Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Brooklyn and are looking to buy a home in New Jersey along the midtown direct train line. I am very anxious about the process with all this news of the market having gone bonkers. However, we currently have a toddler and another one on the way, so I fear even more delaying the process.

Our max budget is 500,000, but we hope to stay between 425-475, and we are able to put 20% down. We have narrowed down our potential options to Maplewood, West Orange, and Bloomfield. I have done a lot of research and developed perceptions of each town, and am hoping for some guidance to help confirm or correct those perceptions and help me better understand what's in reach and best for my family right now!

MAPLEWOOD - This town looks to be a stretch for us within our budget. It looks as if inventory is especially low and I understood that multiple offers are the norm here even pre-covid. Is it also true that it's common in this town for sellers to price the listing below what it's worth to attract bidding wars?

WEST ORANGE - It looks like we could get a bit more for our money here. We would be most interested in the Gregory section, I think. Is there much in that part of town that would be within budget? How do the school sitricts compare between West Orange and Maplewood? They look somewhat on par to me, but I am not confident that's correct.

BLOOMFIELD - Based on the volume of homes for sale and the number within our budget Bloomfield looks to be the most within reach. However, it looks like the taxes might be especially high here? (I know they are high throughout Jersey!) It also looks like the schools might be a bit below the other two? I was also surprised from perusing listings that the homes nearest the train station are some of the more affordable. Do you know why?

And one last question! What is the average cost of daycare in Essex county? One reason I'm itching to move is the exorbitantly high cost of childcare here.

Any guidance is much appreciated! Looking to buy in these times is a daunting process.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 08:45 PM

728 posts, read 1,969,705 times
I live in West Orange and am familiar with the other 2 towns. All of them have high taxes and will have bidding wars on houses. In terms of schools I would think Maplewood would be a little better than West Orange and West Orange would be better than Bloomfield.

Maplewood is the best of the 3 in my opinion. However, with a 500k budget I would not waste your time.

West Orange is nicer than Bloomfield overall (Brookdale part is great). The area of West Orange you mentioned is Gregory which is pretty expensive. You probably could find something there for 500k but I would recommend opening to other parts of town.

Regarding Bloomfield, the areas closest to the train are not the nice areas, which is why it is cheaper. The northern part of Bloomfield on the Montclair/Nutley/Clifton border is the best part.

In terms of daycare we are starting next month, part time. The place we are using in West Orange is 400 a week full time for infant care. That seemed to be about the going rate.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:58 AM

962 posts, read 543,557 times
West Orange and Bloomfield have really high taxes compared to the quality of the schools. I would avoid both towns to be honest. Other poster provided good information.

Your price range really keeps it tight. I would try looking further out on these NJ Transit lines. Where specifically do you two work? Commuting via bus is often easier and more convenient than train.

Last edited by midnight_thunder; 04-15-2021 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 04-15-2021, 09:06 AM

981 posts, read 736,300 times
Will let others weigh in on town specifics, but if Maplewood is your ideal town then you should include South Orange as well as they share a school system and border each other. The handful of times I've been through that area, one town kinda "flows" into the other and they are quite similar (and usually cross-shopped).

Old 04-15-2021, 09:10 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,697,070 times
Lived in Bloomfield for many years and watched its decline. Taxes are high, school system lacking. Moved to area in Morris county, better quality of life. Check out areas like Parsippany, Whippany. Train station in Morristown. Finally left NJ for a rural area away from it all. Children left and swore never to return and now live in various states.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:01 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,105,911 times
I would take a drive through each of these as they are very different. Taxes in Essex County are very high and its another conversation for why they are so high.

I lived in Essex County for 7 years and never felt like it was 'home'. There's a lot of diversity and that was probably the issue why I never felt like it was home. Most of the white people are Italian (Sopranos is filmed there), 40% of population is African American (Newark + Surrounding), 20% Spanish, and pockets of Jews and Asians. A lot of ethnic groups, but for a normal American who isn't ethnic it just wasn't home.

Bloomfield, West Orange and Maplewood are all very expensive to live and very different. So I would spend a weekend driving through these areas to see if it fits what you're looking for.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,724,062 times
Can you go further out? New providence ,Springfield, Westfield?

Old 04-15-2021, 12:14 PM

4,037 posts, read 3,676,127 times
Another option is considering towns without direct trains to NYC and/or towns with direct bus service to midtown through Port Authority. You’ll get better town options at the price point you’re looking at, and I can’t imagine the commute being that much longer.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 4,440 times
A few respondents have asked if I could go further out. My husband and I both work in lower Manhattan and with two young children there's a limit to how far we can live from our jobs. I am only considering towns with a train station, and the closer the house to the train station, the better. I hope it's possible to find what we need within our budget.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM

728 posts, read 1,969,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful_homeowner View Post
A few respondents have asked if I could go further out. My husband and I both work in lower Manhattan and with two young children there's a limit to how far we can live from our jobs. I am only considering towns with a train station, and the closer the house to the train station, the better. I hope it's possible to find what we need within our budget.
Just an FYI West Orange does not have a train station but has jitney services connecting it to train stations. What I think makes the Gregory section so desirable is that it’s so close to the train that it’s like living in a town with a train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey