Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 03:45 PM

7 posts, read 6,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The DMV changed from walk-in's to online appointments only, which sounds good but its near impossible to get an appointment.

I purchased a car from a private sale two weeks ago and am still waiting to get a license plate to drive it. Walked into my local DMV in Randolph - Morris County, and they said you have to make an appointment online and they no longer do Titles or Plates, only at specific DMV's.

Okay, make an appointment. If you go online, Fridays and Saturday appointments are booked out weeks to a months in advance. That give's you Monday - Thursday with with some days having no availablity to limited appointment times between their hours of ~9am - 3:15pm. Now I live in Morris County, which is the center of North Jersey. The closest DMV that issues Titles and License Plates is approximately 1.5 hour car drive away (round trip).

So now I'm on week 3, waiting for a license plate and need to take a half day/ day-off from work to show up to the DMV to get a plate.

What an absolute disaster.

Went to Wayne recently with an appointment I got 1 week in advance and was in and out in 30 minutes. Maybe try there? Also check Newark too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 04:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,878 times
I don't get why they can't make a federal system. I've moved across several states for school and work, and it's so ridiculous the amount of automotive paperwork and hoops you have to go through.

Anyway, my most recent experience at NJ MVC: I showed up at the time of my appointment, waited in a long line to determine where I should go next to wait in an even longer line. Got near the front and saw every one of the 4 parties ahead of me get turned away (sent home) because they didn't have exactly the right paperwork. Am I lucky or feeling special because I was able to transfer my DL... not really... instead, I came away having seen how ridiculous it is that I was the 1 in 4 who actually got what they showed up for.

Old 11-15-2022, 06:29 AM

7,345 posts, read 3,517,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
I don't get why they can't make a federal system. I've moved across several states for school and work, and it's so ridiculous the amount of automotive paperwork and hoops you have to go through.

Anyway, my most recent experience at NJ MVC: I showed up at the time of my appointment, waited in a long line to determine where I should go next to wait in an even longer line. Got near the front and saw every one of the 4 parties ahead of me get turned away (sent home) because they didn't have exactly the right paperwork. Am I lucky or feeling special because I was able to transfer my DL... not really... instead, I came away having seen how ridiculous it is that I was the 1 in 4 who actually got what they showed up for.
because why have states then

no thanks, i dont want the entire usa to become more like new jersey

Old 11-15-2022, 07:58 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Finally, just returned from the DMV after 3 weeks of buying my car to finally get it titled. The experience at the DMV with the appointment was likely the best I've had but it came at a huge cost. First I had to drive 1.5 hours round trip to the DMV that does titles (and i live in the middle of the state), after I arrived at the DMV there were likely ~15-20 employees there and 4 customers. Obviously the system makes it easier at the DMV but it came at a huge cost. The DMV should be back to walk-in.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:40 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,218,105 times
Having to drive 1.5 hours just to get a title. That’s a lot of unnecessary fossil fuels getting burned. Multiply that by millions of other people and years and years and that is a an unsustainable practice. I thought Democrat states like NJ were concerned about climate change, carbon footprints, etc.?

Old 11-15-2022, 02:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Having to drive 1.5 hours just to get a title. That’s a lot of unnecessary fossil fuels getting burned. Multiply that by millions of other people and years and years and that is a an unsustainable practice. I thought Democrat states like NJ were concerned about climate change, carbon footprints, etc.?
Not everyone has to drive that far though. We titled our cars at Trenton, which is only about 15 minutes away from me.

I do agree though that if they are going to have sites only doing certain things, they need to open more sites. No one should have to drive that far to do this. But i dont' want to think about going back to the old way -- standing in line for HOURS and HOURS...

Old 11-15-2022, 03:35 PM

7,345 posts, read 3,517,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Not everyone has to drive that far though. We titled our cars at Trenton, which is only about 15 minutes away from me.

I do agree though that if they are going to have sites only doing certain things, they need to open more sites. No one should have to drive that far to do this. But i dont' want to think about going back to the old way -- standing in line for HOURS and HOURS...
you never had to wait for hours. an hour max. it only got bad in 2018. before then, from 1994 to 2017 the dmv was perfectly fine. i was at many dmv’s every year during those years

Old 11-15-2022, 05:24 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,342,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
you never had to wait for hours. an hour max. it only got bad in 2018. before then, from 1994 to 2017 the dmv was perfectly fine. i was at many dmv’s every year during those years
True but covid and right after for like a year... holy crap... it really sucked when you waited 6 hours then were sent home.

Old 11-22-2022, 04:51 PM

585 posts, read 492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The DMV changed from walk-in's to online appointments only, which sounds good but its near impossible to get an appointment.

I purchased a car from a private sale two weeks ago and am still waiting to get a license plate to drive it. Walked into my local DMV in Randolph - Morris County, and they said you have to make an appointment online and they no longer do Titles or Plates, only at specific DMV's.

Okay, make an appointment. If you go online, Fridays and Saturday appointments are booked out weeks to a months in advance. That give's you Monday - Thursday with with some days having no availablity to limited appointment times between their hours of ~9am - 3:15pm. Now I live in Morris County, which is the center of North Jersey. The closest DMV that issues Titles and License Plates is approximately 1.5 hour car drive away (round trip).

So now I'm on week 3, waiting for a license plate and need to take a half day/ day-off from work to show up to the DMV to get a plate.

What an absolute disaster.
Go Newton, it's 22 miles away from Randolph and has open appointments this Friday starting at 9:15 AM.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:35 AM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Go Newton, it's 22 miles away from Randolph and has open appointments this Friday starting at 9:15 AM.
Yep thats where I wound up going. When I first booked appointments were booked out weeks, after I missed my appointment, found an obscure weekday time to go a couple weeks out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey