Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 09:41 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
You're a suburb of NYC. You want to be able to literally swim there. Hoboken is from the 1800s.

That doesn't describe even a FRACTION of New Jersey. Except the word expensive. That's because of you guys and what you vote for. And everybody in NJ has lived with traffic in many NJ places since time began. And "old". Including me. Also, besides NJ, I'm from Philly. Circa 1600s. Betsy Ross and all that.

See people move from dispirate places and expect stuff that's not realistic. LIke Ohio people move to Florida and complain about no mountains. Or seaweed on the beach.

What could NJ could do to get rid of "old"? Level Hoboken to rebuild it from sewers on up?

There aren't just "70s raised ranches" for $800K in Bergen County.

There are 521 MLS listings in Bergen County under $800K from condos/coops $180K and plenty of Colonials. BiLevels, Historic Restored but You want NYC NJ FLASH for Mid West cash, right?

Lastly there are MANY MANY SAHM in central Jersey and Pa who's husbands commute to NYC. You chose Hoboken .

NICE areas you wouldn't/shouldn't complain about. Mercer, Hopewell, Lawrence, Ewing....

Choices. Or maybe you're just trying to convey being ~ discerning.
I'll be honest... I don' understand most of what you wrote, which is fine. But the bolded above, not sure where you got that from my post. I don't expect anything here to reflect Midwest pricing, that's insane. But I would likely not be comfortable paying what it would take to maintain our standard of living (along with a long commute) further afield to 'make it work'. And I realize millions of people do just that, for reasons that make sense to them.

Everything is a personal value proposition. For me, where we live now is worth it, and only do-able with both of us working. If circumstances changed and we dropped to one income (for example), my personal value proposition would nudge me out of state as we have no family here so are not tied to it really in any way. And I say that as someone who likes the area, but at some point it stops making financial/time sense. That was the gyst of my entire post, apologies if that didn't come through clearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 10:11 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
I'm going to answer this in the past tense, as I was born in NJ in 1960 and moved to PA in 1993.

Things I liked about NJ were the passenger rail system (actually I still like it), proximity to NYC (living in Essex/Morris/Warren), and the rolling hills of Morris, Warren, and Somerset counties for cycling. And relatively cheap gas, which I still enjoy because I still work in NJ.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:32 AM

182 posts, read 136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw Phil Murphy in person for the first time today. Much taller than I thought he was and funnier than I imagined him to be.
Yes, he’s a real riot.
And a sharp looking weave to boot.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:54 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Did you talk to him about Sea mammals and wind turbines?
I hope he informed him, that he is quite the hot topic in nj city data forums, especially in the wind turbine thread.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:34 AM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
NJ is the perfect fit for this stage of my life.

I started here but was taken to NY as a kid. Most of my family lived/live here, so we practically still lived in NJ anyway, especially over the summer. As soon as I could, I moved back.

I don’t see myself leaving NJ for a long time, if ever. I can easily afford the lifestyle I desire here. I never had a grand house in the “perfect” neighborhood so I don’t need that. This creates a lot of leeway for other things (and savings). Of course it would be great if taxes were lower but at least here - unlike NYC - I see a “return on investment”.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-21-2023, 12:03 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Did you talk to him about Sea mammals and wind turbines?
Lol, no, I didn't talk to him at all. I was there with almost 600 other people in the transportation industry, and there were a lot of other speakers. He was there for 20 minutes, because that's what politicians do before they run to the next thing. But Jersey is getting a nice chunk of federal money. Mostly for Gateway, of course, but other projects, too.

Old 09-21-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
Yes, he’s a real riot.
And a sharp looking weave to boot.
Don't forget the teeth. Looks like he takes good care of those chompers.

But seriously, he is personable and humorous. Sorry, not as married to and in lockstep with political parties as some of you. I was there because it was my job to attend the event on behalf of my employer. I've worked under both Republicans and Democrats for forty years. They all care about one thing and one thing only: What they can get you to think so that they can get elected or re-elected.

Only a minority of attendees were there because of political affiliation, because that is THEIR job. The majority were there for business networking and opportunity. Same crowd would have attended no matter who was governor.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-21-2023 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I hope he informed him, that he is quite the hot topic in nj city data forums, especially in the wind turbine thread.
Who is "he"?

Old 09-21-2023, 01:35 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who is "he"?

Mightydragqueen?

Old 09-21-2023, 02:02 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
She
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey