Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2023, 10:52 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times

Advertisements

Talking about the carrying baskets you can use when you're only picking up a few items.

I went into my local Weis supermarket in suburban Flanders, Morris County, to find that there were no carrying baskets. I had to get a cart.

The lady said they once had 50, and were down to 3 so the manager took them away and decided not to buy any more.

Is that happening elsewhere? I was in Shop Rite last week in the same town and they seemed to have plenty of baskets. Maybe their manager is more optimistic and is still replacing them? My thought is that this happened because people would rather steal a basket than buy a bag. But my son works at a supermarket in Pennsylvania where bags are still legal, and their baskets get stolen, too. Weird thing to steal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:05 AM

10,484 posts, read 7,014,991 times
People are/were shopping with their groceries in the baskets and bringing them home. Typically leave the basket at the counter and walk home with the bags. Well if you don't have bags you take the basket to your car and you either leave with it or put it in the cart-return. Some people didn't want tomatoes and cans rolling around their car. Pretty sure it happened everywhere, some places are replacing them other decided not too.

Also as a side-note, we banned grocery bags and plastic straws to save the sea life, however this administration has been directly responsible for killing at least a dozen whales and countless dolphins so far.

Old 03-15-2023, 11:24 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Sounds like a Bob Dylan song,,,,, The shopping baskets have been stolen,,, and the mailbox it is lost

Those have disappeared most everywhere in NJ also

Old 03-15-2023, 12:22 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
DO NOT FEAR. There is new legislation in the works to make all supermarket baskets made of bamboo so when people steal them, they do not go in the landfill. No legislation to stop people from stealing, just some to handle the REAL problem

Old 03-15-2023, 12:56 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Is that happening elsewhere? Weird thing to steal.
No, not everywhere. If you go to the Princeton Whole Foods store (actually located in West Windsor), you will see that shopping baskets are still available--in abundance.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, not everywhere. If you go to the Princeton Whole Foods store (actually located in West Windsor), you will see that shopping baskets are still available--in abundance.
Not surprising about Princeton, but Flanders is pretty posh in its own right.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:11 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Flanders is pretty posh in its own right.
Pretty posh?
Perhaps...
However, it's likely that the locals are larcenous if those baskets have all been removed.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Pretty posh?
Perhaps...
However, it's likely that the locals are larcenous if those baskets have all been removed.
Don't worry, I'll get to the bottom of it. Like I said, the ShopRite around the corner in the same perhaps-posh town had plenty of handbaskets last week.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:57 PM

214 posts, read 351,182 times
Most stores have few personnel around those self checkout lanes to make sure that nobody is carrying out with those small baskets. Now Weiss I guess is not one of them. If you visit the Flanders shop-rite or any of the big box box stores (e.g. Wal-mart, target etc), they have that policy with the Shop-rite in Mansfield going to the extreme that you have to pay a 25c deposit to take the shopping cart which you would get back when return the cart (reason, I don't prefer going there).

Old 03-16-2023, 10:21 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,850 times
I don't think there are baskets in my ShopRite either. Thank you for solving this mystery! I thought they just moved them and it didn't make any sense to me. People just really suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey