Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 06:52 AM

1,146 posts, read 859,868 times

Advertisements

https://nj1015.com/up-to-250000-nj-r...W_twx8aYu4b6L8

But what if I already paid them back???? This makes me livid. I did the right thing and paid back the overpayment they claimed I owed last year. Yet now they are saying we could have kept it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 06:55 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Sounds like a fun People’s Court case…

Old 02-09-2022, 07:02 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
A billion here, a billion there. And people wonder why there's inflation out the gazoo.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:36 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Thought we were discussing forgiving student loans... sounds like a class action suit is in the offing, or just a whole lot of really pzd people...... bundle covid payments and student loans

Old 02-09-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Thought we were discussing forgiving student loans... sounds like a class action suit is in the offing, or just a whole lot of really pzd people...... bundle covid payments and student loans
No, this post is about NJ now saying we could have kept the unemployment benefits that they overpaid to some of us. This is a huge gray area because if benefits were accidentally overpaid, then under normal curcumstances I understand we are required to pay some of it back. Yet, AFTER they already collected thousands of dollars re-paid to them, suddenly we are told that we "could have kept it"! It makes no sense to me. Should those who did the right thing be punished?

Old 02-09-2022, 09:35 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
It sounds like they didn’t have congressional approval to waive the pandemic over payments until now:

New Jersey and other states asked for permission to waive the overpayments in cases where fraud wasn’t involved. The guidance addresses part of their request but not all of it, and the states are continuing to ask Congress to take further action.”

“This is great news for tens of thousands of New Jerseyans who received these benefits believing they were entitled to them but found out when federal guidance changed that they did not meet the eligibility standards,” said state Labor Commissioner Robert Asaro-Angelo.”

So it sounds like Federal guidelines changed and that required states to collect it back on behalf of the federal government, so they asked for permission not to go after it and were just granted that permission. Not a NJ specific thing. It wasn’t state unemployment but the Federal pandemic assistance. They had no authority to tell people they could keep it until this congressional ruling took place.

I agree it sucks for those who paid it back but it doesn’t sound like NJ or the other states that petitioned congress to let people keep it could have done anything differently.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-09-2022 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It sounds like they didn’t have congressional approval to waive the pandemic over payments until now:

New Jersey and other states asked for permission to waive the overpayments in cases where fraud wasn’t involved. The guidance addresses part of their request but not all of it, and the states are continuing to ask Congress to take further action.”

“This is great news for tens of thousands of New Jerseyans who received these benefits believing they were entitled to them but found out when federal guidance changed that they did not meet the eligibility standards,” said state Labor Commissioner Robert Asaro-Angelo.”

So it sounds like Federal guidelines changed and that required states to collect it back on behalf of the federal government, so they asked for permission not to go after it and were just granted that permission. Not a NJ specific thing. It wasn’t state unemployment but the Federal pandemic assistance. They had no authority to tell people they could keep it until this congressional ruling took place.

I agree it sucks for those who paid it back but it doesn’t sound like NJ or the other states that petitioned congress to let people keep it could have done anything differently.
I am glad you agree it sucks for those who paid it back, but thats an understatement. I had to pay back over $6K of it. That makes me livid because I could have kept that money now according to this congressional waiver! If it was a few hundred bucks, no big deal. But, I feel like I was robbed $6K now! Hopefully they figure some way to reimburse those who did the "right" thing and paid the state back fully.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:51 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I am glad you agree it sucks for those who paid it back, but thats an understatement. I had to pay back over $6K of it. That makes me livid because I could have kept that money now according to this congressional waiver! If it was a few hundred bucks, no big deal. But, I feel like I was robbed $6K now! Hopefully they figure some way to reimburse those who did the "right" thing and paid the state back fully.
I would feel exactly the same! Check the Facebook NJ unemployment groups. I found so much valuable knowledge there when I was on UI (10/2019 till 4/2021). If there is any info to be had on getting it back, I would bet it would be there. Check the UI forum here, too.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:56 AM

Thank you. I will

Old 02-09-2022, 02:04 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
You got what you were entitled to. Stop pocket watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: