Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 06:44 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This looks nice for retirement. I’ve never heard of land lease for anything other than a mobile home. How much for the house? How much for the land lease? How much for the maintenance? I couldn’t find any pricing info on any of it.
Land lease - The owner of the property still owns the land and you pay them rent for your house to be there and It's usually a 99 year lease on the property. Since you don't own the land, you're not paying the real estate taxes on it. But in regard to the cost, it's usually about what the real estate taxes would be, but because of it being a land lease, the cost of the home is usually thousands less.

I'm only about 5 miles from this place, so I'll try to find out the info over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 07:40 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Maybe a choice for some.

Yes, it's land lease, so you don't pay real estate taxes, plus because it is land lease the cost of the home is lower.

https://thecottagesnj.com/
She doesn't want a place with HOA or fees.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:23 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
For the price OP looking for, have to hit Burlington county or south. Still within an hour of the shore, NJ isn't that wide.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:28 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Manahawkin?

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 08-22-2022, 12:24 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Why not look a southwestern NJ?

Burlington,Salem,Gloucester,Cumberland

Old 08-22-2022, 04:10 AM

401 posts, read 426,083 times
Have you looked at Pa or DE? We lived in NJ for 58 years the last 30 years in Warren County and retired in 2015. We were paying $13K in taxes, for a well & septic, & volunteer FD ( I am a volunteer FF). We had to get out, we looked in Pa and De and settled on Pa in a suburb of Philadelphia. We have daughters in South NJ and Pa, both are about 45 mins away from us. Taxes are significantly cheaper in Pa and De compared to NJ. The Jersey and DE shore is 90 mins away. Do not limit your search just to NJ a lot of options outside of NJ.

We spent about 6 months looking and spending weekends in the area we were considering. The great thing about retirement is you go out when others are at work, so traffic is usually not an issue…lol. Enjoy the process you have a lot of things to consider and explore your options. We do not regret moving out of NJ.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:57 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC1957 View Post
Have you looked at Pa or DE? We lived in NJ for 58 years the last 30 years in Warren County and retired in 2015. We were paying $13K in taxes, for a well & septic, & volunteer FD ( I am a volunteer FF). We had to get out, we looked in Pa and De and settled on Pa in a suburb of Philadelphia. We have daughters in South NJ and Pa, both are about 45 mins away from us. Taxes are significantly cheaper in Pa and De compared to NJ. The Jersey and DE shore is 90 mins away. Do not limit your search just to NJ a lot of options outside of NJ.

We spent about 6 months looking and spending weekends in the area we were considering. The great thing about retirement is you go out when others are at work, so traffic is usually not an issue…lol. Enjoy the process you have a lot of things to consider and explore your options. We do not regret moving out of NJ.
This is true. You can cross state borders and be able to afford much more and be the same distance to family/friends/amenities you want. Why pay absurd NJ taxes when you could hop to PA and get a great deal? You might even be closer to the Jersey Shore too.

One of my friend's mom just moved from Paramus NJ to Manchester NJ. Hated it because the taxes and that was the 'closest' town that fit the budget, where they were 35+ minutes from everything. Moved to PA. Not exactly what they wanted, but were able to afford much more and have a walkable core and good access to the Jersey Shore. Get this... only 25 minutes longer than where she just was because shes straight off the ACE.

The NJ suburbs of Philadelphia would be ideal, but I am seeing 300k homes with 10-12k in property taxes per year, which is absolutely hilarious someone would actually pay that.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I grew up in Bergen County and hubby and I still have family there. We feel your pain about the taxes! We live in Gloucester County and taxes here are much lower than they are in Bergen County. (Ours are literally half what my father-in-law was paying for a much smaller lot in Bergen County.) But we are still very close to EXCELLENT medical care in Philadelphia and about an hour from many of the main Southern NJ Shore points.

I don't know exactly where your children are, but maybe southwestern NJ would fit your bill. Even Cumberland and Salem County would, in general, be much cheaper from a property tax perspective. Some have mentioned Burlington County, and that is also a possibility, but be aware that some parts of Burlington County have gotten quite expensive. It's a large county, though, so it all depends. Also, not every town in Gloucester County has (relatively) low taxes. Wenonah, which is a cute little town that is considered "hot" right now, has taxes that remind me of Bergen County.

Old 08-25-2022, 08:48 AM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
Try looking at Leisure Knolls in Manchester, NJ. Single family homes with 2 beds/2 baths, single-floor living, and yes, there is an HOA fee, but it's moderate. It includes lawn maintenance. You can also have snow removal for a very low fee. They have robust social activities. We also live in Bergen County, and my brother is there and he and his wife love it, and we are going to move there when we sell our home. It's kept nicely and we really like it there. It's in Ocean County. Here is the website so you can check out the current inventory of homes for sale. And taxes are LOW. There is a lot of building going on in the area.

https://www.55places.com/new-jersey/.../leisure-knoll

Old 08-25-2022, 10:58 AM

10,425 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
For the price OP looking for, have to hit Burlington county or south. Still within an hour of the shore, NJ isn't that wide.
Burlington County taxes are ridiculous, at least when i lived there, and were more than Morris County where I am now. Although, there are a lot 55+ living communities which probably have some type of tax reduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey