Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,057 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I am new to this site but after combing through various "moving to" posts, I thought I would add my own for some more advice.

Where are you coming from? NYC

Why are you moving? Covid made us realize quarantine would have sucked less with a yard. We would like more space for our growing family.

Where will you be working? Husband will be near the NJ/NY border. I will be commuting in to Midtown East 2/3 times a week. However, I am also considering finding employment in NJ, in which case commute in to NYC not as critical, but still appreciated in order to have family who do not drive, visit.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

What is your budget? 4-500k | preferably <12k taxes

What kind of place are you looking for? Single family home 3/4bd 16-1800 sq ft

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? spouse and our 18m old daughter

Do you need/want good public schools? yes. also nursery/preschools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: We are an Afro-Latino family /, having some diversity is important to us. Close-knit, family friendly community. Some what walk-able and a nice downtown area are a plus.

So far we are considering
in Bergen County : Fair Lawn, Midland Park, Waldwick,
in Essex - Bloomfield, Nutley

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,466,082 times
You have some good choices of towns. Bloomfield is probably the most diverse, but the schools aren’t as good as the other towns. Nutley’s a nice town, but not too diverse. Midland Park and Waldwick will likely push the 500K budget to its limits. Both are nice towns, but not super diverse, although Waldwick does have a small Latinx population, many of whom live in a small section of town by the railroad tracks.

Fair Lawn is a solid choice. Very good schools, and the town has growing Latinx and African-American populations (although the African-American population is still quite small). You won’t get a mansion for 500K, but the money will go a bit further than in Midland Park or Waldwick.

None of the towns except Bloomfield has a full downtown area, but Ridgewood is a zip from Fair Lawn, Midland Park, and Waldwick, and their downtown is great. Crazy busy and parking is a nightmare, but really nice. Glen Rock also has a nice, but much smaller, downtown area.

You may want to add Rutherford to your list as well. The schools are good, prices are mostly within your budget, and they have a decent (but dry) downtown area.

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2020, 09:42 PM

4,184 posts, read 5,072,542 times
Why have you excluded Hudson County ?

Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Why have you excluded Hudson County ?
Sounds like the OP is looking for a leafy green suburban town. While Hudson County offers great urban options for those who seek that, it doesn’t have great suburban options. The only ones are Secaucus, Kearny and MAYBE North Bergen. The suburban towns in the surrounding counties blow those out of the water.

As for the OP, those are great towns. I would also add Bergenfield, Rutherford and Hasbrouck Heights to the list. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
You have some good choices of towns. Bloomfield is probably the most diverse, but the schools aren’t as good as the other towns. Nutley’s a nice town, but not too diverse. Midland Park and Waldwick will likely push the 500K budget to its limits. Both are nice towns, but not super diverse, although Waldwick does have a small Latinx population, many of whom live in a small section of town by the railroad tracks.

Fair Lawn is a solid choice. Very good schools, and the town has growing Latinx and African-American populations (although the African-American population is still quite small). You won’t get a mansion for 500K, but the money will go a bit further than in Midland Park or Waldwick.

None of the towns except Bloomfield has a full downtown area, but Ridgewood is a zip from Fair Lawn, Midland Park, and Waldwick, and their downtown is great. Crazy busy and parking is a nightmare, but really nice. Glen Rock also has a nice, but much smaller, downtown area.

You may want to add Rutherford to your list as well. The schools are good, prices are mostly within your budget, and they have a decent (but dry) downtown area.

Good luck!
thanks! any particular neighborhood in Fair Lawn? based on what I've read online the more desirable areas seem to be Radburn and Milnes, wondering if there are any others.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:24 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,466,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamonosValdez View Post
thanks! any particular neighborhood in Fair Lawn? based on what I've read online the more desirable areas seem to be Radburn and Milnes, wondering if there are any others.
The Radburn and Milnes sections are the nicest, but also the most expensive. It might be a challenge to find something decent for $500,000 in those sections.

The Forrest and Lyncrest sections are somewhere in the middle. Lyncrest Elementary is excellent, however. Forrest school is good, but not quite as good as Lyncrest. Some houses in the Lyncrest section border the Passaic River and are prone to flooding, so keep that in mind.

The Warren Point and Westmoreland sections tend to have more modest homes and are more affordable. The schools are still good, but don’t quite have the prestige of the Milnes or Radburn schools.

The town has two middle schools: Thomas Jefferson and Memorial. Thomas Jefferson, serving an overall more affluent section of the town, has the better reputation, but Memorial is still fine.

Finally, the high school is very good to excellent, depending on the year.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:23 AM

7,425 posts, read 3,567,959 times
You can't go wrong with any of the Bergen county towns you picked out or the towns that surround them. Curious how Bloomfield made the list.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:16 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,265,434 times
Bergenfield and Dumont are worth a look.
Maywood has a great little downtown but is zoned for a bad high school.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:41 PM

53 posts, read 63,413 times
Take Nutley off your list. Bloomfield is fine depending on where you are. Near brookdale is ideal. West Orange is doable but the price range you would be targeting is ~350k as taxes are higher there. But you can find what you are looking for in that range. Verona may work as well but there is less diversity. But certainly more than many other towns.

Ultimately, you are going to find that nice towns that are diverse and have an easier commute will be more expensive.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,694,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VamonosValdez View Post
Hi there

I am new to this site but after combing through various "moving to" posts, I thought I would add my own for some more advice.

Where are you coming from? NYC

Why are you moving? Covid made us realize quarantine would have sucked less with a yard. We would like more space for our growing family.

Where will you be working? Husband will be near the NJ/NY border. I will be commuting in to Midtown East 2/3 times a week. However, I am also considering finding employment in NJ, in which case commute in to NYC not as critical, but still appreciated in order to have family who do not drive, visit.

Will you buy or rent? Buy

What is your budget? 4-500k | preferably <12k taxes

What kind of place are you looking for? Single family home 3/4bd 16-1800 sq ft

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? spouse and our 18m old daughter

Do you need/want good public schools? yes. also nursery/preschools

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: We are an Afro-Latino family /, having some diversity is important to us. Close-knit, family friendly community. Some what walk-able and a nice downtown area are a plus.

So far we are considering
in Bergen County : Fair Lawn, Midland Park, Waldwick,
in Essex - Bloomfield, Nutley

thanks!
If I could add, Westfield and Montclair ,they might all so fit your needs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey