Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:55 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,192 times

Advertisements

Who knows anything about Trenton. I know its supposed to be bad but I hear that there are some nice parts. Also it is very cheap and is there an easy commute to NY or Philly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I work in Trenton, and live 10 miles from Trenton. There isn't much good there. If you don't have kids (or if you have kids and can afford to send them to private school), there are a few good neighborhoods - Mill Hill, West Trenton, pockets of Chambersburg. There are certain blocks that are working to improve - there are a handful of projects going on throughout Trenton where they rip down or completely gut the row houses, and rebuild/restructure new ones that are gorgeous. There are one or two on South Clinton Ave that look promising. The city is working to improve the waterfront area (Lamberton Ave.) and the area around the Sovreign Bank Arena. I believe they are going to build some sort of condo/apartment building on South Broad by the arena.
I think Trenton is too far from NYC to commute, IMO. You can do a nice commute to Philly. You can do public transportation, or drive. The drive without traffic is 40 minutes. With traffic, could be an hour and a half.
If you are considering moving to Trenton, you need to be very, very cautious about where you choose to live. Some of the blocks are well established, with residents who have been there a long time, who keep things clean and keep the crime out. Other places are hell on earth. I can give feedback on most of the major streets if you need more info. Probably the worst section IMO is the northern area of town. To make a square: West State Street on the west part of the square, Parkway Ave making the east side of the square, Parkside Ave at the northern, top of the square and maybe Hermitage St. or a few blocks south of that making the southern, bottom part of the square. That whole area is ghetto, ripped up, full of roaches and crime, which is a shame, because you can tell some of the houses there were once beautiful.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM

359 posts, read 2,593,192 times
thanks alot that description really helped

Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
thanks alot that description really helped
For the love of god don't waste your time with Trenton. It's a terrible place, pretty sad for the 'capital'.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
For the love of god don't waste your time with Trenton. It's a terrible place, pretty sad for the 'capital'.
All that need be said on the topic. No sane person need waste their time considering Trenton.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,965 times
If there is a reason you need to be near Trenton, there is a section that is the border of Trenton and the older section of Hamilton, the homes are small and a bit older, but it's still pretty safe there--and you'll technically be in Hamiton.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:14 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
The further away from Trenton you are the happier you will be. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Don't waste your time with Hamilton.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 AM

9 posts, read 45,180 times
Morrisville, PA, has some of the lowest home sale prices in the area (compared to Yardley, etc.). You could probably pick up a 3-bedroom home for less than $180K.

Check on realtor.com and plug in 19067 for the zip.

Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by tahiti; 03-05-2008 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 12:45 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
All that need be said on the topic. No sane person need waste their time considering Trenton.
Actually I live in Trenton buddy and Im not a madman. I see you live in Hopewell... I lived there for almost 22 years and now live in Trenton. Just because most of the city is bad doesnt mean EVERY section is bad. Its bad advice to just say to stay out of EVERY section cause its just not right. The west side has a couple of decent sections and the one I live in now is a Polish section that borders Lawrence. Its a very quiet neighborhood, actually almost too much so for me lol! Neighbors are great and Im having a good time.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:07 PM

387 posts, read 1,429,789 times
Also, to the OP... are you looking to buy or rent, etc? If you are raising a family I would avoid it because they will end up going to Trenton High even if you are in a good section. Im renting a detached apartment right now for only 800 in a good section of town. They go as low as 500 for some but obviously in very undesireable areas. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey