Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times

Advertisements

Upper Freehold Schools are no where near comparision to freehold twp or howell....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
North Howell goes to Freehold Twp Now, and some of Howell High School...It used to be where they went to colts neck but they were rezoning schools because of the population growth and other resaons...North Howell has alot of MCMANSIONS as well and taxes are very high compared to freehold twp...we lived in Manalapan, moved to Millstone twp schools were awful and now we are in jackson Im on the Freehold and Millstone Twp Border and I love the schools here....anyway thats all folks!!

good luck

NJmom, did that just happen this school year? They were still going to Colts Neck just recently weren't they?

I heard from a friend in Millstone that her child had to be on the school bus for over an hour to get to Allentown. Is it still that way?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Ms Charlotte,
Yes they apparenlty started rezoning again, my g/f who would have been going to Colts Neck is now going to Freehold Twp and that i why she decided not to move out of her area of howell...She isnt a fan of colts neck hs...yes One of the reasons why we moved out of Millstone was I refused to have my son go to Allentown Hs, A..its awful, B.Yes they are on the bus for over 45 minutes which is INSANE...they are a sending district and the state refuses to grant them a HS for Millstone because there arent enough kids in Upper Freehold/Allentown area to make up all of Allentown HS,...When we moved to Jackson from there my son was in 4th grade and he was 9.5 months BEHIND the cirriculum when he was tested here...and only HERE did they find out he learns Visually and not Auditorilly...this district has been my god send, anyway, For a District that has tons of money and property taxes of over 14k a year not to have a HS and to have schools that are awful is sad...People there are sending their kids to Catholic School Hs which is funny becuase they left Staten Island NY so they wouldnt have to put their kids in Catholic Schools...go figure...

Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Default Please explain

Quote:
Upper Freehold Schools are no where near comparision to freehold twp or howell....
NJmomof2:
Please explain what you mean.
Are they worse? Are they Better? In what way? Using the Education.State.edu website statistics? Or another source of information? I'm interested.
thankx

Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Default Question HS

Quote:
Ms Charlotte,
Yes they apparenlty started rezoning again, my g/f who would have been going to Colts Neck is now going to Freehold Twp and that i why she decided not to move out of her area of howell...She isnt a fan of colts neck hs...yes One of the reasons why we moved out of Millstone was I refused to have my son go to Allentown Hs, A..its awful, B.Yes they are on the bus for over 45 minutes which is INSANE...they are a sending district and the state refuses to grant them a HS for Millstone because there arent enough kids in Upper Freehold/Allentown area to make up all of Allentown HS,...When we moved to Jackson from there my son was in 4th grade and he was 9.5 months BEHIND the cirriculum when he was tested here...and only HERE did they find out he learns Visually and not Auditorilly...this district has been my god send, anyway, For a District that has tons of money and property taxes of over 14k a year not to have a HS and to have schools that are awful is sad...People there are sending their kids to Catholic School Hs which is funny becuase they left Staten Island NY so they wouldnt have to put their kids in Catholic Schools...go figure...

Why do you feel that Allentown HS is "awful" ? Is it the 45 minute bus ride or is the HS really bad? Please elaborate. I'm interested.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ms Charlotte,

My children are not of HS age. We were at the new Primary School in CN, which is great. I've heard about the problems at CN High, though. A lot of the same at most of the surrounding schools, I'd guess.

Are your children in the Freehold Regional District?

What's going on with the move? Have you narrowed down an area of NC yet? You're going to love it here. Although I loved Monmouth County, I wouldn't go back for anything.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
[quote=Phish Head;282056]Freehold Boro: 80% illegal immigrants, 20% people looking to get out. The immigrants live 10-12 people per apartment. I've seen a few apartments- wall to wall mattresses. Illegal immigration is a BIG problem here. As soon as the town tries to do something, like limit the number of people that can live in one apartment, there is a massive protest on the town hall steps and they drop the issue. There is an area off Throckmorton St. where huge hordes of day laborers wait for work, hundreds of people.

Freehold Township: Expensive, mostly huge new homes on treeless land that was once poultry farms, horse farms, dairy farms. Think wealthy families living in 5,000 sq. foot homes with three garages, but only two or 3 people live there. Thats most of Freehold Township.

The statement about the Township is absolutely untrue. I've lived in the Township for nearly twenty years and the majority of homes are probably in the area of 20 to thirty years old, with some older. Yes all the new homes are expensive (as they are anywhere in Monmouth County) Homes in Freehold Township can be had for 400K and up. The median income for the township per household is about $78,000 a year (far from wealthy in my books) and the taxes on homes in Freehold Township are among the lowest in the area. As far as the Boro I would like to know where you got your stats from (I hope your not just a Boro hater). The demographics of the Boro are aprox. 73% white, 16% black and the remainder broken down between latino, asian and other which means aprox. 11% are in the category other than black / white.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:37 AM

Ms Charlotte....No I live in Jackson, however alot of my friends kids go to Freehold Twp and as a realtor its good to be informed...It really becomes personal preference, certain people want or need different things for the schools...As far as Allentown HS is concerned, I lived in Monmouth before I became a realtor but anyway, one of my moms friends taught there and basically said its not so good acedemically and it has had its problems with violence against other students as well as well the drugs, which I am aware of is EVERYWHERE but its well known there and for the taxes people pay I just couldnt stay there any longer...My child is not in HS yet, but it still hasnt changed from years ago....I cant really speak much more about it as some of you know as realtors we are bound to legality and ethics so I can only say so much, with that as a Parent I wasnt going to let my children go there...

Ms Charlotte,
My son is in middle school, I live right on the border of Freehold Twp and millstone (195) to be exact...Six Flags is around the corner, anyway im at the END of jackson and should have been monmouth..LOL....but anyway I sell alot of Freehold, Jackson and Howell and always keep my self abreasted on schools....We have narrowed it down to Weddington/Marvin Area.....we are looking in Cureton, Quellin and hunter oaks....

Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 AM

exhdo1, I know you're a fan of the Boro, as I've always been-but I think both sets of stats are incorrect.

For one, the Press itself stated that the schools are 60% Latino. I would question any stats of the town itself because the illegals are not exactly participating in the census. Having lived there, I'm sure it's not 80/20 as Phish Head said, but definitely more Hispanics than 16%!! All it takes is one day in the neighborhood to figure that out. Seriously, besides the restaurant clientele on Main, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone walking the streets who is NOT Latino. I feel pretty qualified to make that statement, having lived right off of Main Street. We actually moved out of the Twp, and into the Boro because we loved it so much and believed in the town. Big mistake for us.

I love that Freehold Boro, and I know you are a staunch defender of it, but what's happening there (or has happened) cannot be denied.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Ms Charlotte....No I live in Jackson, however alot of my friends kids go to Freehold Twp and as a realtor its good to be informed...It really becomes personal preference, certain people want or need different things for the schools...As far as Allentown HS is concerned, I lived in Monmouth before I became a realtor but anyway, one of my moms friends taught there and basically said its not so good acedemically and it has had its problems with violence against other students as well as well the drugs, which I am aware of is EVERYWHERE but its well known there and for the taxes people pay I just couldnt stay there any longer...My child is not in HS yet, but it still hasnt changed from years ago....I cant really speak much more about it as some of you know as realtors we are bound to legality and ethics so I can only say so much, with that as a Parent I wasnt going to let my children go there...

Ms Charlotte,
My son is in middle school, I live right on the border of Freehold Twp and millstone (195) to be exact...Six Flags is around the corner, anyway im at the END of jackson and should have been monmouth..LOL....but anyway I sell alot of Freehold, Jackson and Howell and always keep my self abreasted on schools....We have narrowed it down to Weddington/Marvin Area.....we are looking in Cureton, Quellin and hunter oaks....

Yeah, I had concerns about drugs and some other things. There's a joke that the wealthier towns just having better drugs than other districts. Not too funny of a joke, huh?

I used to live right down the road in Cream Ridge (where 537 and 539 intersect). It's beautiful there. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling your home. I'm out of the loop when it comes to NJ Real Estate, though! Funny how one year (especially the past one) can change everything!

Are you planning to sell RE here?
I love those neighborhoods! I know quite a few people who live in Hunter Oaks-they love it. Will you be visiting again soon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey