Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 55,304 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I'm beginning to start the process to buy my first house in the next few months. I'm pretty set on central Jersey since its between work (Manhattan) and my friends and family (Cherry Hill area). My budget is in the 280-350k range, which I realize is somewhat low for our great state of NJ. I've been looking into the Edison area since its in the right location, but a few people at work have been telling me that its not the best of areas (yes, I read Money's Best 100 Places to Live and realize Edison was ranked 28). I am single and marriage is not in the near future, so schools are only a concern for resale value.

Any thoughts on areas to look into in the next month or so? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
I'll agree that Edison is not "the best of areas"- there are definitely better places. But for someone who needs access to public transportation to NYC, easy access to any major road in the state, reasonably affordable housing, good schools, and a still-strong RE market, you can't do much better than Edison.

In your price range, you'll be looking in the "South" Edison area, which is the less expensive area, but still a nice area. You could also look in Woodbridge (the next town over), where there are over 100 listings currently under $350k.

One thing to consider, if it's an issue for you, is that there's a very large Indian/Asian population in the Edison/Woodbridge area. Personally, I find it to be a good thing- they keep to themselves, keep their homes/neighborhoods neat, value education, and are always looking to buy homes in the area (hence keeping the market strong here)- there are far worse people you could have as neighbors.

I live in the Iselin section of Woodbridge, so if you need further info, feel free to ask.

Bob

Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks - any other suggestions? West Orange, Woodbridge, Springfield, etc? I realize I'm priced out of about 90% of the towns up here unfortunately.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 AM

9 posts, read 27,769 times
Woodbridge Twp is a terrific place to live in -- access to everything. But even at $350K you will find it tough to get a great house. I just put my house up for sale yesterday in Avenel (town in Woodbridge Twp), which may be out of your price range. But if you are interested in living in a home that is walking distance from the train to NYC, pharmacy, post office, etc and has been completed updated for almost every modern appliance ... go to www.greatnjhouseforsale.info (broken link) and make me an offer. The suggested price was based on a realtor's assessment, but as I am selling this home on my own, the price is negotiable. Whatever you do, good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM

14 posts, read 128,384 times
Default Highland Park is great

Have you checked out Highland Park? It's right between Edison and New Brunswick, and it's a great, very progressive town with an actual downtown. You can walk to the grocery store, coffee house, library, post office, pharmacy, and some great restaurants. And, many people here walk, ride bikes or drive to the train station in New Brunswick for an easy commute to Manhattan. The town is very safe.

Edison has some great restaurants, but personally I find it too amorphous and spread out (like a lot of NJ!). I prefer a place that has an actual center of town, which Highland Park has.

Highland Park also has a really diverse mix of people; lots of Rutgers professors and students; artists; young families; secular progressive types; and, interestingly, a large orthodox Jewish community. Somehow, everybody gets along.

We currently live here--and love it!--but plan on moving to SE Pennsylvania this spring, as my husband's job has moved. Also, we now have 3 children and our house is just too small for our growing family.

I definitely think you could find some smaller homes here in your price range. Actually, our house (3 bed/1 bath) is a great starter home--it was for us! Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info about Highland Park in general, or might even be interested in taking a look at our house.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks everybody - after much thought, I decided on the cranford/roselle park area. I upped my price range to 400-450k and am going to start looking in the immediate future.

I heard a lot of mixed reviews about edison/woodbridge and decided to go back to the area I lived in before (rented in westfield). I know the area fairly well and like the downtown centers and convenience to the parkway. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM

49 posts, read 202,818 times
personally I would take Woodbridge/Edison over Cranford/Roselle anytime. Clark is very nice and so is Metuchen, and now your price range is much more on target!! good luck hunting.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:20 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paneristi80 View Post
Thanks everybody - after much thought, I decided on the cranford/roselle park area. I upped my price range to 400-450k and am going to start looking in the immediate future.

I heard a lot of mixed reviews about edison/woodbridge and decided to go back to the area I lived in before (rented in westfield). I know the area fairly well and like the downtown centers and convenience to the parkway. Thanks again.
Cranford,Clark,Rahway,Roselle,Woodbridge and Westfield all have a lot of nice sections
check out the statistics for any area at www.city-data.com
also check out http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/re...de73d8&ei=5070

send me a message to let me know how you make out

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM

157 posts, read 780,661 times
I live in Westfield. Cranford is a great choice. You will see there is a lot of upscale development happening- I think it is a great investment!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,474 times
I like Bridgewater. Good school systems, relatively cheap, and very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey