Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 07:58 AM

860 posts, read 1,340,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Water sources can vary greatly in New Jersey depending upon where you live. I grew up with great-tasting water from artesian wells in NW Bergen County. The water where I am in Monmouth County is OK, but not as good. I believe it's from a reservoir. When I lived in Fair Lawn, the water often came out with a brownish tinge. They told us it was fine, but I bought big jugs of water to drink when I lived there.
Good thing you did, considering that the Fair Lawn water supply from at least one well field is a superfund site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 11:05 AM

26 posts, read 15,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Kristi

How old is the home, does it have copper piping? Very strange you have brown water when the neighbors do not. You may want to add a plumber to your list to call if the water company is of no help.

Please let us know of the outcome to this mystery.

Hope you have a Happy New Year,

Tom

thanks Tom. Happy New Year to you too!

The house was built in 1998 so it's not that old. The hot water heating system was replaced, but I'm not sure when that was installed.

I'm going down there this week so I'll grab a water sample and try to get to the bottom of this mystery and find out whether the issues I'm having are related to the water softener, or if it's the water. I'll let you know.

Old 01-01-2022, 11:45 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Good thing you did, considering that the Fair Lawn water supply from at least one well field is a superfund site.
Hahaha, didn't know that. But I did know that the Passaic River runs along one town border, and back in the 1960s when I was a Girl Scout, we had "Clean Up The Passaic" bumper stickers because it was listed as one of the ten dirtiest rivers in the USA. There are articles about the pollution of the Passaic going back to the 19th century.

I only lived there three years, from 1983 to 1986, but my sister lived there for a while and used to go to my mother's house in Midland Park to fill up jugs for drinking water.

Old 01-01-2022, 12:13 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,124,387 times
We have a water cooler that we use for drinking water and cooking. Aside from the water being hard (and awful) the water company uses chloramines to treat the water. Only a reverse osmosis filter will make the water drinkable.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:31 PM

401 posts, read 428,435 times
Kristi

If you have not done already you may want to join Nextdoor .com and Facebook for the new house. You can get an idea if anyone has similar problems and who can help via contractor recommendations. I found the local information is great especially moving into a town you are not familiar with. After living in the same home for 28 years and knowing what contractors to call and not , moving to our new place 2 hours away was very interesting to say the least.

Tom

Old 01-03-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
We have a water cooler that we use for drinking water and cooking. Aside from the water being hard (and awful) the water company uses chloramines to treat the water. Only a reverse osmosis filter will make the water drinkable.
I'm looking into whole house RO water systems now. I may have to get one.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Kristi

If you have not done already you may want to join Nextdoor .com and Facebook for the new house. You can get an idea if anyone has similar problems and who can help via contractor recommendations. I found the local information is great especially moving into a town you are not familiar with. After living in the same home for 28 years and knowing what contractors to call and not , moving to our new place 2 hours away was very interesting to say the least.

Tom
Holy crapola.. I signed up at Nextdoor. I'm not the only one having water issues. Most of them use bottled water to drink and cook with. Some have whole house filters. They were talking about a cancer cluster in a nearby town. Many were complaining of brown water occurring randomly and not from clearing out the hydrants which they do occasionally. Many have said the water tasted terrible and were advised to call the water utility who told them there was no problem with the water.

What the hell did I get myself into? I don't even want to live there at this point.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM

401 posts, read 428,435 times
Kristi,

Wow I was hoping for positive feedback from the community not negative!!

So way back to my original post…. look into a reverse osmosis filter system for drinking and cooking water.

Hoping you get positive news when you talk to water company and contractors.

Tom

Old 01-03-2022, 03:05 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMoore View Post
The water was only brown after we turned off the softener, and I can't think of any reason why that would happen.
Corrosion in the bypass pipe. It's somewhat disturbing that there would be so much in a very short pipe; you wouldn't expect that with hard water. But if the bypass had never been used for some years, it's possible.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Corrosion in the bypass pipe. It's somewhat disturbing that there would be so much in a very short pipe; you wouldn't expect that with hard water. But if the bypass had never been used for some years, it's possible.
The push in bypass valve was extremely hard to push in. My husband had to use a hammer to push it in so I can only assume it was never used before. I couldn't even believe the amount of brown water that came out and it lasted so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey