Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 02:22 AM

17 posts, read 37,031 times

Advertisements

We currently live in south brooklyn and are considering move to NJ. I currently work in Jersey city but plan on looking for a new job once covid is over and I foresee that I will be somewhere in Manhattan and not wfh permanently.
My husband works in south brooklyn and have zero option to wfh. I m used to a door to door commute of 1 hr but it seems to me it’s rare to get that in NJ. (And google estimated time is wrong). My husband’s commute however is only 15 mins now.

I heard NJ transit is horrible. I know it’s been over a year since Most people commuted but realistic what does the commute look like. I was originally thinking of moving out for better school and cheaper housing but prices have been insane in commuter towns so just wondering if it’s really worth it for longer commute.

I m looking mainly at Westfield, Rutherford and Metuchen. Can someone weigh in on how bad are daily commute and what should I expect most of the time? Does Nj transit break down often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 04:54 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccthealias View Post
We currently live in south brooklyn and are considering move to NJ. I currently work in Jersey city but plan on looking for a new job once covid is over and I foresee that I will be somewhere in Manhattan and not wfh permanently.
My husband works in south brooklyn and have zero option to wfh. I m used to a door to door commute of 1 hr but it seems to me it’s rare to get that in NJ. (And google estimated time is wrong). My husband’s commute however is only 15 mins now.

I heard NJ transit is horrible. I know it’s been over a year since Most people commuted but realistic what does the commute look like. I was originally thinking of moving out for better school and cheaper housing but prices have been insane in commuter towns so just wondering if it’s really worth it for longer commute.

I m looking mainly at Westfield, Rutherford and Metuchen. Can someone weigh in on how bad are daily commute and what should I expect most of the time? Does Nj transit break down often?
I did it for almost 40 years. The trains are on time most of the time. They don't "break down often". What does happen is that the tunnels going into Penn NY do not have the capacity to manage train traffic if one goes down; for example if a train does break down or there is a problem with the signal system in one of them.

If the tunnels are OK, 20 trains per hour from NJ can get in and out of Penn. If one tunnel is down, that number goes down to six because now one tunnel is handling the traffic in both directions.

The tunnels need replacement, as we all know.

Now, some train lines do not go to NY Penn, they go to Hoboken, where they connect with PATH. Other commuters get off their trains at Penn Station Newark and connect with PATH there. Those are the best commutes for lower Manhattan.

The Brooklyn commute will always be longer from NJ. A casual glance at a map will tell you that. The best bet would be to focus on commuting to WTC, where you can pick up the subway at the hub there. That same commute would likely be best for J.C. (depending on WHERE in J.C., of course).

Your issue down the road will be if you have to work in Midtown or higher and the spouse in Brooklyn.

An hour commute is unlikely and not really realistic, but that will all depend on your budget and what type of environment your are looking for. Big house and yard further out, longer commute, obviously. Older, closer-in burbs or urban, shorter commute.

I don't know how the trains run on the other two lines/towns you mentioned, but the Bergen County line runs well, and since Rutherford is the last town stop on that line, that's a fairly fast commute to Hoboken. 20-25 minutes, IIRC. Then from there the Light Rail or PATH to J.C. or PATH to WTC.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 866,725 times
My wife commutes to NYC every day by NJT bus. (We live in the Westfield area). She once took the train and had issues with late trains at least once per week (mostly just minor 5-10 min delays). But got tired of having to tell her boss she might be 5-10 min late at least once per week, so she switched to taking the bus. She loves the bus. It is always on time and only broke down once in the last 3 years taking it.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,489,187 times
They need to make Nj transit more efficient

Time is money!

Old 03-13-2021, 01:29 PM

There are also issues like the Portal Bridge, which is finally getting funding to be fixed.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:35 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,489,187 times
but it will take 10 years to fix

Old 03-13-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
but it will take 10 years to fix
Yeah, the entire Gateway Project probably, but the sooner it can get started, the better, and the Portal Bridge is the first part.

It won't be fixed. It is being replaced. Supposed to be bid in the Spring, construction starts in the fall. We shall see.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:48 PM

72 posts, read 72,583 times
The commute will grind you down very quickly. Too much volume, zero patience makes for a inhumane experience.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:53 PM

12,192 posts, read 8,062,626 times
I don't find NJ's transit system all that bad. Expensive? Yeah. Bad? No.

I trust NJ for than MBTA or MTA... add in PATH, yes 110%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey