey Skylands Guide

Quote:
Reason 4) You HAVE TO DRIVE. Jersey is a spread-out state...but not "spread out" rural as much as it is spread-out with highways, condoes after condoes after condoes, and strip-malls. You HAVE TO have a car to live in Jersey. This is the most bicycle/pedestrian unfriendly place on Earth, and public transportation sucks. I have a car, but I would rather live somewhere where I could just ride a bicycle most of the time...I hate traffic, and am a bit of a eco-maniac. But, when I say I want to ride a bike around here, people look at me like I'm from Mars: In Jersey, bikes are for young children or poor, recent immigrants only.
We have the most extensive public transportation system in the country second to New York City.

Quote:
Let me also say this...I have lived here my whole life, but I never felt like a native.
I don't think New Jersey is the problem...maybe you could try Pluto?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
EB2

Quote:

Funny how the person who cries "WAAAAAAH!!! ACCEPT ME AS I AM!!!" Manages to pigeonhole the nearly 9 million people of New Jersey into 3 blatant stereotypes.

* Great Egg Harbor River

* Delaware Water Gap
* The Highlands
* New Jersey Meadowlands
* Pine Barrens
* South Mountain

New Jersey Conservation Foundation (NJCF) - preserving land and natural resources in NJ

We have the most extensive public transportation system in the country second to New York City.

You put that well! I'd give you reps, but I can't until I spread more around

Old 04-30-2008, 11:09 AM

I cant give you more reps either Badfish but that was great !! He is obvious canidate for prozac.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
I cant give you more reps either Badfish but that was great !! He is obvious canidate for prozac.
I honestly thought he was a female ;x. I guess that's okay, most people think I'm a man with my user name

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,987,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Poll for the State Parks

The New Jersey Governor's office is conducting a poll as to whether the NJ State Parks (and historic sites) should be closed -call… 609 292 6000

I just received this notice this afternoon and immediately called it and yes, its true. All I said was I understand you are taking a poll on NJ State Parks and they said yes. I only had to say I was against closing the parks and they said they would mark it down. They take no names or any information other than that. I was done in 10 seconds. Easy way to show support. Please pass this on.
Quote:

* Great Egg Harbor River

* Delaware Water Gap
* The Highlands
* New Jersey Meadowlands
* Pine Barrens
* South Mountain

First, all of the above "open spaces" you mention are about the size of a bowling alley. I have to them all, and us to fish in the Water Gap (until they found mercury...) and I can tell you, it's nothing to write home about. Jersy's slice of the Applachian trail is all of about ten miles in the furthest north, and the Delaware river is only slightly more "scenic" than a Newark slum. Compared to Olympic National forest or Mount Hood, it's a dirty backyard.

Also, every state has a parks commission. BIG DEAL. Difference is that Jersey has less of a need for one sense it's inhabitants don't like the parks at all and prefer the malls of seaside. I might also add that most Jersey forests are actually swamp...

As for mass Transit...yahh, the path in Newark or Jersey city account for about 80% of it, I'm sure.

Finally yes, I do hate sunlight. So what? how does that make me negative? Like I said, a real cynic is someone who sees a scene like this

and say "the sky is grey..." NO, I do not see grey, I see platinum and quicksilver, with mable in the back.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:31 AM

Finally yes, I do hate sunlight. So what? What are you a vampire or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey