Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,567 times

Advertisements

for those who aren't familiar with this theater, the rialto was one of the last old-school, single-screen theaters in nj, and the only one remaining in bergen county. even though i hadn't been to this place in a while, i'm very sad to see it go. i actually hadn't heard that they were closing until i read the articles linked below; if i'd known earlier, i would've tried to catch one last screening before they shut their doors.

Last single-screen theater to close (http://www.northjersey.com/news/19448199.html - broken link)
Rialto owners prepare to close doors (http://www.northjersey.com/business/Rialto_owners_prepare_to_close_doors.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 09:26 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Didn't they play all kinds of great independent movies? Thats a damn shame

Old 06-15-2008, 09:51 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,042,567 times
yeah, for the last few years of their existence, they played foreign and indie films. along with a theater in montclair and a small place in teaneck, they were one of the only film houses in the area that did so.

in the late '90s, they showed bollywood films for a few years; before that, mainstream american movies. when i was a kid (especially before i had a car), i'd see movies at the end of the summer that had come out a couple of months earlier in all the big multiplexes. it was cheaper and less of a hassle than going to the multiplex over on rt. 46 (also in ridgefield park), although once my friends and i got our driver's licenses, we pretty much stopped going to the rialto in favor of the bigger theaters.

it's too bad about this place. in the city there are more than a few old-school theaters that hang on due to the high demand for indie and foreign film screenings, but in the suburbs it seems that the bigger, flashier theaters showing only mainstream flicks rule the day. as an example, the aforementioned multiplex on rt. 46 used to be THE place to go when i was in high school, but then it became somewhat obsolete once the multiplex on river rd in edgewater opened up. now there's that monster multiplex at the garden state plaza in paramus, so i'm sure all the kids go there instead. i haven't been there myself but i'm sure it's great; still, it's not the same experience for me as the cozier places without all the bells and whistles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey