Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 02:39 PM

572 posts, read 279,911 times

Advertisements

Looks like it was $4, and a shortage of pumpers what done it.

Quote:
The proposal, announced via press release Monday by a new industry-backed group called Fuel Your Way NJ and sponsored by a bipartisan trio of state Assembly members, immediately caused a stir across the state

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...p-gas-00014339
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 02:52 PM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Gas pumpers are making over $20+ an hour now in NJ, thanks to Governor Murphy's ridiculous minimum wage requirements that went into effect in January. Obviously many places cannot afford that type of labor, without raising fuel prices significantly so say good bye to your jobs.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:06 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Gas pumpers are making over $20+ an hour now in NJ, thanks to Governor Murphy's ridiculous minimum wage requirements that went into effect in January. Obviously many places cannot afford that type of labor, without raising fuel prices significantly so say good bye to your jobs.
The minimum wage is $13. Why would someone have to be paid $20 an hour to pump gas? I can’t think of a lower skill job that than.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:51 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Back when NJ had cheap gas, it was routine for us NY’ers to fill up anytime we were visiting family, shopping, passing through, etc. I hate, hate, hate having to wait for someone else to complete a task that I can easily complete myself. Full service only was one of my top pet peeves whenever the question would arise.

Thankfully (and strangely ironic), by the time I had moved back, NY’s gas was cheaper! With the roles reversed, I’d always fill up in Staten Island when getting the kids, working, etc. Such an odd change after all those years.

Anyway, I was saved from full service nonsense finally because of this quirk. My only reliance on NJ gas stations was for my waverunner last summer, but they always allow you to pump yourself for boats.

Now I have an electric car but man this is LONG overdue. It’s one of the dumbest visible laws I’ve ever had to deal with.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-07-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The minimum wage is $13. Why would someone have to be paid $20 an hour to pump gas? I can’t think of a lower skill job that than.
Nobody actually works for minimum wage.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Nobody actually works for minimum wage.

Of course they do. But if you believe that, then the minimum wage set by Murphy should be inconsequential.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Of course they do. But if you believe that, then the minimum wage set by Murphy should be inconsequential.
Ive been working since age 14 and even at age 14 I wasnt making minimum wage.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
The owners can simply be the gas pumpers themselves. If they cant handle all those customers, then customers will go to another station. If there are not enough station, then there will be demand to open more stations and all run by the owners alone if they dont want to pay for help.

If there are regulations/redtape that prevent too many stations from being open, well, then just have to pick and choose the times you need to pump gas more wisely. That is the way it is. Is called life, suck it up, and stop complaining.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Ive been working since age 14 and even at age 14 I wasnt making minimum wage.
Got it. Must be true for everybody then.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The owners can simply be the gas pumpers themselves. If they cant handle all those customers, then customers will go to another station. If there are not enough station, then there will be demand to open more stations and all run by the owners alone if they dont want to pay for help.

If there are regulations/redtape that prevent too many stations from being open, well, then just have to pick and choose the times you need to pump gas more wisely. That is the way it is. Is called life, suck it up, and stop complaining.

It would make more sense for everyone to just allow us to pump our own gas. We pay cheaper prices and the owners don’t have to pay employees. I’m not usually in favor of people losing their jobs but there are plenty of jobs to be had these days so I consider that a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey