Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,426 times

Advertisements

Since joining this forum back in Feb '08, it's becoming clear to me that we keep repeating ourselves answering the same questions over & over, different threads titles but same questions, how many JC or Newark questions are we supposed to answer? how many questions about which schools are better, taxes & oil, gas. I'm all for helping people and answering their questions, but would it hurt to do a simple thread search for what they're looking for? I'm fast losing interest and I'm sure some of you who have been here longer may have felt this way at some point but.....does it get better or worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,621,229 times
am tired of the JC and Newark threads myself.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM

109 posts, read 345,557 times
I love when people bump ancient threads. I've noticed that it's usually that member's first post. It's like they register just to bump the thread. :lol:

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,985 times
It is true but unfortunately that is what a forum is about. Many new people do not use or even know about the search feature and start new threads that end up being the same as many from before. It does not really bother me much but I can see how it can bother some.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Some place on here just before you post I seem to rememember seeing some text asking posters to do a search first to be sure their question was not already answered. Either it is not noticed or no one cares. Everyone likes individual attention. So we will always have new people asking a question that us old farts have answered over and over and over again.

We can play the game and answer them or ignore them. In my case I think it depends on my mood. Good mood I answer questions that I know have been beaten to death just days before and bad mood I just move on to other threads.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,426 times
I agree w/ all of your opinions, but I'm currently feeling like I have nothing new to contribute to the questions because I feel like It just becomes like an automated response..."Anytown NJ is nice but taxes are high" or "Anytown NJ is nicer than this other town" or "Move to Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair" "Or how far from NYC".

Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM

11 posts, read 24,454 times
Hey there-
This site is excellent, and a lot of thanks goes out to those of you who share your knowledge with those who have questions.

I'm doing research in preparation for buying a house.
I did a search of the forum and found a few links that were informative but did not speak precisely to my needs.
So, trying to be a reponsible poster, I posted to an existing thread, detailing my specific circumstances but did not get any decent response.
So I will have to start a new thread if I want to get any good feedback that speaks directly to my situation.

I hope that I can count on the help of experienced posters when I need it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,688 times
I remember when I first joined the forum and I was on the Philadelphia board (we thought we were going to move to Philly) and I made the same queries not even thinking about the search option. Luckily, the Philly memebers were kind, rounded up some threads that pretty much answered my qs.

I always assumed that this board was mainly for info for people looking to move so naturally I try to be as helpful as I can. If I know there are threads around that pertain to their questions, I try to find them and direct the poster in the right direction just as was done for me.

There are a lot of threads I cannot help on (JC being one) so I move on.

We were all newbies once and if it bothers you THAT much, just move on to a thread that interests you...very simple, really.

Shanny

Old 06-02-2008, 10:52 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygram4mongo View Post
Hey there-
This site is excellent, and a lot of thanks goes out to those of you who share your knowledge with those who have questions.

I'm doing research in preparation for buying a house.
I did a search of the forum and found a few links that were informative but did not speak precisely to my needs.
So, trying to be a reponsible poster, I posted to an existing thread, detailing my specific circumstances but did not get any decent response.
So I will have to start a new thread if I want to get any good feedback that speaks directly to my situation.

I hope that I can count on the help of experienced posters when I need it.

And that's all I have to say about that.
Excellent point, candy..I didn't even think of that.

Shanny

Old 06-02-2008, 10:57 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
The only time it annoys me is when there's a duplicate thread on the same page. I would at least scroll down the page first! What bothers me more is resurrecting threads 1-2 yrs old either to argue a point or tell the OP where to move to when they obviously don't even read the board any longer (some members have only 1-2 posts).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey