Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

58 posts, read 343,326 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a house and need to weight staying in Bayridge v. moving to NJ. We always live in different cities and never in suburbs. So the move means a lot to us. If you moved from Brooklyn to NJ, please tell more about your motivations and anything else, what would help us to make this choce. I am not clear where exactly to move, but just to be specific, let's consider Fairlawn v. Bayridge.

How family frendlines compare?
How schools compare?
How way of life compares? Is it posible to do anything without driving a car?
How commute to wall st. area or to Jersey City compares?

thanks lots.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,706 times
I didn't make this switch, but two coworkers have... both from Brooklyn, both ended up moving to Maplewood.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I didn't make this switch, but two coworkers have... both from Brooklyn, both ended up moving to Maplewood.
Do you know reasons? What is the net outcome of their "happiness"?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,674,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohn View Post
Do you know reasons? What is the net outcome of their "happiness"?
A home vs. a townhouse, schools, etc is the main reason they moved.

The reason for Maplewood was because they felt it had the right mix; there is a good amount of an artistic element, its a pretty safe area, some homes are more reasonably priced, a direct train into NYC (midtown direct), its has its own and is close in proximity to very walkable downtowns, etc.

Both felt Maplewood was the right fit for them as an easy transition out of Brooklyn, still getting most of what they were looking for as the best of Brooklyn, and getting a great, family-friendly town in NJ to boot.

**EDIT**

And they still love it here, though they are surprised at the amount of work involved with home ownership

Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM

222 posts, read 779,795 times
Quote:
I am looking to buy a house and need to weight staying in Bayridge v. moving to NJ. We always live in different cities and never in suburbs. So the move means a lot to us. If you moved from Brooklyn to NJ, please tell more about your motivations and anything else, what would help us to make this choce. I am not clear where exactly to move, but just to be specific, let's consider Fairlawn v. Bayridge.

How family frendlines compare?
How schools compare?
How way of life compares? Is it posible to do anything without driving a car?
How commute to wall st. area or to Jersey City compares?

thanks lots.
We are moving from Brooklyn to Livingston shortly. Well, I guess it is personal preference. We donot like Brooklyn in general...it is convinient to live there to certain extent..grandma is close, many russian day cares...cheaper obviously than in Livingston...you can literally get nanny for any # of hours etc. But Schools are much better in Essex, plus I really wanna have backyard for my kids...it will be different life..plus we both work in Manhatten...it will be challenging, but I am really-really excited.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:05 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,909,646 times
Thumbs up Quality of home life

I have friends w/small children that moved from Brooklyn to Bloomfield NJ. They LOVE it. They have a yard w/grass and a driveway. Little things like that mean the world to them. Add the family atmosphere. The nice neighbors that cut their grass when they went on vacation. etc etc. Schools are better/safer. They have family in Brooklyn and when they go to visit, they can't WAIT to get back home to Bloomfield NJ.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
We are moving from Brooklyn to Livingston shortly. Well, I guess it is personal preference. We donot like Brooklyn in general...it is convinient to live there to certain extent..grandma is close, many russian day cares...cheaper obviously than in Livingston...you can literally get nanny for any # of hours etc. But Schools are much better in Essex, plus I really wanna have backyard for my kids...it will be different life..plus we both work in Manhatten...it will be challenging, but I am really-really excited.
Good luck with the move. Hope everything will workout.

BTW, how did you compare schools?
Also did you factored in the property taxes in NJ?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 AM

222 posts, read 779,795 times
Quote:
Good luck with the move. Hope everything will workout.

BTW, how did you compare schools?
Also did you factored in the property taxes in NJ?
Well, the property taxes...it is what it is..you just pay them or ...stay in Brooklyn
About schools..there were many topics about schools...just check the reports with scores, budgets etc..
I guess some people here on this forum can give you better idea..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 PM

49 posts, read 373,167 times
We made the move to Hawthorne a couple months back. Mainly, we wanted a "house" to start a family in for under 450K. That wasn't gonna happen in Brooklyn. Condos were going for more than that.

We looked in Chatham, Madison, and got hipped to Glen Rock and Ridgewood and ultimately wound up in Hawthorne to be close to GR and Ridgewood without paying Bergen's property taxes. Like it so far...but the walk to/from the train in Glen Rock (the closest of all the stations) is a little more uphill than I'd thought it would be.

I am a little homesick, though. I loved Brooklyn a lot. Grew up and lived in Sheepshead Bay for 30+ years. Just got priced out. What I miss most is the ability to walk everywhere, especially "down the bay" to where the fishing boats are. I loved Bay Ridge too, and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to lower Manhattan. Ah, well...

Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM

220 posts, read 624,067 times
NJ.com: School report card Here is all of 2007's NJ report cards. Plug in the town(s) you'd like to look at & it will give you an idea of how the school ranks among other NJ schools. I'm guessing NY has the same kind of resource that you can compare & contrast with.
The good thing about most of Northern NJ is, MOST of it is very commutable to NYC. Hence it being so populated. There are many NY transplants here who just decided they wanted a change to the "burbs" for whatever the reason. As I'm sure you've seen here on this board, many of us like NJ due it's proximaty to a little bit of everything....I'm way out in Morris Cnty & if I don't try rush hour, I can get to Manhattan in about an hour. I can get down to our 1st shore point in an hour! We can go skiing in NY State in about 2 hours & we actually can get to Philly from out here in a little over an hour as well...you'll also hear alot of negative feedback about the state as well but I'm a lover, not a hater...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey