Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 11:10 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, that is entirely possible!
The English branch of my family apparently immigrated to London from Amsterdam in the early 1700s.
In London, like most recent immigrants, they lived in the worst section of The East End--the neighborhood that later became the stomping ground of Jack The Ripper. While in London, several of them were writers, but when the Industrial Revolution began, many moved to Manchester, where they were shoe manufacturers.
Ah, mine worked in the cotton mills, but during the Civil War when the Union blockade kept the cotton from getting to the UK, the mills were closing, so in 1863 they moved to Paterson and found work in the silk mills.

Their grandson would marry a Dutch woman he met working in the mills, and their only surviving child was my father. My grandfather later worked for the railroad and so stayed employed during the Depression.

Old 01-07-2024, 11:42 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
While it is "doable", I think that most Brits would find that the Indian food available in rural areas of NJ is very different from what they are used to in The UK.
That's quite true. Maybe he'll like Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 12:13 PM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
I think Retriever my Grandson is accumulating credits here in the UK now, he's been in college here for two years. Would that sound right?
It sounds to me as if something is wrong.
He has already attended college for two years, but now he's considering a transfer to a 2-year college?
If he has been attending college for two years and if he has been passing his courses, then he should be contemplating a transfer to a 4 year college.

Something doesn't add up, IMHO.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 549,139 times
I think the OP is having a "bit of fun" as I believe they say over there.

Old 01-07-2024, 01:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
He has already attended college for two years, but now he's considering a transfer to a 2-year college?
If he has been attending college for two years and if he has been passing his courses, then he should be contemplating a transfer to a 4 year college.

I believe there is a difference in the UK between colleges and universities, the OP's grandson is only 18, so I suspect it's more of a junior college, or college prep scenario.

I think your grandson has a great opportunity to experience the US. Give him your blessing if asked. Sussex County is a pretty area, only about 90 minutes from New York City. We lived there for several years before my husband's job took us south. It isn't nearly as rural and isolated as people may think. I would want to know if anybody in the shared house has a vehicle. It is not an easy place to get around using public transportation.

Old 01-07-2024, 02:30 PM

24 posts, read 18,376 times
Quote:

I don't think it works like that in the UK. I don't think students here do two years in a college & then move to another for four years.
He has to hit certain marks to go to a college in the US & by all accounts, he's well above the marks he requires.
Not forgetting, he's not studying football either where he is now or where he ends up. The football side of it solely relates to the Academy he's in, its the Academy though that steered him into college here & is involved in this scheme of young players going abroad. From what I've gathered here, college wise, some of his lessons involve the physical side of the body ie muscles/bones. Its only a very few who make it to the top of any sport, so that's his back up plan.
I might be completely off the mark here but the lad hasn't been approached because of education status.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:13 PM

24 posts, read 18,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I believe there is a difference in the UK between colleges and universities, the OP's grandson is only 18, so I suspect it's more of a junior college, or college prep scenario.

I think your grandson has a great opportunity to experience the US. Give him your blessing if asked. Sussex County is a pretty area, only about 90 minutes from New York City. We lived there for several years before my husband's job took us south. It isn't nearly as rural and isolated as people may think. I would want to know if anybody in the shared house has a vehicle. It is not an easy place to get around using public transportation.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there Mattie. My life never took me further down the education road, I left school and that was it.
My daughter left school & went into a job that entailed block release to college, she gained her Degree much later in life, not working for that company or going to that college.

Without a doubt he'll have all of our backing.
I know he's in touch with a couple of lads who've already taken up the opportunity in America, college & football. They love it.

Old 01-08-2024, 07:10 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
Quote:
Sussex County, overall, is very rural, very white, very conservative.
The town of Newton, where the college is located, is the County Seat, and it is a nice little town with a very good hospital.

As long as your Grandson isn't expecting the hustle and bustle of city life, he just might like the area. However, he will likely be disappointed that there isn't a Chippy, and Going for a Curry is very likely not possible in that area.

As you may be able to tell, I've spent a fair amount of time in The UK, and part of my family hails from Manchester.
yeah this ^^

I have a lake house up on Owassa. Everytime I go down to Branchville to get a pizza I am always greeted with my local friendly rednecks. It brings me back to living in Florida or North Carolina for sure lol

Old 01-08-2024, 10:26 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Sussex County, overall, is very rural, very white, very conservative.
The town of Newton, where the college is located, is the County Seat, and it is a nice little town with a very good hospital.

As long as your Grandson isn't expecting the hustle and bustle of city life, he just might like the area. However, he will likely be disappointed that there isn't a Chippy, and Going for a Curry is very likely not possible in that area.

As you may be able to tell, I've spent a fair amount of time in The UK, and part of my family hails from Manchester.
That's the hospital where my sister was in the ventilator with COVID in 2021. She survived, even though it looked as though she might not for a while, so they did all right.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:07 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's the hospital where my sister was in the ventilator with COVID in 2021. She survived, even though it looked as though she might not for a while, so they did all right.
My brother was a patient there, about 10 years ago, and when I visited him, I was accompanied by a very close friend who is a critical care nurse at one of the largest hospital chains in NJ. My friend was very impressed with Newton Memorial Hospital's attention to disease/infection prevention.

The one example that I recall is that they use disposable one-use blood pressure cuffs on their patients. I didn't even know that such a thing existed until I saw them being used at that hospital. Just pause for a moment and think about all of the disease-causing microbes that can be carried from room to room with the blood pressure cuffs that are used on a succession of patients for... perhaps... several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey