Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 06:12 AM

214 posts, read 350,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhsehunter View Post
Thank you for the detailed reply. How long is your commute from long valley to NYC. Do you take Bus or Train?
I take the bus from Lakeland Rockaway mall (See the mid town bus schedule, which doesnt go to Port Authority). 6:45 bus reaches 7th ave at 7:50, 6:30 bus reaches as 7:30. But I get down at Madison/51st which takes another 10 min or so, because of the traffic in Midtown. You can check the full schedule here: http://www.lakelandbus.com/wp-conten...Downtown-7.pdf Its an express bus with no stop after Rockaway mall. There are lots of other buses too which goes to Port Authority, But I try to take the Madison Ave bus to avoid public transport and changeover as much as possible in the morning. Evening you have to take the bus from Port Authority.

Also, when I said you can get your dream/forever house in the exurbs, these are good example of the value you can get (they are sold already)
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...9506360_zpid/?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...52406702_zpid/

Last edited by kosb; 01-08-2021 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 05:11 PM

17 posts, read 14,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
I would look into Scotch Plains and Metuchen.

Two great areas, with relatively reasonable real estate and you have NJ transit with about a 45 minute commute to Penn Station.
Metuchen would be a minimum of 800k for what the OP asks for. Forget the big lot. Taxes 18k to 21k.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobubbleshere View Post
Metuchen would be a minimum of 800k for what the OP asks for. Forget the big lot. Taxes 18k to 21k.
Yes that would be the price over there. Around here you can score a 4500 sq ft Toll Brother built house with matured landscaping and in ground pool with a multi level deck and finished basement for 739k.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosb View Post
Yes that would be the price over there. Around here you can score a 4500 sq ft Toll Brother built house with matured landscaping and in ground pool with a multi level deck and finished basement for 739k.
The train makes up for the difference. If I worked in Manhattan I would prefer to relax on the bus however I think the train offers some flexibility for those that work odd hours.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobubbleshere View Post
The train makes up for the difference. If I worked in Manhattan I would prefer to relax on the bus however I think the train offers some flexibility for those that work odd hours.
I took trains, buses and drove over my years working in Manhattan, and your statement perplexes me. I think the train is far more relaxing than the bus. Bus gets stuck in traffic. Trains break down at times, but there are more traffic issues on the roads than train issues. Trains are more comfortable, and the views out the windows are better.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I took trains, buses and drove over my years working in Manhattan, and your statement perplexes me. I think the train is far more relaxing than the bus. Bus gets stuck in traffic. Trains break down at times, but there are more traffic issues on the roads than train issues. Trains are more comfortable, and the views out the windows are better.
Its true.. in the bus, which they switch off the lights inside you can have a sound sleep for the entire duration with a guaranteed seat. In trains, there would be some level of anxiety that you would miss the station and you wont be able to sleep with constant barrage of people coming in and getting down.. especially if you take the middle seat or the side one. The double deckers are better with two seats. And for the trains, if you are trying to enter New York Penn Station, it invariably stops there during rush hour for about 7-10 min.. where Amtrack is given priority for everything. PATH doesn't have that problem, so downtown commute is pretty much streamlined, if you are okay standing the whole 25 min from Newark, unless you have the luck of the draw and managed to get a seat. Hoboken to WTC is better and more civil. Buses to midtown have dedicated lanes for the entire stretch before Lincoln tunnel, that rarely gets stuck.. may be once in 2 months. So as long as the buses can come fast to this dedicated lane, the commute is quite streamlined. But buses being not that open.. smells and feels much worse than train... which feels more airy.. especially the double decker ones which runs from Trenton, Hamilton, Princeton Jct and express from there.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What’s perplexing about a guaranteed seat and not having to race a mob down a narrow platform staircase on a daily basis?
I’m sure this preference changes drastically by ones personal schedule and I can see advantages of trains over buses. What I can’t see is being perplexed that someone might personally prefer the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey