Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

If you live in a town that typically hosts some sort of 4th of July activities, is your town doing it on the 4th this year given that it falls on a Friday?

My town is having their fireworks display tomorrow. People are wondering why/who scheduled it for June. The mayor announced that the volunteer fire department requested that it NOT be done of the 4th of July so the firemen could spend time celebrating with their families.

This has raised some eyebrows - all in the direction of the FD's.

What's making it worse is that the firemen are overly defensive and even overly sensitive that they were even questioned as to how/why they would do that to the community at large. Some questions have been "don't you sign up knowing that 4/4 is a big day?" "it's volunteer...if you don't like the schedule, don't volunteer" and "why not the 3rd, the 5th or the 6th?". The comebacks are "what do YOU volunteer for" and "don't you know what we do? Show some respect" and "we deserve to spend time with our families too".

I'm not understanding how the actions and motives of volunteers shouldn't be questioned but that seems to be what a lot of people are saying.

I'm in the middle on this one.

But I do wonder where these volunteer firemen spend every other 4th of July. The fireworks are NEVER,and least from what I remember, held in this town on the 4th - and until the recent past, there hadn't been fireworks in this town for a good 10 years or so. I'm not understanding or at least having a hard time with understanding their request.

Any comments?

Last edited by Informed Info; 06-26-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: I cant spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
As a former volunteer FF, the day didn't matter - if you were covering the fireworks (we had 4 squads, one squad on duty per month, responding or covering certain events, other three for calls of significance), you were covering the fireworks. It rotated each year, so it didn't really matter.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,323 times
Wow! That stinks sawdust. Personally, I think the firemen will regret that decision and here is why:

The 4th of July is notorious for the "backyard Bobs" setting off pretty dangerous fireworks on their own. Since your town will not have "professionals" handling them, I bet dollars to donuts, you're gonna have MORE "backyard bobs" doing their own thing thus, accidents, unintentional fires, etc... So....the firemen celebrating with their families will be called out anyway. Ironic!

You are never gonna stop the "backyard bobs" but to have nothing on the actual holiday is just inviting trouble.

One year in California, my hubby was in the hot tub and a bottle rocket came within inches of his head and exploded in our backyard. Scary!

Shanny

P.S. No offense to BobKovacs

Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Wow! That stinks sawdust. Personally, I think the firemen will regret that decision and here is why:

The 4th of July is notorious for the "backyard Bobs" setting off pretty dangerous fireworks on their own. Since your town will not have "professionals" handling them, I bet dollars to donuts, you're gonna have MORE "backyard bobs" doing their own thing thus, accidents, unintentional fires, etc... So....the firemen celebrating with their families will be called out anyway. Ironic!

You are never gonna stop the "backyard bobs" but to have nothing on the actual holiday is just inviting trouble.

One year in California, my hubby was in the hot tub and a bottle rocket came within inches of his head and exploded in our backyard. Scary!

Shanny

P.S. No offense to BobKovacs
Even the non-backyard bobs have issues. I use to work for an engineering firm many moons ago and one of our client's was the guy who lights the fireworks for the netcong fireworks festival... well he had two fingers on one hand and only a thumb on the other... even the "professionals" can get hurt and possibly burn down the neighborhood.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,173 times
My town never does the official fireworks/Independence Day celebration on July 4th. This year it will be June 28! Even though I do not attend because of the crowds, I have to say I find this stupid & offensive. July 4th is not just a BBQ & fireworks day, it is a celebration of the birth of this nation. It is called Independence Day because that is the reason for the holiday. I firmly believe it should be celebrated on the proper day. BTW, I have never heard an official explanation for the weird choices of dates each year in my town, but if it because of the volunteer firemen, I'm afraid I don't have that much sympathy. This is part of the job. Besides, how long can a municipal fireworks display last? You have the rest of the day & most of the night to be with your families. And isn't the fire department on call anyway along with the police and EMS (who are also volunteers?)? Backyard firework fools are very likely to need some sort of help.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,869,313 times
How many layers of dust did you have to go through to get to a seven year old thread?

But thanks for adding to the discussion. Really clarifies things.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM

262 posts, read 798,704 times
Do none of you take into consideration that these men and women are VOLUNTEERS -- volunteering their time and risking their lives to keep your town safe every other day of the year?? They are every day people -- they work full-time jobs in addition to volunteering, have families, and also deserve to enjoy a day off on the birthday of our nation.

If this was a PAID position, or a full-time JOB, I could understand your frustrations, but it isn't -- they are VOLUNTEERS.

Why this sense of entitlement that they should have to work on a national holiday for YOUR amusement??

::end rant::

Old 06-23-2015, 11:39 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
How many layers of dust did you have to go through to get to a seven year old thread?

But thanks for adding to the discussion. Really clarifies things.
...and to create an account for the sole purpose of complaining/talking about July 4th. People never cease to amaze me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey