Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 06:27 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times

Advertisements

If you buy something on the open market, you’re paying market price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2022, 07:29 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
It wasn’t written great, but I knew what they meant. One has to dig for deals, be lucky, or change course. I read it to mean the normal buying experience of going to showings and open houses, then entering the bidding wars typical to this market.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-28-2022, 09:42 AM

99 posts, read 63,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Good agent and luck.

My agent is a madman. He was calling me at 10+ PM some days to tell me to check my email. That’s how we got this house. He said his co-worker was about to re-list it but was willing to show it to us in the morning before putting it back up.
so whose your agent?

Old 02-28-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIEinNYC View Post
so whose your agent?
Unfortunately, he rarely takes north jersey seeking clients. He prefers to stay south of about 140 on the parkway. Too much driving to be worthwhile. I tried to get him to work with 2 of my friends who were looking in the areas you want.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-28-2022, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 63,334 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, he rarely takes north jersey seeking clients. He prefers to stay south of about 140 on the parkway. Too much driving to be worthwhile. I tried to get him to work with 2 of my friends who were looking in the areas you want.
ok... thanks.

it's tough if you're new to the NJ/NY. And espedially tough if you're a novice from Australia ))))

Old 02-28-2022, 10:19 AM

I can imagine, sorry I can’t help. Just remain very on top of your agent and make sure they have a clear picture of what you are looking for so they don’t waste your time. Your real estate agent is effectively your employee. Don’t let them act otherwise.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:05 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I can imagine, sorry I can’t help. Just remain very on top of your agent and make sure they have a clear picture of what you are looking for so they don’t waste your time. Your real estate agent is effectively your employee. Don’t let them act otherwise.
I wanted to remind the agent we used to sell my mother's house of that. She kept sending emails and texts "reminding" me that I had to clear out "all that clutter" from the house so she could put it on the market. You don't clean out 63 years' worth of stuff from a six-bedroom house with two attics and a full basement in a couple of days, lady. My sister had started doing it while I was out of the country, and the plan was for us to finish it together but the day I got home she went into the hospital with COVID and I had to sell the house without her while wondering if she was going to survive (she did). I was 62 at the time. I had a brother with a heart condition doing small fixes on the house and none of the other siblings could help us for various health and caregiving reasons. I was exhausted for months. More than once I fantasized about just torching the place.

The only reason we were using her is that my brother did a lot of work for her/clients of hers, and we got the friends and family rate.

Then, for example, I vacuumed the entire upstairs once it was empty, only to come to the house and find her vacuuming everything again. I told my brother "she is nuts", and he said, "yeah, she is, but I work for a few RE agents. They're ALL nuts."

She called about other bizarre things, several times asking me if I was SURE there were no old oil tanks on the property. My parents bought a wooded lot in 1953 from the woman up the road who had inherited a farm that was there since the Revolution, and the house they built had municipal gas heat from the get-go. We had the original survey documents of the property and the blueprints and contract from the building of the house and everything. Who would have had these oil tanks? The Lenape?

In the end, she priced right a house that need a ton of updating, and it sold for asking in one day to a woman who had no contingencies and wanted a fast closing. I was so glad when it was finally over.

Old 02-28-2022, 11:55 AM

The whole process on both sides sucks. I’m already dreading doing it again in 8-10 years!

Old 02-28-2022, 12:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Nutley is a good option. It fits all your criteria.

Old 02-28-2022, 12:58 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
My experience with a realtor as a buyer was basically using her as my scheduler for viewings and to present offers. I found every single house we wanted to see online. I don’t know what percentages realtors are charging for selling a home in this hot market but it would be hard to justify paying 6%, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey