Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Clifton, Dunnellen, Bound Brook.

I know they have significant Latino populations, not sure of nationality.

For language, just speak at home. Speak as little English in the home as possible, that's how you get it done. Being bi-lingual is invaluable.

It'll be worth it.
Thank you! Yes I speak with him in Spanish but my husband doesn't, they'll both be learning from me lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 06:51 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,636,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Not Wayne, I can tell you that. While Wayne is becoming more diverse, there is still some ways to go. Another poster mentioned Bergenfield, which I think is a good option. Schools are pretty good, and it is incredibly diverse. I kinda hate where Bergenfield is located geographically, because no highways make driving in the area cumbersome. The main roads are always heavily congested.

Further out west, there are very few places with large latino populations and reputable schools. Dover has a very large latino population, but the schools are not good and it has a reputation for high crime rates. But nearby, towns like Randolph, Rockaway Twp., and Denville are very nice, and might be attractive to you.

Elsewhere in the Bergen/Passaic area, Clifton is a large and diverse town, but the taxes are high and the schools aren't great. Fair Lawn is somewhat diverse and has great schools, but you might be priced out of anything but the smallest Cape Cods.

Wayne is 13% Latino. Fair Lawn is 14% but the houses are generally closer together than what you’ll find in Wayne. That’s about as Latino as you’re going to find without sacrificing schools. Bergenfield may be very diverse but their schools are pretty average.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:59 PM

22 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleucherie View Post
Hello! Looking for some suggestions of places to look into to buy a house. We are looking to move at year end but we want to start zeroing in on the towns we want to focus on. Thanks!

Where are you coming from? North Bergen, NJ
Why are you moving? First time home buyers, want to have more space*
Where will you be working? If NYC, what part of NYC? Husband will be working remotely for the foreseeable future as the NYC office closed down. We have family in NYC (Bronx/LES) so we don't want to drive more than 2 hours to get to these areas.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget? Max 450K
What kind of place are you looking for? Looking for a 2 story single family house with a min of 4 BR, 2 1/2 Bath, car garage, back yard

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Husband and 15 month old, will be getting a dog after the move
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes we will do public schools and would like it if there was some diversity in the school. We are Latin so our son will be bilingual, if the school has some sort of language immersion program that is a bonus but not a must have.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in (examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Would want to be in an area where there are other families with other young children, safe, we don't want the houses to be on top of each other, it has some walkability to area activities but don't mind driving to places

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

1. Good public schools
2. Diverse
3. Outdoor Activities
I would suggest you expand your search beyond Bergen County. I’ve been living in NB since 2013, originally from Washington Heights. I have the same max budget as you for a home and I quickly realized that 450k didn’t get me anything good in Bergen County. Unless you guys are handy, all you will find for that budget is homes that need a lot of work. I expanded my search and found a home in Union County, some other areas I search that met a 450k budget was Essex County.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
It's almost a given when someone says where to live and people in this forum always say Bergen. Well, these days unless you have $700k pre-approved mortgage. You're not gonna get anything decent in Bergen.

Move south and you'll find something decent for $450k, if you find anything in North Bergen for $450k it's an attached home or old condo. Almost all new condos built in Bergen are over $600k

Old 03-28-2021, 05:43 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's almost a given when someone says where to live and people in this forum always say Bergen. Well, these days unless you have $700k pre-approved mortgage. You're not gonna get anything decent in Bergen.

Move south and you'll find something decent for $450k, if you find anything in North Bergen for $450k it's an attached home or old condo. Almost all new condos built in Bergen are over $600k
North Bergen is a town in Hudson County.

Unless you mean northern Bergen County, then you are correct.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

After searching for 6 months, I found something “decent” at that price point in Bergen County. Decent by my standards at least. Could I have gotten more house elsewhere? Sure. And I certainly considered it, but I’m pretty happy with the house I ended up with and the town I’ll soon be living in.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:48 PM

22 posts, read 20,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
After searching for 6 months, I found something “decent” at that price point in Bergen County. Decent by my standards at least. Could I have gotten more house elsewhere? Sure. And I certainly considered it, but I’m pretty happy with the house I ended up with and the town I’ll soon be living in.
Interested to know, was this pre covid? I looked for 3 months in Bergen County, found one in Emerson back in October. Placed offer at selling price 450k, someone ended up buying for 50k over. Saw a home in Westwood, by the end of the showing someone had placed an offer over asking after a virtual tour. This housing market has been nuts.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:02 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFifthLetter175 View Post
Interested to know, was this pre covid? I looked for 3 months in Bergen County, found one in Emerson back in October. Placed offer at selling price 450k, someone ended up buying for 50k over. Saw a home in Westwood, by the end of the showing someone had placed an offer over asking after a virtual tour. This housing market has been nuts.
Do what I did.

Look for something that needs $50,000 in renovations. Instead of $50,000 extra in mortgage spending that might become lost value when this market crashes, you'll put $50,000 in improvements that you designed. Win win situation as far as I am concerned!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-28-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFifthLetter175 View Post

No, this was last month. I had to offer above asking also. I probably paid 10% more than I would’ve just 2 years ago. I did get a really great rate before they started to creep back up recently, so at least there’s some silver lining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey