Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 07:29 AM

5 posts, read 10,112 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please give me advice on which towns to look at.
I've always loved going to NJ but I never thought of living here, until I discovered recently that property tax alone it can be almost $1,000 a month savings in property tax compared to Westchester. Not to mention more value on the house (nicer looking if you compare prices).

Me and my wife work in the bronx. About 200k annual salary.
And looking at about 550-600k house.
We have kids 6 and 4 so good schools is a must.
Using tapanzee is bonus compared to GWB. But not really a deal breaker if its a good place/house.

Which towns should i be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 07:55 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuntalo View Post
Hi,

Please give me advice on which towns to look at.
I've always loved going to NJ but I never thought of living here, until I discovered recently that property tax alone it can be almost $1,000 a month savings in property tax compared to Westchester. Not to mention more value on the house (nicer looking if you compare prices).

Me and my wife work in the bronx. About 200k annual salary.
And looking at about 550-600k house.
We have kids 6 and 4 so good schools is a must.
Using tapanzee is bonus compared to GWB. But not really a deal breaker if its a good place/house.

Which towns should i be looking at?
Re the bolded, the Tappan Zee does not touch New Jersey. It's western side is in Rockland County, New York, which lies above Bergen County, NJ, where the GWB is.

So, what I think you are saying without coming out and saying it is that you are looking for a house in the northeastern part of Bergen County, from where you can easily cross the state line and get up the Parkway to 287 to the TZ, correct? Most of those towns will have good schools, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Maybe start with Park Ridge, Old Tappan, Norwood. Washington Township or Hillsdale might work, too..

Just out of curiosity, what towns did you look at where you discovered that property tax can be almost a $1000 a month savings compared to what towns in Westchester?

Old 12-17-2020, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 10,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re the bolded, the Tappan Zee does not touch New Jersey. It's western side is in Rockland County, New York, which lies above Bergen County, NJ, where the GWB is.

Just out of curiosity, what towns did you look at where you discovered that property tax can be almost a $1000 a month savings compared to what towns in Westchester?
Thank you for the towns you mentioned!
Im aware of the tapanzee, but if driving to bronx, some places use tapanzee rather than the GWB.

As far as the taxes, i didnt right down the towns but i see places ive seen in NJ has 700-1100 max on tax monthly.
Westchester 1,200 is the minimum upto 20k yearly

Old 12-17-2020, 11:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,258,565 times
Mahwah sits on 17/287 and has relatively low property taxes for the region.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuntalo View Post
Thank you for the towns you mentioned!
Im aware of the tapanzee, but if driving to bronx, some places use tapanzee rather than the GWB.

As far as the taxes, i didnt right down the towns but i see places ive seen in NJ has 700-1100 max on tax monthly.
Westchester 1,200 is the minimum upto 20k yearly
No, there are a lot of places in NJ that are much more than 700-1100 a month. Not too many places in NJ under $12K. Many above $15K.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:57 PM

10,658 posts, read 7,161,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, there are a lot of places in NJ that are much more than 700-1100 a month. Not too many places in NJ under $12K. Many above $15K.
Isnt NJ the most expensive in the country?

Old 12-17-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Isnt NJ the most expensive in the country?
In high taxes? Overall, yes, I think. But the OP is coming from Westchester County, some areas of which have higher property tax than much of NJ. You can't go by state, because obviously, taxes aren't going to be comparable between downstate and upstate NY.

But taxes in a suburban setting within commuting distance of the city are going to be high no matter where you are.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:57 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,688,863 times
If you and your wife are driving into the Bronx and think you will be doing so for many years to come, take a look at Paramus. 600k won't go as far as some other nearby towns but the taxes are so much lower that you could probably increase your budget a bit.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:02 PM

45 posts, read 41,383 times
I fully enjoy seeing it still referred to as the Tappen Zee.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:03 PM

Tappan Zee it will always be to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new bridge. I paid attention to the progress of the construction. But it's still the Tappan Zee, a nod to the original people of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey