Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 93,786 times

Advertisements

Hi, great forum! I am looking to buy a condo, and I keep hearing West NY is more affordable for Husdon County, close to NYC, but I am a single white woman, is the area safe? I am looking at a condo 1 block east of Palisades ave, but not quite on the "Gold Coast". How is it by night? I lived in Jersey City (downtown) in the past, so I like mixed ethnic, just don't want to feel unsafe returning home after 5pm in the winter.

Also, Anderson Ave. in Fairview, is it safe/good location? I have been by day, and it seems like a nice mixed ethnic community.

Thanks! Any advice is much appreciated!
Poppy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM

81 posts, read 317,557 times
that area of WNY is fairly safe, but you're likely to get whistled at by the hispanic men.

Guttenberg & the Woodcliff section of North Bergen would be better bets, and with some haggling you'd probably get a price equal to WNY.

the Anderson Ave. section of Fairview is dumpy & noisey.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 PM

15 posts, read 93,786 times
Thanks for your reply! I didn't feel great about WNY, so I am looking in Jersey City/North Bergen/Weehawkan these days.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,899 times
Default Fairview, WNY neighborhoods

I just moved to the Anderson Ave area of Fairview after living in West New York for 8 years. I love my new neighborhood! It is very ethinically diverse and there are lots of great "mom & pop" grocery stores and restaurants. Anderson Avenue can be busy with bus traffic. The area seems safe and I have felt comfortable walking in the neighborhood.

As for West New York, the best and safest areas to live are on or near Boulevard East and Port Imperial Boulevard. Unfortunately, the housing prices on Port Imperial are outragous right now. There is great bus/ferry access to NYC, and the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail goes to Hoboken. The biggest problem with West New York is parking. I highly recommend purchasing a unit with a parking space.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,281 times
Default boulevard east and 64th street West New York

I am looking on an appartment now boulevard east and 64th street new york west / is that an safe area... and how would traffic be if I have to go 78 east because I work in that direction and have to drive by car every morning.

I am living on Harrison Avenue Jersey City now, by a mistake because I was told it was safe, but afterwards I found out that it was for sure not the case - at least I hear from everyone - so I REALLY wants to move away from there very quickly..

Thanks for your replies everyone....

Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 PM

36 posts, read 158,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane32 View Post
I am looking on an appartment now boulevard east and 64th street new york west / is that an safe area... and how would traffic be if I have to go 78 east because I work in that direction and have to drive by car every morning.

I am living on Harrison Avenue Jersey City now, by a mistake because I was told it was safe, but afterwards I found out that it was for sure not the case - at least I hear from everyone - so I REALLY wants to move away from there very quickly..

I'm moving to the same neighbourhood this week and have been spending some time there. Safety should not be a major concern for you, no more than it would in any area, despite what you may hear ...

Parking will sometimes be tough from what I can tell. Do you have a garage or parking spot included with your apt?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 AM

8 posts, read 29,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dane32 View Post

You'll be fine on Blvd East... it's a great street with amazing NYC views. Getting to route 78 might be a pain though as you'll probably have to fight through some lincoln tunnel traffic to get there.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,956,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Drew View Post
You'll be fine on Blvd East... it's a great street with amazing NYC views. Getting to route 78 might be a pain though as you'll probably have to fight through some lincoln tunnel traffic to get there.
Count on it.

I'm trying to think if it would be better to drive to get on the NJ Turnpike in the Teaneck area and then go south. Although that will be traffic too....

Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 7,742 times
Default Guttenberg New Jersey

How safe would 70th street in Guttenberg New Jersey be for a single woman? Thank you.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 AM

4,184 posts, read 5,068,642 times
the closer to Blvd. East, the better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey