Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 01:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,987,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Okay, I swear, as hard as it will be, I'm tearing myself away from this thread. I'm getting absolutely nothing done today and it's way past lunchtime and I haven't gotten anything to eat! A few parting comments and then I'm done. VictorianPunk, I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for in Portland, because you sure aren't finding it here. I would just caution you to not expect it to be the utopian paradise you've made it out to be in your mind. Just as you've over generalized and mis-characterized the people of New Jersey by blowing it's bad qualities WAY out of proportion, it seems as though you've only viewed Portland through deeply rose colored glasses. Basically all I'm saying is that it would really suck to get out there to find that you see the same problems in a different place. IMHO your search for the perfect place to live is a misplaced search for yourself. Have you ever taken the time to read the bizarre stuff that you post on the internet? You seem to have "made up" a persona because you have no idea who the hell you really are, and I'm betting you won't truly be happy until you figure that out-no matter where you live.

"What the..."

"Hey!"

"Doctor Phil!? What the hell are you doing on my computer!?"

Ok-time for lunch...Badfish-out.

So, when proven wrong, you essentially say "you have issues" Nice...anyhow, I know who I am, thank you very much...someone who likes goth/industrial/metal/new wave, someone who likes the outdoors and trees, someone who likes books and high Magick....i.e., someone who is in short demand in Jersey, a place where I have met like maybe ten people who I have anything in common with...eight of whom were from another state originally. Asking "how do you know there will be more freaks like you in Portland?" is like asking a country music freak "how do you know there will be more people like you in Oklahoma?"

I would also ask...what the hell is a MALE with a user name "badfish" doing accusing ME of having issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:14 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Also, every state has a parks commission. BIG DEAL. Difference is that Jersey has less of a need for one sense it's inhabitants don't like the parks at all and prefer the malls of seaside. I might also add that most Jersey forests are actually swamp...
B.S. Go to a Jersey park. People love 'em. I go to Liberty State Park almost every weekend to go cycling, picnic, walk in a quiet place, or just lay down on the grass. Even those of us stuck here in this horrible slum that is NJ need a refuge. NJDEP's website has geographic land cover data available for download, and you can see that most of the forest land in NJ is not swampland.

Quote:
As for mass Transit...yahh, the path in Newark or Jersey city account for about 80% of it, I'm sure.
Not even close. More commuters use the bus lane at the Lincoln Tunnel than PATH. The NJ TRANSIT bus system accounts for a huge majority of transit ridership in the state. People in every county rely on transit. We're fortunate enough to have a statewide operator and one of the greatest rail and bus networks in the country.

Quote:
Finally yes, I do hate sunlight. So what? how does that make me negative?
No, it makes you a vampire.

On the General U.S. board you posted that New Jerseyans are the biggest self-haters in the country. I think it's just you.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:56 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,623,516 times
No sun and too many drugs ......see what happens???

Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marye711 View Post
No sun and too many drugs ......see what happens???

Actually, I have never used an illegal drug in my life...at times, I feel like the only one who hasn't. I drink maybe three drinks a week, don't smoke, and my favorite drink is Chamomile tea with milk...so of course, I am have yet another reason to not get along with the drug addicts and drunkin guidoes who make up most of New Jersey's populace.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
B.S. Go to a Jersey park. People love 'em. I go to Liberty State Park almost every weekend to go cycling, picnic, walk in a quiet place, or just lay down on the grass. Even those of us stuck here in this horrible slum that is NJ need a refuge. NJDEP's website has geographic land cover data available for download, and you can see that most of the forest land in NJ is not swampland.

Not even close. More commuters use the bus lane at the Lincoln Tunnel than PATH. The NJ TRANSIT bus system accounts for a huge majority of transit ridership in the state. People in every county rely on transit. We're fortunate enough to have a statewide operator and one of the greatest rail and bus networks in the country.

No, it makes you a vampire.

On the General U.S. board you posted that New Jerseyans are the biggest self-haters in the country. I think it's just you.

First up, when I say "park" I mean like Yellowstone or Olympia, not Liberty Isle. So we have spots that say "here is wear Joey Figgeroli won the pasta eating championship in 1982" or something similar, who cares?

Second, mass transit is, indeed, a joke around here. Just a couple of buses filled with welfair cases and those AWFUL NJ Transit trains. Those things eternally smell of vomit and urine.

As for sunlight...so what? Why do Jersey people find it so hard to understand? I prefer dark, cloudy days...Seattle, Scotland? Those places have my idea weather patterns... June through September, if I am not going to work, I usually stay indoors with my black curtains drawn, as that AWFUL orb of cosmic radaition is out slamming light onto me and everything around me. Alas, it is almost at that time of the year when all I can do is draw my currants, put the AC on high and read by candlelight while listening to some ambient music(I am the only one in Jersey who likes ambient music, Btw) and pretend it's winter. Also, I hate heat, and there is nothing to do in Jersey during the summer anyway...unless you mean the beach, which I also hate.

Sorry, but I am a man, not a fish, and have absolutely no intrest in being immersed in sea water while having ABSOLUTELY NO PROTECTION from those HORRABLE UV rays. I can't swim, and have not been to a beach since I was ten, except a few times my sister DRAGGED ME to Cape May, where I just sat under an umbrella and tried to read...another thing most Jersyians cannot understand: NOT ALL OF US LIKE THE BEACH!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM

7,057 posts, read 19,329,539 times
Quote:
First up, when I say "park" I mean like Yellowstone or Olympia, not Liberty Isle. So we have spots that say "here is wear Joey Figgeroli won the pasta eating championship in 1982" or something similar, who cares?
I didn't say Liberty Island, I said Liberty State Park in NEW JERSEY (Liberty Island is in the harbor, remember? which is the jurisdiction of New York) that has woodlands, tidal and freshwater wetlands, hiking, biking trails, a beautiful esplanade, and is NJ's only urban state park. It's a great asset that is in walking distance for many residents of NJ's second largest city.

The parks you mentioned are NATIONAL parks (assuming you meant to say Olympic National Park and not Olympia, which is a city) and indeed they are magnificent. Did you realize there are 49 states that don't have Olympic National Park? Those other states must suckkkkk!!!

NJ has some national parks and preserves too. Gateway National Recreation Area and Delawater Water Gap National Rec Area as well as the Pinelands National Reserve (largest undeveloped land area on the East Coast is in the most densely populated state in the country, and it's mostly dry land! That's pretty cool).

BUT again, this thread is about state parks, isn't it...

Quote:
Second, mass transit is, indeed, a joke around here. Just a couple of buses filled with welfair cases and those AWFUL NJ Transit trains. Those things eternally smell of vomit and urine.
Maybe you don't like transit period. Again, NJ has some of the best levels of service in the country. It's an asset that hundreds of thousands of NJ residents use every day. Sound Transit doesn't compare, sorry. I can smell the "vomit" just looking at these NJ trains: http://raavionline.com/blog/wp-photos/20071229-211257-2.jpg (broken link)

And yes, you and you alone were THE ONLY person EVER in all the history of New Jersey who ever liked ambient music. EVERRRRRR. I think I have some Biosphere and Moby mp3s to go delete now.

It's fine to like the place you moved to. In fact, it's great. But the stuff you're throwing out on this forum is complete garbage. Every complaint you make about this state shows how little you know about it. If you want to state complaints, at least state some that make sense.

P.S. You know that UV rays penetrate clouds, right? Keep wearing sunscreen!

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM

717 posts, read 774,846 times
Quote:
I didn't say Liberty Island, I said Liberty State Park in NEW JERSEY (Liberty Island is in the harbor, remember? which is the jurisdiction of New York) that has woodlands, tidal and freshwater wetlands, hiking, biking trails, a beautiful esplanade, and is NJ's only urban state park. It's a great asset that is in walking distance for many residents of NJ's second largest city.

The parks you mentioned are NATIONAL parks (assuming you meant to say Olympic National Park and not Olympia, which is a city) and indeed they are magnificent. Did you realize there are 49 states that don't have Olympic National Park? Those other states must suckkkkk!!!

NJ has some national parks and preserves too. Gateway National Recreation Area and Delawater Water Gap National Rec Area as well as the Pinelands National Reserve (largest undeveloped land area on the East Coast is in the most densely populated state in the country, and it's mostly dry land! That's pretty cool).

BUT again, this thread is about state parks, isn't it...

Maybe you don't like transit period. Again, NJ has some of the best levels of service in the country. It's an asset that hundreds of thousands of NJ residents use every day. Sound Transit doesn't compare, sorry. I can smell the "vomit" just looking at these NJ trains: http://raavionline.com/blog/wp-photos/20071229-211257-2.jpg (broken link)

And yes, you and you alone were THE ONLY person EVER in all the history of New Jersey who ever liked ambient music. EVERRRRRR. I think I have some Biosphere and Moby mp3s to go delete now.

It's fine to like the place you moved to. In fact, it's great. But the stuff you're throwing out on this forum is complete garbage. Every complaint you make about this state shows how little you know about it. If you want to state complaints, at least state some that make sense.

P.S. You know that UV rays penetrate clouds, right? Keep wearing sunscreen!
Dude, Dont Validate anythig VictPunk posts. The attention VP is getting has never been experienced before this thread.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,988,281 times
Quote:
It's weird how you can feel incredibly sorry for a person yet be extremely repulsed by them at the same time. Obviously this kid has been an outcast his entire life and has probably had people dumping all over him so now he turns to the internet to spout his bizarre, over the top, sweeping generalizations about how how awful New Jersey is. Honestly I think the saddest part is how he puts a place he's only read about over the internet on a fantastical pedestal. His expectations are so incredibly high that he'll almost certainly be disappointed once he gets there if he ever does. The thing that aggravates me is that at 27 years old a person should really know better. Human beings are human beings. Whether you're talking about Southern California, Northern New Jersey, or Western Australia, there are good people, bad people, kind people, snooty people, etc...

So punk, he's some free advice. Life is what you make it. Once you stop blaming every other soul around you for your problems you'll be a much happier person. You act as though the posters on this forum are the scum of the earth. On the contrary-we all pretty much get along until a troll such as yourself comes along and starts ranting and raving about ideas that have no base in reality. Can you really expect people to look at you as a human being of some intelligence or at least average cognitive ability when you pigeonhole people into three absurd stereotypes? This state has millions of hardworking people just trying to get along, make a living, and provide for their families. For example, I am a government worker and my fiancee is a teacher. We've studied hard, gone to school, landed jobs, and we're buying a home in a place we want to raise our children? Does that make us Guidos? Preps? Snots? I'm really quite curious.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
It's weird how you can feel incredibly sorry for a person yet be extremely repulsed by them at the same time. Obviously this kid has been an outcast his entire life and has probably had people dumping all over him so now he turns to the internet to spout his bizarre, over the top, sweeping generalizations about how how awful New Jersey is.
First up, I had friends who were allot like me in Highschool and guess what? They all moved away, to the four corners of the world...some went to Berlin (Deutschland Rules!) some to Tampa (couldn't stand the sun...) and some I just lost contact of...and some went to Austin, which is a kick a$$$$ city, but too damn hot for me. Also..."sweeping generalizations"? weren't you the guy who said this...

Quote:
not some garbage concocted by a clove smoking, frilly collar wearing, science fiction writer who hates the sun and got stuffed into one too many lockers when he was a kid.
about the steampunk subgenre of science fiction? I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that I, having spent my whole life in Jersey, know more about it than you know about the average author of Steampunk fiction. I would call that a rather "sweeping generalization", wouldn't you?

Quote:
Honestly I think the saddest part is how he puts a place he's only read about over the internet on a fantastical pedestal. His expectations are so incredibly high that he'll almost certainly be disappointed once he gets there if he ever does. The thing that aggravates me is that at 27 years old a person should really know better. Human beings are human beings. Whether you're talking about Southern California, Northern New Jersey, or Western Australia, there are good people, bad people, kind people, snooty people, etc...
When did I ever say Portland or Seattle or Austin were paradise? I only said that, compared to Jersey, they will be allot better...it's kind of like what Obama said about McCain being a better president than Bush. It is most certaintly correct, as ANY of them would do a better job than Bush, as that is a very, very low bar.

Ever been to Austin? I have, and it was allot better than Jersey...granted, the heat was way to much for me. I met LITERALLY more cool people around Austin in a week than I have in Jersey in all the years since highschool. Yes, I am of the opinion that Jersey is indeed, the problem.

Quote:
So punk, he's some free advice. Life is what you make it. Once you stop blaming every other soul around you for your problems you'll be a much happier person. You act as though the posters on this forum are the scum of the earth. On the contrary-we all pretty much get along until a troll such as yourself comes along and starts ranting and raving about ideas that have no base in reality. Can you really expect people to look at you as a human being of some intelligence or at least average cognitive ability when you pigeonhole people into three absurd stereotypes?
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Matthew 7:3

"Stereotypes?" Ohh yes, like steampunk writers...take Bruce Sterling and that CRAZY poet shirt of his...ohh, wait

Quote:
This state has millions of hardworking people just trying to get along, make a living, and provide for their families. For example, I am a government worker and my fiancee is a teacher. We've studied hard, gone to school, landed jobs, and we're buying a home in a place we want to raise our children? Does that make us Guidos? Preps? Snots? I'm really quite curious.
[/quote]

Who knows? Who cares? I am just going by what I have seen living in Jersey my whole life. A life time of experience is wrong?

Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,988,281 times
Quote:
A life time of experience is wrong?
In a word? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey