Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 AM

19,144 posts, read 25,360,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cci1492 View Post
NJ isn't much cheaper than NJ
Who could possibly argue with that statement?

Old 01-17-2022, 08:35 AM

162 posts, read 70,721 times
Quote:
NJ isn't much cheaper than NJ, same type of political operators running these states. Consider leaving the north east all together for a different better run state.
I did not think of that to be honest. I do want to avoid another very liberal city/state. I’ve also been eyeing North Carolina/Georgia but only considered New Jersey since I could remote work.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2022, 08:44 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
I did not think of that to be honest. I do want to avoid another very liberal city/state. I’ve also been eyeing North Carolina/Georgia but only considered New Jersey since I could remote work.

Thanks.
Despite its reputation, there are plenty of conservatives in this state, and they are represented heavily on this forum. The state does lean Democrat more than Republican in our governors, but a Republican gets in regularly.

It doesn't matter, though, because as far back as I've been paying attention, they ALL pretty much sucked regardless of party. The only one I really ever thought much of was Donald DiFrancesco, who was Acting Governor for a time after Christie Whitman went prancing off to head up the EPA.

But bear in mind that the current POTUS only got 60% of the NJ vote.

People live in NJ for reasons other than the political climate.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:04 AM

11 posts, read 6,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Who could possibly argue with that statement?
LOL I made it bullet proof! Fixed it!

Old 01-17-2022, 09:29 AM

275 posts, read 214,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Despite its reputation, there are plenty of conservatives in this state, and they are represented heavily on this forum. The state does lean Democrat more than Republican in our governors, but a Republican gets in regularly.

It doesn't matter, though, because as far back as I've been paying attention, they ALL pretty much sucked regardless of party. The only one I really ever thought much of was Donald DiFrancesco, who was Acting Governor for a time after Christie Whitman went prancing off to head up the EPA.

But bear in mind that the current POTUS only got 60% of the NJ vote.

People live in NJ for reasons other than the political climate.
If we were in 2016 and/or prior years, I would agree with you. However, the 2016 elections and the events that have occured since then have galvanized the State now more than ever. Central New Jersey's conservative population have either moved out or died, thus being replaced by NY or urban transplants looking for housing and commute alternatives, hence OP, which has change the voting make up of the State; and concidently where the concetration of the population is located. I could be wrong, of course, but I think we will not see a Conservative or Republican Governor in a long time if ever........no matter how ugly things get in our State. We have lost the perspective unfortunately.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:54 AM

EdGuitar, I think what you wrote is the model for the nation. It will take time, most likely decades, but eventually the entire country will be divorced from the concept of natural law, self governed by a government with limited and enumerated powers granted to them by the consent of the governed. We're living at the tail end of a great experiment in an idea people have been kicking around since the time of the Stoics.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:54 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
Here's one off Route 9 in Howell for less than 2k.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/a...420530741.html
That's a great location. A few blocks from my house. Close to shopping and the express bus, great schools, beautiful area. I'd make sure it was legit. It's presently for sale on zillow for $375K. Doesn't sound right.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:17 AM

275 posts, read 214,357 times
Quote:
EdGuitar, I think what you wrote is the model for the nation. It will take time, most likely decades, but eventually the entire country will be divorced from the concept of natural law, self governed by a government with limited and enumerated powers granted to them by the consent of the governed. We're living at the tail end of a great experiment in an idea people have been kicking around since the time of the Stoics.
I am completely with you! Having scaped, myself, from a Communist country 30 plus years ago, I can say that the similaries that I experienced in my home country during my youth and current experiences are uncanny. The only difference is that the methods being deployed in the US are extremely sophisticated; and the fervor displayed for being on the early stages is abysmal. Since our memory is short lived, I'm afraid that we, as people, are going to have to live through it, and pray that we come out on the right side of history.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:50 AM

Same, I was brought here in 1966 at the age of 5 from a similar situation. As imperfect as our form of government is, it has brought more prosperity and security to its citizens than any other tried. Maybe at some future date it will be tried again in some other place. But they'll have to figure out how to overcome the dilemma that is all democracies have, by their very nature, the potential to destroy themselves. Eventually liberty itself is used against the state to destroy the state and build one that's less free. Oh well, bigger problems than by small brain can ever solve!

To the OP, all the best to you. I cannot imagine being a young father trying to raise a family today! My wife and I have been living in Oradell NJ for 28 years. We raised our kids here. It's a great town in Bergen county NJ. I think you'll be happy in any of the small towns in Bergen County (young family with kids, you're perfect for our town). The schools are fine and the people are nice. Work hard, save your money and it will happen. We used to get the same comments when we were young from older people "don't know how you young people are going to do it". But you stick to your guns and you'll get it done. Don't listen to anyone that tries to talk you out of doing what's right for you. Get your family out of that dangerous place! Cheers!

Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM

162 posts, read 70,721 times
Quote:
Same, I was brought here in 1966 at the age of 5 from a similar situation. As imperfect as our form of government is, it has brought more prosperity and security to its citizens than any other tried. Maybe at some future date it will be tried again in some other place. But they'll have to figure out how to overcome the dilemma that is all democracies have, by their very nature, the potential to destroy themselves. Eventually liberty itself is used against the state to destroy the state and build one that's less free. Oh well, bigger problems than by small brain can ever solve!

To the OP, all the best to you. I cannot imagine being a young father trying to raise a family today! My wife and I have been living in Oradell NJ for 28 years. We raised our kids here. It's a great town in Bergen county NJ. I think you'll be happy in any of the small towns in Bergen County (young family with kids, you're perfect for our town). The schools are fine and the people are nice. Work hard, save your money and it will happen. We used to get the same comments when we were young from older people "don't know how you young people are going to do it". But you stick to your guns and you'll get it done. Don't listen to anyone that tries to talk you out of doing what's right for you. Get your family out of that dangerous place! Cheers!
Young Mom*, lol. I genuinely appreciate your response. I will definitely have to do some research. Between work/school, it’s been difficult but I want to set a better example for my children considering our current environment glorifies behavior that should be condemned.

I’ve constantly felt out of place here. I’m not liberal (because I’m Black, somehow I’m expected to be) but I respect everyone’s beliefs/choices. However when those said beliefs/choices has an overall detrimental effect on the same groups it was meant to help - it becomes hard to just sit back and watch the madness ensue.

I LOVE our neighbors, I just HATE the neighborhood and what it’s become. Overall there’s a “well if it doesn’t affect me, I don’t care” attitude and I can’t live like that.

I’ve managed to save $40K w/ hopes to use that to “start new”, excluding the cost of rent (new lease). Now, it seems I will have to recalculate as the $2K max limits possibilities. Could I afford more? Yes. But ideally, I would prefer to own rather than rent if I’m paying over that.

I assumed further out in NJ - far from NYC would be cheaper but I’m being told statewide NJ is just as expensive as NYC.

I’m not going to give up though, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey