Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 02:51 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Keep looking, you still have time. My ex and I got priced out of beachfront years ago (we used to rent with a big group but eventually it was just us) but we found an awesome bayfront place that was cheaper than some of the places that were 2-3 blocks from the beach. Not sure if that's changed since then, but most people want to be as close to the beach as possible. We had an 8 block walk to the beach, which several of our out of shape guests complained about, but we didn't mind it and we ended up falling in love with the bay.

I do think prices will be higher this year though as I think more people are going to vacation close to home.
we have a requirement that severely limits availability for us. we want a house with a pool. even though we typically try to be close to the beach, we usually dont go to the beach more than a couple of times.

i think we will have to contact realtors instead of online. it seems like a lot of owners still like to use realtors.

this is for 1 week. $16,500 is a lot and i dont really want to pay it. im thinking maybe i should expand my search from beach haven if nothing comes up that reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 06:13 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we have a requirement that severely limits availability for us. we want a house with a pool. even though we typically try to be close to the beach, we usually dont go to the beach more than a couple of times.

i think we will have to contact realtors instead of online. it seems like a lot of owners still like to use realtors.

this is for 1 week. $16,500 is a lot and i dont really want to pay it. im thinking maybe i should expand my search from beach haven if nothing comes up that reasonable.
For one week?? That’s nuts lol. We paid I think $10,000 for the bayfront place from June through Labor Day lol. We ended up buying a small condo on the bay. But when we broke up, I found the apartment I spent the next 18 years I , on the boardwalk for $650 a month. Was $815 when I moved out! My niece is still upset that I gave it up.

Yes I can see having a pool would narrow it considerably. They’re pretty rare in OC except for the really rich houses. Most absent homeowners don’t want to deal with the maintenance, possibly liability concerns if renting as well. I find it ludicrous that people pay that much for a week

I can’t so am for Beach Haven but in OC most people rent through realtors. It’s fun, make a day of it. We used to come down in early spring, stop at Berger, and go look at places.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-06-2021 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I think Captain is looking for the entire summer or half the season? $16,500 sounds like a lot for a week, lol. If you wait too long the homeowner will start renting weeks then you have very few places that have a place available for the season.
LOL, no, I wasn't specifically addressing his situation. Just a general remark.

Old 02-06-2021, 08:16 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, no, I wasn't specifically addressing his situation. Just a general remark.
You were right though, it was for a week!

Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
We’ll be in Ocean City again this year. Missed out on the house we really wanted but got a good alternative.

We usually stay in OC. In 2020 we changed it up by going to the OBX. Looking forward to going back to OC.

Old 02-06-2021, 11:34 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
Why don't they extend the njtransit coast line to service the jersey shore? This would relieve pressure from traffic on GSP during the summer months.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
For one week?? That’s nuts lol. We paid I think $10,000 for the bayfront place from June through Labor Day lol. We ended up buying a small condo on the bay. But when we broke up, I found the apartment I spent the next 18 years I , on the boardwalk for $650 a month. Was $815 when I moved out! My niece is still upset that I gave it up.

Yes I can see having a pool would narrow it considerably. They’re pretty rare in OC except for the really rich houses. Most absent homeowners don’t want to deal with the maintenance, possibly liability concerns if renting as well. I find it ludicrous that people pay that much for a week

I can’t so am for Beach Haven but in OC most people rent through realtors. It’s fun, make a day of it. We used to come down in early spring, stop at Berger, and go look at places.
i think im paying fair market rates. the $10,500 works out to $3,500 per family ($500/night). that seems like a good deal considering all we get. it also works out to be a relatively inexpensive vacation for us since there is no flight and we can do breakfast and lunch in the house vs a hotel where all meals are restaurant meals.

the pools have generally been significantly smaller than a standard home pool (maybe 20 feet long or so) but that is plenty for our use. i also like it to be furnished with clean and up to date furnishings, i want to feel like im in a 2021 first home not a 1980 2nd home.

here is the house thats on vrbo that is almost exactly the same as what we stayed in last year

https://www.vrbo.com/4793535ha?adult...unitId=5782629

Old 02-07-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Why don't they extend the njtransit coast line to service the jersey shore? This would relieve pressure from traffic on GSP during the summer months.
the traffic isnt so bad, especially since they added a lane to the GSP. i dont think the towns necessarily want that.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
We’ll be in Ocean City again this year. Missed out on the house we really wanted but got a good alternative.

We usually stay in OC. In 2020 we changed it up by going to the OBX. Looking forward to going back to OC.
I used to see this on bumper stickers and it perplexed me for a while. "OBX" was shorthand for the Outerbridge Crossing. I used to wonder why people wanted to let others know that they had driven from Staten Island to Perth Amboy

Old 02-07-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
It DOES, but not past Bay Head.

But "they" don't have the money for such a project, and the revenue would not likely be sufficient to make it worthwhile. Think of all the property they'd have to buy just for the right-of-way. It would be great if it was extended further, though, and people actually used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey