Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
b75 b75 started this thread

950 posts, read 3,463,842 times

Advertisements

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Montclair center is perfect for you. Bellclair is new and may be expensive, but worth a look (depends on your budget). It's right off Bloomfield Ave. You really need to drive around. There are other buildings also within walking distance of downtown. Look around The Crescent, Trinity Place, Church St. If you have more questions, just ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM

45 posts, read 126,048 times
i think what you're describing sounds more like hoboken.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Thank you I'm familiar with Hoboken - I used to go there when I was in my early 20s...not really my scene anymore. Anyway just like alot of towns I was presuming Montclair had a spot that was most matched to what I was describing. I mean I would think many towns, especially ones so close to NYC would, have an upscale downtown area where young (30s) professionals, who are not yet settled down w/a family etc., congregate & live. And since Montclair is so close to NYC & has a college too I figured there had to be a section in this town like this as well. Any further information you might have regarding isolating that area in Montclair (& any associated entertainment, businesses/shopping) would be greatly appreciated - Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG631 View Post
i think what you're describing sounds more like hoboken.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
You should look on the streets off Bloomfield Ave between Valley Road and Elm/Grove Street. Church Street is really nice and there are some apartment building around there.
The area around Walnut Street train Station is also nice. I would stay away from the area immediately surrounding Bay Street train station.
Upper Montclair would also be good if you stay near the center (right around the Upper Montclair train station) - Valley Road and Bellevue.

If you're looking for a full serive building with a mixture of young singles and older retirees, check out Hawthorne Towers. I am in my late 20's and have lived there for the past year and really enjoy it. We have a doorman, parking, laundry, small gym, and a pool.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
I would choose the downtown area near bloomfield ave. There is plenty to do but isnt that much of a high class feeling. But NW Montclair has really nice homes and is not that far from downtown... and i made a mistake before, SW montclair is actually high class to... So to break it down, the West side of town is yuppy and the east side is middleclass/blue collar

and central is downtown... You choose theres a big mix there

Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM

259 posts, read 925,117 times
Montclair will suit your needs. I would highly recommend Morristown however.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Thank you all very much for the supplemental information...sounds like I am going to need to apply some of the info I got here to an in person visit. I will also definitely check out Hawthorne Towers...it doesn't appear they are really profiled online so I appreciate the tip!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Definitely take a look for yourself. There are at least 3 different areas of Montclair. I suggested downtown because it has the most nightlife. Upper Montclair (Valley Rd/Bellevue Ave) is also nice, but much smaller, with fewer restaurants and one movie theater. Downtown has everything. The third area would be Watchung Plaza. While it's also nice, I don't think it would interest you.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Thanks again! A few people have eluded to the demographic in Montclair center or the downtown area. Could anyone expand on the typical demographic that resides there?

Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Thanks again! A few people have eluded to the demographic in Montclair center or the downtown area. Could anyone expand on the typical demographic that resides there?
You will find a very diverse group; all ages, races, incomes. There's a new building (The Siena) condos starting at $400k+ as well as multi-family houses, apt buildings, etc...Lots of ethnic restaurants also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey