Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM

21 posts, read 114,087 times

Advertisements

help ?? what are you going to do besides wearing a snow suit indoors. They say to fill a 250 gal tank and keep it at 62 degrees and maybe it should last 8wks instead of 6 wks. Gee,that is about $1800 to fill tank at today's price to heat 1850 sq ft house. I can't pay that can you, and throw in $40.00 per wk for gasoline? Any suggestions on how to keep warm and not broke?

Last edited by tillthen; 05-29-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 PM

161 posts, read 767,702 times
Insulate your home. Switch to Natural Gas. Condition yourself for the cold.

Our heating bill this year from Nov - March averaged about 140 bucks a month, which is nothing. Last month it was 52 dollars.

How?

We shut the heat off when we sleep and when we go to work rather than keep it at 60 Why heat an empty house? Our cats have each other and a layer of fur. We keep the thermostat at 68 when we are awake at night.

We have some good blankets and we are never cold at night. The house dropped to 52 degrees one night, but of course we didnt notice it under the blankets.

We hang out in the basement where I have electric heat and the temp never drops below 62 degrees even when its 0 outside

We conditioned ourselves to the cold. Its around 66 degrees in the house at night now and we are warm. We keep the windows open and the ceiling fan on when we sleep.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,926 times
We left our big oil-heated, insulation free money pit in NJ and moved into a well-insulated, gas-heated, middle unit townhome in PA. All winter we kept pinching ourselves when the monthly heating bill was $75 as opposed to $800-900 in that old house during the coldest months. And we had to keep the heat on or the pipes would freeze...did I mention it had no insulation?

M-O-N-E-Y P-I-T !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 04:58 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Same situation. I rent a crappy old house (moving again next year but I wanted one freaking year I didnt move)

Problem is no guarantee what we move to next year will be any better tho I will be looking.

Wood stoves FTW.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
We have a Rinnai energy saver room gas heater (Direct vented space heaters and room furnaces by Rinnai = save money on your heating bills and keep your loved ones warmer!) which is direct vented (no CO in your house and no chimney to worry about). We can heat up our living room to 75 F in about 2 minutes and just heat up the rest of the house to 65 or whatever. I want to get my wife a heated bathroom seat (not joking) and would also like to put in radiant floors in the bathroom. Think about where the cold affects you most. For us it is when we are relaxing or using the bathroom. Personally I do not mind the cold but "conditioning" yourself does not always work. If you have children for example this may not be an option. We do not, but my wife hates the cold and it's not fair for me to expect her to deal with it just because it doesn't affect me nearly as much.

We do not heat the basement at all... yet, because we don't use it, even though it is finished, and there has never been any worry about freezing pipes. I would like to put a Rinnai down there also.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Well unfortunately I live in an area where natural gas is not available...propane isn't much cheaper then oil and I hate those big ole propane tanks in your yard.
Going to look at those fireplace inserts with a blower fan and use that a lot this winter

Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well unfortunately I live in an area where natural gas is not available...propane isn't much cheaper then oil and I hate those big ole propane tanks in your yard.
Going to look at those fireplace inserts with a blower fan and use that a lot this winter
I used to have one Kate they are great.........I know have a gas fireplace but no blower but it does help.... I have gas heat and last year it cost a little less than $700 which I dont think was bad. I hate the cold so I will never lower it under 70.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I feel for y'all- our heating oil bills used to run around $1,000/year even back when oil was under $2/gallon, so they'd be more like $2,500/year now. My gas and electric usually total around $200/month now, with gas higher/electric lower in the winter, and vice versa in the summer, for around 2.5x as much square footage

Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My niece and her husband have a house in Dingman's Ferry, PA, and it gets COLD there. They have a pellet fireplace with a blower that they use exclusively for their heat. They tell me it's cost efficient.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
when you have a big old home like myself you tend to do a process of elimination, and rotate your source of heating in order to find what's the least expensive of your choices, I have gas in my family room addition but since it's a 22 x 28 room and it's where we spend most of our time at home I use a wood/coal stove, coal runs pretty cheap ($250) compared to gas/oil so that's a no brainer. I also purchase wood by the bulk (courd*) sp and it lasts me all winter long ($180). I also use wood for my fireplace which has an insert and blower. Now oil that was the killer on my pockets, first winter in our home oil was running at 70 degrees when we were home and it was costing on avg about $400 - $500 every week. That's when we knew we need it to modify our heating sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey