Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 07:15 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times

Advertisements

Montclair. Englewood Cliffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 08:45 AM

968 posts, read 727,107 times
Well, beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, so what one may think of as beautiful someone else may think is garish. For me:

- Upper Montclair & Ridgewood (west/north of downtown) for gorgeous, well preserved older housing stock
- Spring Lake & Sea Girt for what my house would look like if I could afford to live there
- Hudson & Bloomfield streets in Hoboken for postcard-perfect brownstones on tree-lined streets

I'm just not into most of the 5K+ square castles behind an iron gate that you find further out, which is purely a personal preference. Although someone mentioned Englewood Cliffs which I did find to be quite nice, and from what I have heard I would also probably like Rumson, but have not been there before.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Hmm. So you want to see beautiful houses in NJ, eh? Just bear in mind that most of the people with the beautiful houses also have beautiful alarm systems.

Call me cynical.

But, I suggest driving Navesink River Road.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:00 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. So you want to see beautiful houses in NJ, eh? Just bear in mind that most of the people with the beautiful houses also have beautiful alarm systems.

Call me cynical.

There is a French Proventil for sale along there I hear.(j/k)

Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
LOL, I never thought of someone using the C-D forums as a suggestion of where to look for places to rob. Anyway, you don't want the beautiful houses for that. You want the big old but worn ones, where the garage is so full of stuff they don't know what's in it and can't close it. You go in, dig through until you find an old motorcycle or two, and cart it away. By the time they realize it's gone they'll be moving to a retirement home.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 AM

332 posts, read 522,955 times
Never thought of Englewood Cliffs as particularly nice, mostly oversized new builds on undersized lots (or pre-teardown ranches). Englewood itself has a lot of beautiful old houses on the east hill.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 1,844,219 times
Quote:

Call me cynical.

Good one!

Old 10-05-2021, 07:22 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Never thought of Englewood Cliffs as particularly nice, mostly oversized new builds on undersized lots (or pre-teardown ranches). Englewood itself has a lot of beautiful old houses on the east hill.

Maybe I’m confusing the two

Old 10-11-2021, 02:07 PM

332 posts, read 522,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Maybe I’m confusing the two
It's actually sort of neat to look at google maps satellite image. You can totally see the different zoning between EC vs Tenafly/Englewood/Alpine. You can basically put a house on 1/2 acre in EC that they wouldn't allow on an acre in Tenafly or Englewood.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:32 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Well, beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, so what one may think of as beautiful someone else may think is garish. For me:

- Upper Montclair & Ridgewood (west/north of downtown) for gorgeous, well preserved older housing stock
- Spring Lake & Sea Girt for what my house would look like if I could afford to live there
- Hudson & Bloomfield streets in Hoboken for postcard-perfect brownstones on tree-lined streets

I'm just not into most of the 5K+ square castles behind an iron gate that you find further out, which is purely a personal preference. Although someone mentioned Englewood Cliffs which I did find to be quite nice, and from what I have heard I would also probably like Rumson, but have not been there before.
I'm with you. Ridgewood has some beautiful older homes built back when style mattered. Big boxes, or worse yet, big garages with houses sort of attached as an afterthought, look tawdry.

Plus you get established trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey